Muhle R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, May 9, 2022.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Should I give the R41 a try? I could buy just a head and I have Edwin Jagger handles to try it on. It's one of the common modern razors I have not tried. I still have not found alot of new production razors that have knocked out any of the vintage stuff I have. Tried the Rex Ambassador, sent it back. Here is a list of all the stuff I currently have:

Razor
    Gillette New Premium Short Comb
    Gillette Cased Gold Aristocrat 1946
    Gillette Fat Handle Tech
    Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
    Gillette 195 "Fatboy"
    Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Merkur Chrome Slant
    Merkur Bakelite Reissue
    Gillette Super Adjustable 84
    Schick Adjustable M3
    Gillette Rocket HD British
    Phoenix Ascension Red Flare Tip
    Gillette Heritage Edition
    Schick G3
    Schick J1
    Lady Gillette Blue
    Lady Gillette Champagne, Cased
    Gillette 195 "Fatboy"
    Gillette New Standard, Cased
    Gillette Red and Black Deluxe Long Comb, Cased
    Gillette Super Adjustable 84
    Edwin Jagger DE89
    Eversharp Schick G4 66
    Merkur Gold Slant
    Schick I2 , Cased
    Shick G2, Cased
    GEM Pushbutton, Black and Gold
    Schick DE Krona, Cased
    Schick Dial Adjustable M3, NOS Closet
    Gillette President, Uncased in velvet bag, closet
    Gillette Richwood
    Gillette Flare Tip Superspeed Cased
    Gillette Milord, Cased
    Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip
    Gem 1924 Shovelhead
    Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf
    Gem Jr Gold
    Gem Jr Nickel Replate
    Gillette Fat Handle Tech in Box
    Gillettte British No. 58 Cased
    Gillette British Aristocrat #66, Cased
    Gillette No 88
    Star DE Original Box and Blades
    Gillette New Bostonian
    Gillette Old Type

Anything in there that says "don't bother"? Is it's aggressiveness over-played? Do I just have a desire to spend more money, knowing that no matter what I am not going to find a razor that makes me throw away all the others, and scream "eureka, this the holy grail!!!"

Ijustmissedthe50s, MR41 and brit like this.
  2. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I have a few of great, large selection of razors you have and can tell you the R41 probably won't make you throw away the others, but the R41 is a fun razor to use. If money is no object (and the R41 head is typically $25-30 for head only, so not too costly) then I say go for it since I still like using my 2013 R41 head occasionally for a nice two-pass plus touch-up shave. I find the shave not as mild (comfort) on the first pass but very mild on the second pass with very good efficiency. Great results even though the first pass isn't as smooth as some on your list. I still like using mine even though recently I like my Karve Brass CB plate D as my current favorite.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think you have enough DE razors. :) Skip the R41 and move into Artist Club razors. The RR Hawk V3 is stainless, reasonably priced, and will fit on your favorite handle. Grab a pack of Schick Proline blades to go with it.

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

R41 is one of those razors that once you got the hang of it, you are glad you did. The razor is stupid aggressive at first but once you get the sweet spot locked in you dont notice it a such and you get such a great shave. Heck, i tend to leave it at arms reach when ever a razor isnt working out for me.. the r41 comes in for the save. Lol funny thing is.. I’m on my 3rd one. The first 2 i got i hated them.. so i traded / sold them off. But i kept coming back..

StewB, Herm2502 and GatorJoe like this.
  5. jay_gatz

Are these the ones on the Italian Barber website? I think I would just go ahead and buy one with a handle. I do like the SE shaves, and was never able to get my hands on a Cobra, so maybe one of these is the trick. Are they essentially like a slightly wider Schick Injector?

6. brit

brit in a box

cool collection,you have a few gillette heritage editions a well.;).about the only razor that keeps tugging my buy button is the colonial silversmith..thankfully it's expensive and scarce so the urge goes away :).

7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

If money is not an obstacle, get the head and try it. I’ve used an R41 daily for a while now. You do have to learn to use it ( somewhat), but I think its worth it.

Herm2502 likes this.
  8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

For me the thing the R41 does better than anything else is steep angles. I get very comfortable shaves from it that are also very close and that's a good enough reason for me to have one and keep it around. It's not my daily driver but it could be and I'd be happy with it.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The 2011 R41 has been my daily driver for years and years. The 2013 is mild in comparison. If you are wanting to try an R41, find the 2011 issue. Otherwise, don't bother.

I have a backup 2011 just in case the original ever fails me, should I drop it, or otherwise damage it.

Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  10. jay_gatz

What about the Blackland Vector? Pricey, but what are the opinions out there?

jgreenepa likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

People seem to like them a bunch, but they are beyond what I would pay for a razor any more. I picked up my razor used on another boards BST for $50 shipped and it included a partially full cartridge of blades. I liked it enough that I picked up both the Aggressive and OC versions. The OC was too much for me and the A version hit the sweet spot for me. I used a number of SE razors, but this is my only foray into AC blade razors.

jgreenepa likes this.
  12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

The Vector is an amazingly efficient shaver! Definitely worth the investment. IMHO.

13. jay_gatz

Ended up pulling the trigger on a Hawk V3 and some Schick Proline Blades...

jgreenepa and PanChango like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I really enjoy mine and get great shaves from it. Good luck with the razor.

15. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Best of luck, Jay! Hope you enjoy the new razor!

16. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Here ya go. The Razorine Flatboy. An excellent, aggressive and forgiving razor. Also priced very well. Personally, I never could get the R41 to work for me and was aware of the aggressive nature of the Flatboy. I've had a few shaves with it so far and it's a great razor. If you ever decide to buy another DE...and you will.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Please report back once you get to spend some time with it.

18. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

I'd be in favor to give it a try, I like mine, its aggressive, but in my opinion, the people that say its so aggressive to the point that its scary, in my opinion that is overhyped. I mean she will bite so take care, but won't any razor bite if care isn't taken. I have recently found that if I let my hair grow enough to be able to shave with the direction of hair growth, it goes alot better. But as far as the r41 goes, it is just a matter of getting used to, and oh boy does it take the hair off;)

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  19. jay_gatz

I've had about three shaves with it now, and today went three passes, WTG, XTG, and finished with an ATG pass. End of the day and still very smooth. Using the Schick Proline blades. Very happy with it so far, get user the nose easily, as easy as a Schick Injector. Would have had more shaves in, but was dealing with a hot water slab leak this past week, so probably going to put a damper on purchases for a bit. As for the Hawk, it's a winner so far! Thanks for the suggestion PanChango!

PanChango likes this.
  20. jay_gatz

So now the question is, what other blades to try in it?

PanChango likes this.