Moved to the country

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by J_Man, Jun 3, 2020.

1. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

My move is complete. Been in the process of moving into my new home...3 bedroom 2 bath ranch sitting on 6 acres in the country.

Loving the peace and quiet.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Congrats, looks great. Enjoy.

J_Man likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You are very blessed!

Always remember that, my friend.

:eatdrink047:

J_Man likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Beautiful, enjoy your life in the country!

J_Man likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very nice! It looks like a fine home.

J_Man likes this.
  6. J_Man

Oh, I am enjoying it.

7. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Congratulations beautiful home!

J_Man likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

How lovely. Enjoy your new home and new life.

J_Man likes this.
  9. J_Man

Thank you for all of the kind wishes. I am enjoying it immensely, but the brown bears lurking in the woods do tend to make me a little nervous.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

They're just big puppies.

:eatdrink013:

J_Man likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's great. Hope you have a great den, too.

J_Man and Enrico like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

He shares it with the brown bears. ;)

:eatdrink047:

J_Man and Jayaruh like this.
  13. J_Man

Not quite yet, but it's in the works

14. J_Man

I tried but they chased me out

Sara-s and Enrico like this.
  15. J_Man

Having a cup of coffee and enjoying a nice downpour. It's hard to tell from the pic, but it's really coming down. [​IMG]

Intrigued and Enrico like this.
  16. J_Man

After weekends of mowing and weed wacking around 2 acres of land, numerous 45 minute drives to the nearest Walmart, listening to the crow of neighboring roosters as the sun rises, watching black bears emerge from my 6 acres of woods--where I don't dare go, driving 5 miles an hour behind tractors, backhoes, and various types of farm equipment, taking my garbage to the local dump, and my biggest complaint ELECTRICITY THAT GOES OUT FOR DAYS ON END everytime we get a strong wind...I am really starting to regret my decision to move to the country.

My wife is a small town farm girl and she's right at home, but I am like a fish out of water.

I know some may feel that I am coming off like a real jack@$$ but the truth is I did this because it was what my wife wanted and at first it felt very serene...now it just feels like a perpetual machine of frustration.

Sorry for the rant.

Jim99 and Terry like this.
  17. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Oh.....if this isn't a case for 'Trading Places'.

I can't get wifey to move out of suburbia.....tried right as the kids were born almost 17 years ago. Now they are 11th and 12th graders. Maybe soon.....

As someone who drives A LOT. And loves electricity in the middle of nowhere (camping only for now though).

Awesome stereo system in the vehicle, and a music playlist that lets the miles (and driving frustrations) disappear.

House generator.

As for the bears....bear spray if you don't want to use the implements of your avatar (which is friggin' awesome).

edit....for the yard work....bluetooth 'total wireless' headphones.

I use Sony WF-1000XM3 for situations where I'm going to be sweaty. Sennheiser Momentum 3 wireless for everything else. Yes....I listen to music and/or audio books a good bit of time.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Terry likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

A generator will cure the electric issues if you really need power, just do somthing outside or turn over and go back to sleep. I have a small 1600 watt generator ( inverter type) that will run a few fans, the fridge, tv and internet.
    I have gas heat that doesn't require electricity in the winter. A wood burner is a great help too. Splitting wood is good exorcise, if done slowly.

The slow traffic will stop after summer more or less. Learn where and when to safely pass them, that will help.

Your in the country sunshine.:)

That means you have a pantry that will hold at least 2 weeks of food, then build it up slowly to about a month and a half of supplies.
    Canned meat like beef and chicken will help in a pinch, have some around. Learn to use them in meals before you need them. If you have a freezer, get a generator and extra gas to run it.

Get a burn barel and burn the paper goods. I would say compost the garbage but that's food to bears.
    You can make a bearproof can using a 55 gallon drum, the kind the lid comes off by a strap.

Bears! You might need to find your local wildlife officer, he should be able to help you with the bear issue.
    Might be a good time to check out if your area has a bear hunting season.
    Hunting is another manly chore.
    Join a hunting club in your area, this might be somthing you would enjoy.

To late to plant a garden, but it's a good time to plan next years crop.
    Have a spot tilled for next year.
    Your local extension office will help you decide what grows best on your climate area. That will also cut down on your mowing.
    Then... are you gonna can the extra vegetables or dehydrate your garden goodies or both???

Chickens, rabbits, or a goat or two will give you meat, eggs or keep the grass low.

Do you have a dog yet?

You need an outside cat to keep the mouse population at bay. Strays are good for that. Just never feed them to much that the get fat and don't hunt.

Do you have a place to have a fire at night? Ever cook on an open fire?
    The grandkids/nieces and nephews love that kinda thing.

Do you have a tool shed yet?

A 4wheeler is a nice thing too.
    Most counties don't care if you ride them on the road, in the country that is.

You need to meet the people around you.

And

RELAX! a little, calm down, life is meant to be enjoyed.
    Think just what you can do now you could never do in the city.
    People that enjoy living the country have a different mindset.

Welcome home!

Good luck!
    Enjoy!

tp

ghostlife, brit, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  19. J_Man

Well I too have an awesome stereo system in the car, and luckily a great playlist because we don't get very many fm stations around here.

I do have a generator, but the local gas station doesn't...makes refueling fun.

Since many of my neighbors have makeshift firing ranges on their property and use them all weekend....there's never an issue when I fire a few shots out the back door. We are spread pretty far apart and once the weekend comes you can hear shots being fired from almost every direction.

brit, Enrico, b1hart and 1 other person like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Give yourself time!

A few shots????
    Me and the wife go through at least 500 to 1000 round when we shoot.
    22lr is about the cheapest, but them by the tub. The larger calibers buy in bulk, say 1000 rounds or more is cost effective or learn to reload.
    Sounds like you need to friend those who have shooting range.
    I have a 100 yard one so.....

Get a couple 5 gallon gas cans for the generator.

Enjoy!

tp

brit, Enrico and b1hart like this.