Putting New Lacquer On Gold Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Is it possible to put a new coating of lacquer on the head of a gold razor? If so, please explain how.

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Clear Acrylic nail polish and very carefully. Or take it your local body shop and have them spray it with clear coat. Or buy an air brush and do it yourself.

I have a restoration shop here and that is what they advised. Strip it first then reapply.

Nasty stuff they did not recommend it, just suggested it.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I just dont see that ending well.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the nail polish.

Is the lacquer coat on that was originally on these razors any different than what I can buy in a spray can? It wouldn't be that difficult to mask it it up and spray, but I just want to make sure I use the right product.

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

There is a lacquer made for brass that people say works well. I'd probably take it to a jeweler myself. The lacquer top coat can be removed very easily by boiling and scrubbing the hot razor with a toothbrush.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Unfortunately I dont think any knows exactly what they used for laquer. Probably theyre own mass produced formula. It is laquer, like you buy in a spray can. Its an extremely thin coat though and I get the feeling the stuff they used was extremely watered down and put on sparingly. The stuff comes off the razor without much use so its generally pretty delicate. A jewler may be able to fix it up for you but I wouldnt try it with any razor I really like. You own half the razors on ebay though so start experimenting.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Uh, is this safe to do with a gold razor?

:happy102

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yah, I've done it to a couple that had that strange rainbow effect going on in the lacquer. Just be careful and use a soft toothbrush and a toothpick to get into the knurling.

9. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I don't know if the lacquer that Gillette used was orange to begin with or just turns orange over time.
    Here's that brass lacquer, claims that it's formulated to bond with metal.
    I'd hope so as it cost over twice what a can of Deft runs.
    But I imagine you could refinish loads of razors with 1 can so it's probably a good deal.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3260

10. tom myers

tom myers Member

I know there are many different formulations of lacquer and I don't pretend to be any kind of an expert thereon, but it occurs to me that the nearest thing that comes to mind as a similar protective lacquer for metal is what is applied to brass musical instruments. If you have a horn overhauled or rebuilt, after making any needed repairs to valves etc. they re-lacquer it. I would suspect that this lacquer is similar to what was used on these gold razors. Does anyone work at a music store and have an "in" with whomever they use to refurbish instruments?

Regards,
    Tom