-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

2. brit

brit in a box

ahh yes the australian set.england got the u.s style post war design in 1949 in this case..

MacDaDad likes this.
  3. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Holy smokes, thats an impressive looking razor. Just the pic says its built like a ummmm...its built tough lol! Super pretty razor, too. Looks like a well built piece of precision machinery. How would you describe the shave, Gary? It almost looks like a one pass wonder.

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

thank you Chris.this one is supposed to be a little different than my others so not sure yet,but heavy like a red tip and like setting 5-6 maybe..

MacDaDad and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    brit likes this.
  6. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Thank you Gary and Andon.

tonich likes this.
  7. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

Just happened to be scrolling through old posts and I came across this......MASTERPIECE!!! Hats off to you sir for the most incredible and interesting shave setup I have ever seen! To say I'm jealous is an understatement ;)

brit likes this.
  8. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

It's with great sadness that must inform that I have had to sell off the majority of my vintage Gillette collection due to an unforeseen financial situation. I did leave myself my 109 Fatboy Adjustable because it was the first vintage razor I ever purchased and to remind myself that my collection started somewhere and it can start there again....This happens to a lot of us at some point right?

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

that would be the 3rd gen ,has the solid knob and the same/similar head to your aristocrat jr.the 2nd gen looks like a u.s 49 executive with a 1st gen oc head only with a safety bar.blade support sits below the doors..
    in order ..
    1938 Aristocrat 15 rhodium.jpg 1948 Aristocrat No21.jpg 1948 Aristocrat No16.jpg 1952 Aristocrat No22.jpg

BigD, MacDaDad, Droo78 and 2 others like this.
  10. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Been through what you are going through back in the 70s, you will bounce back and learn how to avoid falling into this problem again. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i am sorry to hear Jake.i have experienced selling of my goods a few times over the years with kids,life ,work shortage and so on.current climate is sketchy as well.sold/traded off over 30 in the last month or so,but they were ones i don't use often..they are replaceable..glad you kept your fatboy,it will cover the bases ..if i had to liquidate everything i could keep a few favorites as they are worn and not valuable enough to generate income..good luck..:)

Jake Gibson likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

hello Mac.here is another nacet variant,sold as a Minora..another gillette umbrella company name..
    s-l1600.jpg
    not my pic..

BigD, MacDaDad and Droo78 like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Been there, done that. The majority of my collection is going to, at some point, supplement my retirement. Or pay for my funeral. I have no children and am unlikely to, and no family members that share my hobby to pass this stuff on to.

Most of the razors I have, I have because I was looking for a better shave. For you, the keeper was the Fatboy. For me, it's a 67 Gillette super speed, the first vintage Gillette razor I purchased, and my '36 first gen brit OC 'crat.

14. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Man, for a second there I thought I was the only poor guy in here. My life savings are in DE blades, soap, cologne and razors. And it's not all that much.:D

brit likes this.
  15. MacDaDad

And to think Gary, that razor has literally been through the was. Who knows, it may have seen the action.

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

may well have..definitely dropped once or so..;)...

MacDaDad likes this.
  17. MacDaDad

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

thank you Mac..:D..might be another available in the future if you want one..will keep you informed..:)

MacDaDad likes this.
  19. MacDaDad

Have DE blades appreciated much in the past three years? ;)

brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

they haven't depreciated..some go on sale from time to time..:).more of a if someone needs them and you have them market..

MacDaDad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.