Gillette is best. YMMV

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Sep 29, 2021.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So as you’ve probably seen, I’ve been playing with Gems the last month or so. I have had enough shaves that I feel comfortable starting to form an opinion. For me, Gillette DE razors give a closer shave. Three passes and minor touch up for BBS. For single edge, I get the same results from Schick as I do Gillette, it just maneuvers differently. Gems are more work, and I get stubble sooner than with a Schick or Gillette. The differences are negligible, but noticeable. I’m still going to use the Gem platform in rotation with all the others, but that’s where it’s at now. Who knows, maybe a month isn’t enough time? Maybe the rigidity of the blade makes the difference. I love the look of the razors, and the build quality is off the charts, and I haven’t binned a blade yet. I think they last forever. I’m thinking the DE may have been the pinnacle of shaving technology though, albeit with higher cost per shave. We’ll see. The journey will continue…well, I started this journey in 2009, so maybe it’s eternal?

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

MMDV. Never experienced any Gillette that could approach the efficiency of my Gem shaves. You must work for Gillette or shave with hardware store Gem blades.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ron R and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

11ish years ago, I felt the same way, said the same thing after trying my hand at Gem style razors. They just kept eating me up and I didn't get anywhere near the same results as my DE razors.

Fast forward 11ish years, took in hand a Gem style razor via the 3D printed TNNSER by Tom, was floored by the fantastic shave and now most of my DE razors have been relegated to the "no thanks" drawer. The TNNSER, the also 3D printed SE Adjustable by Roger and the Gem Clog Pruf Peerless (aka 17-teeth Clog Pruf) are my number 1 razors, all Gem style SE razors. Well there's also my TARMAX IN RG aluminum injector razor also by Tom but we're talking SE vs DE here. The only DE razors in my usage collection that come close to my SEs are my Gillette Senator and Aristocrat razors and my Roller Guard razor.

So my advice... Hide your SE razors in a drawer and come back to them later on. You may find yourself well surprised as I did.

4. jay_gatz

Don't work for Gillette, and I am using PTFE Coated Gem Blades. After figuring out to give the brand new blades a quick hand strop, the first shave no longer has the bite it used to, and the shave itself is non-irritating and blade feel is very smooth, no issues there. I think it's more of a head geometry and shape of my face sort of thing.

Can't hide them, I still need to try the bullet and the Gem Jr.

SRQShaver and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

We'll require a full team of scientists (from the institute) to look into this . Gem for decades was marketed to those left with Gillette's 5 o'clock shadow.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  6. jay_gatz

I know right? That is what surprises me the most, it clearly can't be the razor, it must be the face. You know who used a Gillette but needed a GEM? Don Draper. That dude's beard is still there after shaving.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    jmudrick likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well those were the Contour years where Gem/ASR got pretty soft. He would have to have gone vintage I think.

HoosierTrooper and IAmTheJody like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I find myself using SE razors more than DE. I've been using my Damaskeene razors over the last week or so with very nice results.

HoosierTrooper and jmudrick like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

There is nothing wrong with liking what you like and neither are exclusive. I would give the SE some more time as a month isn't very long. It took me using the same MMCP for a few months until I had my technique fully dialed in with the razor. I still like my DE razors, but for the past few years the vast majority of shaves have been SE.

10. jay_gatz

Like I said before, I am not quitting the SE's, I love the Schick's, I just don't have as much luck with the GEM's, and I am going to keep trying them. We'll see where it goes.

jmudrick and PanChango like this.
  11. jay_gatz

So today I gave the replated GEM Jr a go 'round. First GEM shave that rivals a Gillette. I am thinking the shorter handled versions that are older work best for me. The shovel head and GEM Jr have been the best results for me thus far.

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

When I first got into the ASR SE brand of razors that hold the Gem SS PTFE blade I had good Technique with the DE razor brands and as winter months approached and my ASR razor technique matured more I noticed my tough bearded areas under the jaw line were dealt better with the Gem blade IMO. The rest of the year DE & SE are equal in results and still enjoy DE & SE razors but about 64% of my 50+ razors are SE in ASR brand , Schick injectors & AC 50mm razors also a Oneblade core the rest are mostly DE razors. Is there any clear winners for shaving for myself and my answer would be by the amount of razors I own that SE seems to dominate .

HoosierTrooper and Enrico like this.
  13. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Was that really necessary?

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Snark no , expression of disbelief yes. Not about what somebody likes or not, but regarding the question of efficiency. I take it the OP is not so thin skinned to take the comment seriously, but sorry to offend.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Enrico likes this.
  15. jay_gatz

Not offended at all. It's shaving y'all. Different things work better for some than others. As I mentioned earlier, the GEM Jr did a fine job, and equaled all the Gillettes I have used. Surprisingly, the Clog Pruf Peerless was the most work, with the longest handle. I plan to give the Bullet Tip a go, since the handle length is close to the Clog Pruf, and then revisit the Shovelhead for comparison. At the end of the day, they are razors and they cut hair off of faces. 90% plus of the male population in the US use the easiest, fastest method to shave, and probably think guys like us are nuts. I turned a work colleague onto our method, and he is completely happy with a modern Muhle razor, no desire to try anything vintage. We're like on a different shaving level that most people. Also, I was not questioning the efficiency of the GEM's as much as the final result. After the GEM Jr, I didn't shave this morning, and the amount of stubble after 24 hours is about the same as my Gillette's, and by the end of the day yesterday, was at a similar level of growth. If anything, I question the "5 o'clock shadow" claims. Gillette, GEM, Schick all shave at the surface and do not rely on hysteresis for a "closer shave". That didn't;t come about till the Trac II Cartridge, and we all know that isn't that effective on a single pass either, and wreaks havoc for many if you do a multi pass shave. We're still having fun though, so that's all that really matters.

Zykris, IAmTheJody, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

In complete agreement :)

IAmTheJody, brit and Enrico like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just throwing in my opinion and observations ..... I've been mainly shaving DE for many years and peppered in Schick over the past couple; not that ones better or worse than the other ...... just enjoying variety. I'd say that the Gems for me is the same ...... a fun shave. I first tried a 1912 art deco Gem and found it not good at all, but I'm glad to find I enjoy the Gem Bullet (alot) and also the Gem 17 tooth Clog Pruf. Will they replace my other razors ..... not at all, I enjoy variety and it's a real treat for me to switch it up with razors, aftershaves and colognes.

:eatdrink013:

brit likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Same here, different razor every day and a couple hundred to choose from.

19. jay_gatz

Variety is the spice of life. Of course, when you have the variety most of us have, when is the last time you actually used something up? I have inst karate from at least 7 years ago for example. Pulling it out for the next shave. That's the good thing about soaps, the tend to last forever.

brit and Enrico like this.
  20. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Love variety, and agree. I don't get the closest shaves with my Gems, but I still love using them.
    I've always collected Gillette and definitely prefer them by far, with the exception of my Feather ASD2 which is essentially a tech lol.
    Speaking of variety though, today I took the Razorock Hawk v2 I received a the proud recipient of @IAmTheJody birthday raffle.
    It felt aggressive and efficient, and funny...as it's a wider SE blade, and you have to watch your ear and that first sideburn stroke!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

IAmTheJody likes this.