1903 Double ring???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by seamus402, Oct 16, 2007.

1. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Yeah, looks like a 1903 :drool

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Looks that way doesn't it. :( I had seen that auction but passed over it because I saw the other two razors and I already have examples of those.

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Does anyone mind if I jump in and learn something here. I understand that there is a difference between a double ring razor and a single ring razor. I am not sure of the difference between the two. I was told somewhere that the single ring actually performs better then the double ring and the extra ring was added as a way to make the product cheaper to produce, actually worse for the customer.

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

The double was the first DE Gillette made i believe

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Does anyone mind educating me on this matter? Why the different names? Does one shave better than the other? Was one produced to lower production costs and charge the customer more? (Seems to be a re-ocurrubg theam with Gillette) Is one better than the other?

7. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

Not sure about one being better for the shave than the other - the double ring was the first Gillette - 1903. Collectible from my point of view. Can't get correct blades to shave with it. The blades were thicker then. Just a piece of history. Something my great grandpappy may have shaved with.

It is boomer nostalgia at its finest.

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

If memory serves me correctly some of the guys have used washers under a newer blade to account for the thickness that the older blades had.