Rex Ambassador in Rhodium

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Dec 31, 2021.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So I picked up the Rex Ambassador in Rhodium. Great build quality, nice weight, really want to love this razor. Couple of things. First, after one shave, I noticed that there was some rust developing under the cap. Looks to likely be some transfer from a feather blade. I leave the blades in all my razors, twelve in rotation on the daily, and I have never seen this happen. Switched the blade to a Gillette Super Stainless vintage, same issue. I'm basing this on 9 years of wet shaving experience. The second issue I have with it is that it is really draggy. The cap seems. to stick to my face, no matter how slick the lather is. I had an Edwin Jagger DE89 that did the same thing. I am hoping other users of the brand can shed some light on this for me. Thanks for any input.

IMG_0892.jpg IMG_0893.jpg

Ron R, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  2. rawfox1

rawfox1 Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the drag. I can't believe more people don't feel this. The razor is built well and has great grip. I had 2 and sold them both because of the drag

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jay_gatz likes this.
  3. jay_gatz

And yet more rust…

3930870E-A0D8-41BD-BEF6-120261EFF40D.jpeg

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

The rust is very odd. I don't get that on my Rex. As to drag, it could be the angle of the razor, but it may just be the razor itself. I haven't noticed this with mine. Perhaps others will have some solutions for you.

5. jay_gatz

Is yours rhodium, or stainless?

6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Mine is stainless. I just assumed the razor was a coated stainless steel, but did not look it up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. jay_gatz

I’m wondering if these are a direct rhodium on stainless, or if there is nickel plating first. I seem to remember that there is nickel under gold or rhodium on vintage gillettes. Correct me if I am mistaken.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Rhodium is always plated over nickel or gold. The acid used to plate with rhodium can react with certain stainless steels, so a non-reactive surface is best for rhodium plating. I believe most rhodium plating is done over nickel. Not only is nickel harder and cheaper than gold, it endures wear much better.

The vintage Gillettes were rhodium plated over a heavy layer of bright polished nickel plating. Basically the standard English Gillette Aristocrat level of nickel plating and polish, which is noticeably better than regular Gillette razors.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  9. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

The early Aristocrats were directly rhodium plated over brass, learnt it the hard way.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  10. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

I have a rhodium rex envoy enroute to me.

11. jay_gatz

Hopefully it works out for you. As for me, I’m really enjoying the Rhodium Plated No58 set I exchanged the Rex for at Razor Emporium. Other than Merkur, Muhle, EJ, none of the modern “artisan” razors have worked out for me. I guess I’m just a vintage guy.

12. jmsodpc

looks like it should arrive today...i'm sure i'll like it...seems like something thats right up my alley...

13. jmsodpc

I used my rhodium envoy last night and it was nice. It's probably my favorite looking razor. I don't think it's my favorite to use but I did get a great blood free shave!

lightcs1776 likes this.
  14. jay_gatz

Glad it's working for you. I agree it's a really cool looking piece of hardware, just felt draggy on my face. I had an EJDE89 that was like that as well, bought a Muhle replacement head, problem solved. Weird how the same razor can work differently for different folks. YMMV is so true in this hobby. Hope you really enjoy your Rex!

15. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Sometimes rust on stainless steel can be because the tooling used is made of carbon tool steel and some bits of that are left embedded in the stainless. Since you can still see some tooling marks i think that's very possible. You can polish the rust off and eventually it should quit happening if that's what's going on.