Fedoras, Pork Pies, Trilbys, What is Your Favorite Hat?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I have quit wearing hats. I don't wanna hurt the pomp.

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I've found if I find a fedora that fits properly....no more 'hat head'....:happy102:.....actually my last hat is unlined and fits perfect and I can wear it all day and when I take it off....my hair is totally unaffected...The 'due' is cool...so to speak....:happy088:

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

That's quite intresting! I may have to get one... or a good ole Lincon cap :o

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Since moving to N.C. I've found next to nothing but today came across a very nice fedora. The name on the silk is Whitehall, which I've not encountered before and can find no info about. The hat is a dove grey-ish of the Stratoliner style...lightweight fur with the thin ribbon and matching brim edge. Has one not noticeable small moth hole on the rear brim but otherwise perfectly intact, couldn't pass it up for $20. Fits passably well for being a size too small but the brim is a bit too wide for me. Anyone familiar with this old maker?

Also found a very nice dark blue newsboy "flap" on clearance at Target for $7. Very lightweight, I'll be wearing that often.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Could it be as simple as it's a Stetson Whitehall model?
    http://www.westernbootsales.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TSWHTL-6121
    http://www.hats-plus.com/p-1142-stetson-whitehall-milan-straw-fedora-hat.aspx

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Already found that name but it's not straw, it's vintage light fur felt. And no mention of Stetson anywhere on it, just Whitehall as in the maker, not a model name. So I got nuthin.

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Warmer weather calls for cooler hats. One of two new acquisitions: a Jaxon Panama.
    2016-04-17 10.33.17.jpg

8. Bird Lives

Looks very nice...has a very nice shape and looks well ventilated...You wear it well...

9. rmcintyre84

Thank you. It's one of two I received from The Village Hat Shop on Friday. It's very well made, including reinforcement on the inside of the front pinch.

10. rmcintyre84

Another new Summer hat. A Stetson snap brim.
    2016-04-24 13.53.19.jpg

11. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Top hat (for special occasions...e.g. when I dine with royalty)...and a flat cap (for daily use...e.g. hanging out at the coffee shop)

GatorJoe likes this.
  12. Bird Lives

Which one you like better?
    Is that the Stetson Panama Fedora?

13. rmcintyre84

I prefer the Stetson Fedora to the Jaxon Panama. I'm not sure which Stetson this is; I bought it two weeks ago from The Village Hat Shop, and now I can't find it on their site. It's one of their less-expensive hats, if that helps.

14. rmcintyre84

One of my birthday presents to myself.
    2016-04-29 07.44.10.jpg

youngunn and Bobcat like this.
  15. Bird Lives

Happy Birthday!
    Beautiful hat....Perfect for Summer....I like the crown shape....:happy088:

16. rmcintyre84

Thank you.

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

That hat looks natural on you! Nice!

18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I've found that with our climate, an ivy cap or newsboy cap works best. Much better than a hat in windy weather, though the rain protection of a good hat is superior.

19. rmcintyre84

Did you all know that Stetson makes a bourbon? I just discovered it a few days ago. It's $25-27. It's rather smooth over ice, and lacks the harshness you sometimes find in whiskeys at that price point.
    2016-05-06 12.32.00.jpg

20. rmcintyre84

My participation in TSD is now primarily limited to this forum and "What's In Your Glass?" Has anyone ever thought about expanding this thread a bit? Perhaps we could steal a few ideas from the shaving threads, like adding a "What Are You Waiting For?" or "The Haul" threads. Even HOTD...Hat of the Day. Just thinkin'.