An odd exposure

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I have a 1918 WWI Ball End that needed repair, which I did. It seems though that in the field that owner broke the original screw post for the handle and replaced it with something similiar to keep both halves together.

I tried it this morning. Odd thing I noticed was that one side had an exposure of 3/64 - 1/8 of an inch the other was about half that. I took off the head and look at the centering of the blade. It appeared centered in all three posts. I tried it once more and it felt like someone was sandpapering my face. I put it away and went to another DE.

Any thoughts as to rectification?

2. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Is the screw post perfectly perpendicular to the head? If it was even slighlty off it would cause that result.

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

It has a little wiggle room maybe 1/64 of an inch. The female end on the handle is tight and straight.

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I discovered what I believe to be the malfunction.

It appears the WW1 model cap for the head is significantly flatter and narrower than the 1920.

The 1920 cap is about 1/4" thick at its highest point. The WW1 model is about 1/8" thick at its highest point. The WW1 model is also curved flatter than the 1920.

The only post that seems to have been replaced is the center post. Anyone seen anything like this before?

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Can't say I have seen anything like that, but if I did, it is in a big cigar box in my cabinet with all the other razors that I keep for spare parts.