** Update **Rooney S1/S1 Shedder

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hillbilly79, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Just measured the loft, a scant 42mm. 3mm shorter than advertised. I just hope the steam removal method doesn't hurt the handle. I want to remove the knot intact for my own investigation.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Hillbilly79

Mr Carrington, do you have any tips that might make this as painless as possible? I've followed along with your endeavors, and I know it can be hit or miss sometimes.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well I would recommend steaming only for around 5 - 7 minutes. Wrap the knot up in aluminum foil to try to preserve the knot. If it is glued in then you should be able to pop the knot.

I had the reversed situation today where the knot could not be steamed out and I had to sacrifice the handle. Now on this one I did not really care about the handle, I cared about the knot but the reverse can be true as well.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/dissection-of-stirling-synthetic-brush.46250/

As to your knot, if has been epoxied in (sometimes that happens) then you will have to sacrifice the knot with the Dremel approach since even steam cannot get hot enough. Your number one goal is to protect the handle so if the steaming won't work then you will have to switch to a manual extraction of the knot. Good fortune on your work.

macaronus likes this.
  4. Hillbilly79

Thank you very much for the advice.

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I hope steaming will suffice, Hillbilly!

6. Hillbilly79

2015-07-31 21.20.55.jpg 2015-07-31 21.23.39.jpg 2015-07-31 21.13.32.jpg 2015-07-31 21.20.55.jpg Well the knot is free! Took two rounds of steam, 5 minutes each, and some elbow grease, but it came out. Cleaned out the hole, and it measures 22mm wide x 21mm deep. Dicovered that Rooney uses type of ballast material to add weight, and possibly to adjust bore depth of the handle. I will most likely take a page out of Mr. Carrington's book and adjust this material and add a birth year nickel. The base of the knot only measures 18mm wide. Seems narrow to me for a 22mm bore.

Now my question for everyone here is this, do I go with a 18 or 20mm knot for this 22mm bore. I will most likely stay with a 42mm-45mm loft to stay true to the brush I bought and really liked. Definitely will be a fan knot as well.

I know everyone likes pics, including me.

GDCarrington and macaronus like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I'd go for a 20 mm knot. I like a fuller knot. But that's me. YMMV. :)

8. Hillbilly79

I am the same. I can't stand a floppy brush. For as dense as the factory knot was, I was surprised it measured 18mm at the base.

macaronus likes this.
  9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Sorry You had that trouble with your Rooney. Roone yand M&F are the only brushes I use and I haven't had any trouble, but I don't own a Silvertip either. This happened to me once with a Simpsons. ONCE.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent, now that I see the brush I remember that have worked with this style Rooney handle in the past. You are right, these knots were made small so that they would splay more and have more give to feel softer. That was a planned approach on the construction of the brush.

Take a look at the following thread.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/rooney-bengal-transformation.33642/

You will have less mush and give with a larger diameter knot. A 20 mm should work a lot better than the smaller 18 mm or you will fall into the same issue as before.

Good work and I look forward to the finished product.

PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  11. Hillbilly79

Would a knot that has a chipped base still be a good candidate? I have located a 20 mm super badger knot, but is chipped out some.

The only other option I have found is a Shave mac knot to get what I am looking for. Not a whole lot of options readily available right now in a 20mm fan.

IMG_20150815_203351_762.jpg

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hm. Dunno. Looks a bit fishy to me, but I don't have much experience with chipped knots. I hope someone else has a more thourough reply for ya! ;)

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That will work if you plan to epoxy it in there. Just make sure the handle has a little bit of epoxy on the side walls (part way up) as well as the bottom, and give the knot a good twist when you set it. GD will probably say something similar.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had a knot chipped like that. The knot came out in my hand as I was squeezing the water out. It was also chipped as a result. I stuck a quarter under it and used JB Weld and is going strong good as new

15. Hillbilly79

** Update **

It's been awhile since I have posted anything about my little Rooney brush. I spent days looking at knot reviews till I thought my eyes would bleed. I wanted to stay true to the original brush knot as I could. This was my first experience with ordering and setting a knot.

In hindsight, I know now I ordered the wrong size knot. I ordered a Shavemac 18mm x 60mm Silvertip Fan, or so I thought. My experience with Shavemac was painless. Shipping was super fast. What I received was a 18mm x 54mm ST Fan. If I had to do it over, I would have went with a 20mm knot, and emailed Shavemac prior to my order to make sure I selected the loft correctly. Oh well, I made the best of the situation.

2015-11-08 12.34.54.jpg

The knot is a great knot. Very fine hair, and very full. It does have gel tips when wet, and the hooked tips do clump together when dry. You just have to brush you hand across the tips when dry to separate the hairs.

2015-11-08 14.13.44.jpg

Well the knot maybe great, but the handle bore was still a little big. I used loctite epoxy putty to fill in the handle bore. The bottom of the hole is 20mm diameter. I tapered the epoxy to 21mm just shy of the handle opening to prevent the epoxy from being seen. I test fit the knot to see where it would naturally sit. Since I liked a little more backbone, I went 2mm deeper. The knot was set 16mm deep, with a final loft of 38mm.

2015-11-08 14.42.33.jpg

Now this is a small brush. You will not use it with a deep soap mug. This is a great face lathering brush though. The Shavemac Silvertip Fan is great. Even at 38mm loft, I can get a 3 pass shave out of it, and still rinse soap out of it. It releases lather very well. This little brush will handle creams, croaps, and hard soaps like Tabac. It has become one of my favorites.

2015-11-08 14.55.15.jpg

The brush has bloomed a little, but will never get too big. I am very glad this little Rooney was able to rise from the ashes with a little help from some Germans and a hillbilly.

Just remember, when life hands you lemons, just make lemonade!

macaronus and CyanideMetal like this.