Thumbs up for the Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Capt America, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

I just got a Futur recently and while the first shave was a bit rough... Todays shave was totally awesome.

I think part of the problem with the first time was I used a Derby, which in my TTO didn't work too well for me.. But I didn't wanna start with the sharp feathers(what I prefer in my TTO). Well today I decided what the hey, put a feather in and as I was hoping, todays shave was awesome.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Glad to hear you had a good one. ::

3. TomH

TomH Welcome Wagon

Hello Capt.,

...congrats, good choice with the Futur.
    It's a great razor, gives me a smooth shave everytime I use it, also with the "Harakiri"-Feather blade...:D

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Ive had mine for a cuppa weeks now...
    still learning how to use her properly :o

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Keep at it Rick. :signs107 You too Cap. I have found a with the weight of the Futur, a dull blade makes it tougher for you because when a Futur skips, there is a lot of weight behind it when it hits the skin again. Mass + velocity = razor burn.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Keep at it guys! You'll find what works for you.

7. Capt America

Capt America Member

Just an update-

After thoroughly using it, it's become apparent to me that it's just a bit to agressive.

I think I'm likely to trade it and stick with my Gilette TTO.

8. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Hey Cap'um

Do you find it too agressive on Setting #1? if yes, then i understand. Used mine this morning with fresh Derby on 2.5 and got a great shave. YMMV of course but have you used different settings with different blades?

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Cap, try changing your angle. For me, the Futur requires a different angle than a lot of other razors. I have to remember this every time I pick it up after shaving a week or two with something else.

10. Capt America

Capt America Member

A different angle like... how?

I usually rest the head of the razor on my face and lower the blade down until I feel it touch the skin and shave from there.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

That actually should do it. Since the roundness of the head can make the angle deceptive. The only other thing I have found is let the razor do all the work. The weight should be enough pressure. Also, I use a feather blade. To some that is scary but I want zero skipping with the Futur if I can possibly help it. Like all equipment though, some are not a good fit for some people. Str8s are a great example. I'm sure there are lots of people out there that wouldn't mind having a Futur if you decide you can't live with it.

12. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I think the Futur should be a 'keeper'. It was my first DE as well....but like a lot of other gents.....I rediscovered it once I had gained more experience.

Just my opinion.