Need help young WetShaver

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mike-R41, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

okay okay 26 year old here looking for a different kinda soap. A cologne based! Stirling Executive Man i here is molded after Creed Aventus... Never smelled it but from what I read it’s good for a date night or something of that sort . I’m new to this thing and I only have 2 soaps!!! Proraso Red was my first one and my 2nd is Stirling Barbershop. Thank you for your advice is greatly needed and appreciated
    -Mikey​

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have Sterling Barbershop. Awesome sent and great performance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mike-R41, Paul Turner and Frijolero like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Sample pucks at Stirling are about $3.
    Great way to take a test. They will last a nice amount of time too.

I like....
    Executive Man
    Mountain Man
    Island Man
    Deep Blue Sea
    Piacenza
    Sandpiper
    These are all dupes of popular scents. There are others too.

Other soap makers do well too.

One of my daughters is your age and had me buy Sandpiper for her to give him. There is one.

I've never heard a complaint on Piacenza.

Good luck

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you want "cologne based" soaps, you should give Barrister & Mann a try. Will specializes in making soaps based off of old classic men's fragrances. I like his 'Cologne Russe,' which is based off of Russian Leather.

With that being said, you can't go wrong with Sterling. They have an excellent reputation. Italian Barber is another good store to try. They have a wide range of scents.

Saponifico Verisino is another good soap. The scents are hit or miss for me, though. Some I really like and some are just 'meh.'

I used to be all about the scent of the soap, but nowadays I tend to focus on performance over scent, which is one of the reasons I keep Porazo Red in rotation...even though it leaves 5 times as much soap scum on my razors than any other soap. Thank goodness for scrubbing bubbles.

Mike-R41, mvd, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yup, I'd pick a mug, read about stirling scents, pick several, there you go, all jazzed up, without breaking the bank.
    I like dunshire.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Work back to the soap? Visit your local high end shopping mall. Bring your phone to take pictures and notes, & do instant research. Bookmark www.basenotes.net. When you find a couple colognes you'd like to wear go home and check all the usual soap makers for a dupe (duplicate). They may have both shave soap and aftershave in a similar scent. The AS will have less scent oils that cologne, for sure Eau de Toilette or Parfum. You can reapply AS later in the day for a boost or buy the longer lasting real thing products as your budget allows.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Stirling Green was a dupe of Polo, it is discontinued AFAIK.

Frijolero, RyX and brit like this.
  8. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

PAA Aqua D
    PAA Gondolier
    Razorock Emperor

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The shave soap scent does not really linger. It will not clash with aftershave or anything. I like nice scents but they have nothing to do with performance.

That said you can not go wrong with Stirling soaps. Both shave soaps and bath soaps. The bath soap scents do linger though so that might help you out.

Terry, Mike-R41, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  10. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot I ended up buying Executive man soap,splash, and balm lol
    Also got 2 packs of Israeli reds
    **Never tried thoes blades** but here great things

Hembree, RyX, Terry and 4 others like this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Ok, I feel the need to add a female perspective here, on smelling good for date night. I like to smell some cologne on a man, but in my dating years, I found that far too many men would drown themselves in it. Whatever you wear, use it sparingly.

12. Edison Carter

Hi Sara.

Still married to my High School Sweetheart. Almost 40 years. Sorry but I love Brut so much I can never think of "sparingly" and "Brut" in the same sentence. She hasn't given me the toss yet.

I will say I probably over did it one day with a dupe of Polo Blue. A fella at work told me that I smelled like a staff member of a French brothel.

I wasn't quick enough to inquire how he knew what these folks smell like.

;)

Paul Turner, ghostlife, brit and 5 others like this.
  13. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

The best place for cologne is on your collar and cuffs (and a dab behind each ear for the ladies...)

Strongly scented soap can linger on and intefere with your proper colognes.

However, in the interests of doing your question due service:

Tabac

/thread.

ghostlife, Hembree and Sara-s like this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

You will like the Excutive Man! Good stuff but not over powering.

brit likes this.
  15. Edison Carter

I have & use Executive Man.

For me, it is one of the scents that I believe I could easily over apply as @Sara-s referred to above.

Light is the key for me there.

brit, Hembree and Sara-s like this.