Simpsons Commodore X2

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SharpSpine, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

So I received my first Simpsons brush for Christmas this year and it's exactly what I was looking for. After splurging on myself by getting the Vulfix 2234 I was really interested in something on the opposite end of the spectrum. Enter the Commodore X2. The Super hair on the Vulfix is extremely plush, soft, and luxurious and many term it floppy. The X2 in Best has very similar specs if not the same when it comes to knot and loft (approximately 22K/47L) but it behaves completely opposite to the Vulfix. The X2 has plenty of backbone while retaining very soft tips. I use both brushes to face lather and enjoy both. They just give different experiences and as long as one understands this, then they can easily co-exist in the same shave den!

Here are my PreBloom shots with comparisons to my Frank Finest like I did with the Vulfix:
    PreBloom 1.jpg PreBloom 2.jpg PreBloom 3.jpg PreBloom 4.jpg PreBloom vs Frank 1.jpg PreBloom vs Frank 2.jpg PreBloom Density.jpg

After 3 uses the bloom is really developing so I'll try to get some pictures of it soon. The Commodore is a great brush to enter into the Simpsons family with and I highly recommend it. Something tells me, though, that it will not remain my lone Simpson for very long.

2. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new brush. I have that one too, it has become my daily go-to brush. I also have the Wee Scot and am jones-ing for the Chubby 3. Probably a Polo 12 as well. ...And a Persian Jar. Oh, and the limited edition Rover looks good too....

SharpSpine likes this.
  3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice, Brian. That is the one that I have on my Xmas list. I can't wait!!!

SharpSpine likes this.
  4. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Now why did you have to go and post a picture of that?:) Now I want one. I am beginning to think you cannot have to many Simpsons and that's a scary thing. I just got my Duke 2 in best badger and it gets better every day. I know what you mean when you say small knot with lots of backbone.

Well done.

SharpSpine likes this.
  5. SharpSpine

Wait until you see the post-bloom pics!

6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Very nice Brian! I am looking forward to my first Simpsons in a few more sleeps!;)

SharpSpine likes this.
  7. SharpSpine

Do you know which one Luke?

8. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I asked my parents for the Colonel in best badger a while back. (They asked me if I wanted to have them order it while I was there...I said no and walked away grinning)

SharpSpine likes this.
  9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

hmmm i may get a simpsons brush im very tempted after this weeks posts:drool:, that is a fine looking brush.

SharpSpine likes this.
  10. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Ahh so the Commodore it is; you don't see enough of these!

There's a couple more Simpsons I want, but I'm becoming Omega's poster boy here, haha.

SharpSpine likes this.
  11. SharpSpine

I hear great things about the Colonel. I just wasn't a fan of the handle. I will look forward to seeing pictures & hearing your thoughts on it once you have it. Merry Christmas!

12. SharpSpine

These are the brushes you are looking for. *said with a wave of my hand while wearing a hooded bathrobe*

13. SharpSpine

Well Omega is the end of the Greek alphabet, so maybe they are the end-all, be-all brush for you?!

Sodapopjones likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! Enjoy - often!!

SharpSpine likes this.
  15. Sodapopjones

Brian now that you've had some time with it, how do you compare its density and overall usage to the Frank's Finest?

SharpSpine likes this.
  16. SharpSpine

Well isn't that a loaded question if I've ever heard one! I will be getting my post bloom pics of it soon (I can't believe how much this brush bloomed!) and will then give a more thorough comparison (to really compare I'm going to lather up with both one after the other so I can really feel the differences and analyze it better). For right now I'll say that while the X2 is a 2mm smaller knot it doesn't feel that much less dense than Frankie. The X2 definitely releases it's lather better than Frankie does and the tips are much softer while not sacrificing much backbone. I definitely get a more scrubby action from Frankie but the X2 isn't missing that scrub too much. In short I'm finding the X2 to have my favorite characteristics of Frankie and my Vulfix 2234 all in one brush.

17. SharpSpine

I saw what looked like some good light to me this morning so I took a few quick shots to share with you just how much this brush bloomed. Keep in mind that the advertised dimensions of the knot for both the X2 and Vulfix are identical. I don't have calipers to measure them myself but I'm still shocked at the difference in bloom. I'm wondering if that gives an idea to the density of the two brushes. Did the X2 bloom more because its knot is denser and tighter?

Enjoy...

X2 vs 2234.jpg X2 vs 2234 Density.jpg
    The X2 density from above looks less than the 2234 but look just how much larger of a diameter is there as well.

X2 vs Frank.jpg X2 vs Frank Density.jpg
    The X2 bloom looks like a mushroom cloud compared to Frankie. Frankie is quite dense though with a 2mm larger knot & little bloom.

tomnat likes this.
  18. SharpSpine

Well I just spent the last 1/2 hour playing with 3 splendid brushes & creating some sheeperific, fattylicious lather from Mitchell's Wool Fat.

I was asked recently by our resident brushologist & Omega poster boy Aaron how I compared my new Simpson's Commodore X2 to my Frank Shaving Finest. So I grabbed the 2 candidates along with their sister the Vulfix 2234 and went to work face lathering one after the other so I could really compare & contrast these 3 lathering implements.

Before we get to the blow-by-blow we must check the tale of the tape for our contenders.

Vulfix 2234: 22mm knot, 47mm loft, super badger
    Simpson's Commodore X2: 22mm knot, 47mm loft, best badger
    Frank Shaving #Richmond: 24mm knot, 52mm loft, fine badger

I purchased the Vulfix 2234 as I was wanting something much softer & with more splay or flex to the hair while face lathering compared to my Frankie. This brush definitely delivered & to the extreme. Super soft & very flexible. Considered floppy by many & I have to say it is, but that doesn't make it unusable. When running water from the faucet over it the hair falls back on itself exposing the breach without even the need to buy it a drink. This is not a modest brush. While the brush does feel luxurious on the face it will probably not satisfy most face-latherers as there is absolutely no massaging action or scritch to this brush at all. The slightest pressure will cause the hair to splay on your face which also makes this 22mm knot feel more like a 24mm. You definitely aren't relegated to only painting the lather on but you certainly won't get an exfoliating experience. For me this brush has the lowest density of the 3, great flow through, very flexible shafts with super soft tips. For those with very sensitive skin, recovering from razor/wind/sun burn, or whenever you just want to splurge & give your face a treat this is a great brush to have at the ready!

2234 Loaded.jpg 2234 Lather.jpg

The Frank Shaving Fine Badger was my first badger brush so I didn't know right away just how great a brush this is. Coming from a VDH boar any badger is a luxurious experience! Initially I wasn't to fond of Frankie because she didn't splay on my face like I thought she should. I didn't realize that the Fine badger grade is a thicker shaft & has much more backbone while retaining soft tips. So I was a bit confused when it felt so soft & stiff at the same time. Now that I understand & appreciate her for who she is I'm very pleased with her & enjoy each date we have. She is very conservative in that her breach is much harder to find than the Vulfix which can make her a bit of a lather hog if you don't load her up enough. I guess she just needs a lot to drink! You will get a very comfortable massaging action with a little bit of scritch from my Frankie as her tips are quite soft. The hair shafts are very stiff so they don't flex much at all which also leads to very little splay while face lathering. This makes it feel like there is less hair on your face than the other two even though this knot is the densest & is 2mm thicker.

Frank Loaded.jpg Frank Lather.jpg

Now onto the new lady in town, my Simpsons Commodore X2. Long story longer, this brush gives me my favorite characteristics of both brushes above all in one lovely package. She may not have the best curves, nor sport the newest 2-band fashion trend but she completes me... for now anyway! My lady X2 has splendidly soft tips with the right amount of flex. She doesnt reveal her breach at first sight but has excellent flow through. She's your dinner & a movie, take home to the parents kind of gal that can knock your socks off when it's just the two of you in the bathroom… shaving of course, get your head out of the gutter. A face lather from this beauty is like a day at the spa for your face. You know she's there really working your stubble & it just feels so rejuvenating. If you've had a bad day, then some quality time with my lady X2 will change that in a hurry. Need to be on top of your game for work or play today, then start it off with my lady X2 & it will just keep getting better. Is my lady X2 my last brush? Most definitely not! I'm committed to 1 woman but I shall have many different brushes with their own personalities & quirks that I will enjoy on a whim while getting the best shaves of my life.

X2 Loaded.jpg X2 Lather.jpg

19. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice write up Brian. I like what I hear regarding the x2. That is the one I hope to get for Christmas and it sounds like I made a good choice.

SharpSpine likes this.
  20. Sodapopjones

Very nice Brian, great write up indeed!

I started out liking floppy, then dense, then floppy then dense and back to liking floppy... The only dense brush I really care for now is the CH2 and that's because nothing makes a better lather out of MWF for me.

I'm glad the X2 is working out, and its good to see you answered your own question of Simpson vs Frank...

SharpSpine likes this.