Size really doesn't matter...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Primotenore, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have two small brushes that are great performers. Since I am 4 pass shaver I usually use them at night to wash my face. One is a Vulvix boar, it will lather any soap no matter how difficult. The nicest hair I have ever experienced in a brush is this Culmak 55. I bought it NOS, I did not realize that is was not a modern production brush. I tore open the package and started using it.

Here are some comparison picks, sandwiched between a Duke 3 and Polo 8.

ID - 1.jpg ID - 2.jpg

Jorvaljr, Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've had an Omega 40033 Mighty midget for the last four years and it's went around the world with me ... great little brush.

For the $7 I bought it for ... it's a great little value!

Omega Mighty Midget

Ht: 88 mm Loft: 48 mm Base: 40 mm Knot: 23 mm

Wee Scot

Ht: 69mm, Handle Ht: 31mm, Loft: 38mm, Knot: 15mm

So in other words the Omega is a beast next to the Simpson.

Now I've been temped by the Omega 599 Silver tip ... an absolutely gorgeous diminutive brush.

[​IMG]

Height: 75 mm, Loft: 45 mm, Knot: 18 mm

Still bigger than the Wee Scot, but real close and the Omega has a better knot with the silver tip. Both at ~$40.

The more I talk about it the more I want it. :eatdrink013:

3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’ve been very tempted to buy the Omega 599 as well. Have you used the Midget and the Wee Scot?

Primotenore likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This is my Omega 40033 Mighty Midget
    IMG_0150.JPG

I've never used a Wee Scot, but figuring their the same price for the Omega 599; I'd probably buy the Omega for the better silver tip knot.

Here's my not so pretty tiny acrylic Century with a 18mm Finest badger, I restored.

IMG_0785.JPG

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Size may not matter, but it sure is fun using a bigger tool ;)
    [​IMG]

Jorvaljr, Keithmax, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That does make alotta sense.

7. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Part of the Mighty’s charm is the price for such performance and a nice resin handle.

I don’t have the Wee, but do have a few other more affordable Simpsons in Best, and they seem like a better choice in that price neighborhood. It’s all subjective, and no wrong answers. But I own three Mightys (a backup and a future gift), and feel better about it than I would with the $40+ model 599. For $30 I’d buy a couple though!

Primotenore, Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  8. Latherin’ Luddite

BTW, my $40 choice was a Berkeley 46.

My sub-$40 was a Special S1, and for $15 more, a Commodore X2.

Primotenore likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm funny about brushes ... I'd buy someone a really nice brush, but for myself I restore. The most expensive new brush I bought for myself is the mighty midget. So the only way I'd get a really nice new brush is maybe a gift from my family and that's doubtful ... they don't take my hobby as seriously as I do. ;)

Primotenore and Keithmax like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Not sure I would say the Omega knot is going to be better. Silvertip is such a buzzword, and Omega knots have a reputation for being somewhat “limp” in the backbone dept. Not a knock on it, just that comparing grades of hair between brands is really an apples to oranges thing.

My personal take is that you should buy it and make sure.

Keithmax and Primotenore like this.
  11. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

OMG, that's a biggie!

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Which one?

13. Latherin’ Luddite

I can see myself becoming a restorer someday. I prefer buying used gear in person when possible, and the three antique stores in my small town are apparently owned by folks who don’t need to make a sale..........they’re closed constantly.

I’m keeping my eyes open however.

Keithmax, PickledNorthern and Enrico like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I about blew tea through my nose when I read this. I have traveled all over the country for work, and never seen an OPEN antique store.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No one likes a show off....oh wait yes we do. Nice brush.

16. Latherin’ Luddite

There’s one shop in my town that I’ve NEVER seen open once in the last 23 years I’ve lived here! Things could have turned into antiques during that time!

I did hit a small consignment shop last month and scored an Old Spice mug for $4 though. :cool:

The same store has some Avon AS bottles but I’m afraid to start down that rabbit hole.

Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    These are good face lathering brushes made from Cholula lids.
    [​IMG]

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

IMG_0195.JPG

This is a great little traveler ... 24mm synthetic knot and 72mm overall height.
    :happy093:

19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Personal preference really. I like bigger brushes 26mm and up.