1 day, 2 double rings

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by D.irving79, Oct 22, 2008.

1. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

so ive been waiting for this auction to end. if you look REALLY, REALLY close at the handle under the lower part of the head, youll see the signature double ring.

a gillette double ring for $12 and change.

then about 5 minutes ago i saw this double ring while browsing ebay. looked so great i had to grab that one too ;)

now dont get me wrong, i am tried and true when it comes to gem razors, but you can never have enough double rings.........ymmv

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Dave, that is insane. Nice snags!

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Great scores, Dave! That second one is off the hook!

This is all we need -- competition from the SE set! :happy102

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I'll trust you on the first one. Damn, great scores!!

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

chris - im gonna post pictures of the first double ring (or mystery double ring we should call it) when it gets here.

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

If I may ask, what makes the double ring something special? Are they rarer than other razors?

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

They were basically the first Gillette razors and were only made for a couple years at the turn of the century and in limited quantities. They were followed by the more common single ring.

8. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

There hasnt been much talk about double rings untill you freaks came around. But if they were made in 1919 does that mean they use the thick blades like the old types?

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

technically, yes :)

not directed towards you, but i have to say i dont know why people seem to think that a modern DE blade wont work in these razors. i/MANY other people had no problems whatsoever using modern blades in gillette razors dating back as far as 1904. i guess its a ymmv thing.

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

The 1919 is a single ring, and it does use the thicker blades. I have used mine a couple of times without a shim, and newer, thinner blades don't fit exacly right. I have to hold the blade by the sides as I tighten the handle so I don't end up with uneven exposure.

12. JayKay

I dont think anybody said that the wont work. I think the general idea was that the old style blades were thicker, so now when you tighen it further down with a thinner and more flexable blade the angle will increase more and give you a rather aggressive shave. If you like aggressive razors, than its fine. Otherwise, stick with more modern less aggressive varieties or shim it.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ino not here, but in the past, people act like the new blades wont work at all. i was just sayin ;)

but the thicker blade thing is spot on. the old type w/ a thicker blade can actually be considered an adjustable b/c of the negative 1/4 turn of the knob you could do.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    And that folks is how you win votes for your avatar. :p

15. JayKay

Interesting. Now I may have to give one of those big old razors a try. Theyve always looked pretty interesting and seem to be going for cheap on the bay'.

JoAnna, cummmon. We sit around ignoring girlfriends/wives/children to aggressivly bid on vintage razors on ebay. Were all a bit strange.

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Too true!

:happy097

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :p

You didn't say "us freaks". :p

:D

18. JayKay

Thats only because I dont have an Ebay account. I spend to much time talking on here though. So I'm included.

19. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

lol

freak. I guess my avatar is only scary if you are a member of the UCF football team next Sunday night

20. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Good eye, great find. That second one is beautiful!