Star Trek D: A Joke Thread

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Michael_W, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

In 2018 CBS inflicted its STD on an unwilling viewership, placing an overproduced, badly written and acted pile of schlock behind a paywall and using its media propaganda outlets to berate audiences for not appreciating the insult to our intelligence.

Well, it came out last year that video game creator Anas Abdin was working in 2014 on a game for Steam involving a giant blue tardigrade that was used to hop around the cosmos, with characters that bore suspicious resemblance to those used in CBS' show. It appears that the network blatantly plagiarized Abdin's gamenot the first time STD show-runner Alex Klutzman has been involved in accusations of plagiarism. So Abdin took CBS to court, and it's gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out.

So, it that vein, I thought I'd start a thread inviting jokes about Alex Klutzman, CBS, STD, Les Moonves (who was fired late last year following credible accusations of serial sexual assault), or pretty much anything else involving the Mary Sue-ing of Gene Roddenberry's classic sci-fi vision.

What can I say? I'm feeling the need to get saucy. Also, it's been yet another bad week and it's only Monday.

Attached Files:

2. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Um, the last TV show I ever watched was the first episode of the X-Files. Can you post some background? Everything you just posted doesn't make sense to me.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I will turn on the news occasionally but that's about it.
    And NASCAR sometimes in Feb/March (or NAPCAR as it often turns out to be on a Sunday afternoon)

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was a fan of the original TV show. Enjoyed The Next Generation series for the most part. Got bored with that one about the space station parked near a black hole. Didn't watch the one with the woman captain who got lost in space. Tried to like the one with the pet beagle.

Guess it's like what happened to Star Wars. Started off OK, but got lost among the social pressures of the Hollywood machine. As for stealing themes and plagiarizing? Too much remaking of the old standards with so much classic SciFi untouched.

I'd like to see some Larry Niven & his Know Universe. A couple movies to get it kicked off, then Ringworld - The TV Series?

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

So, this is not a thread joking about sexually transmitted diseases? :sexe:

gorgo2, Michael_W, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  6. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I liked the original.ST:Next Generation was pretty good other than the fact that everything can apparently be solved by modifications of the deflector dish.DS9 was alright ,it had it's moments and failed to capitalize on them.I rather liked Enterprise,a rather low key approach to the mythos.In fact they were better than most of the movies.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Don't forget Star Trek Animated from the early to mid 70's; they even had of some of Larry Niven's characters (Kzin) in some of the episodes. I read quite a bit of Larry Niven in my late teens.

gorgo2, Michael_W, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Michael_W, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yeah, this. Folks in other than US locations can access the program through Netflix. CBS chose to force US audience to purchase membership in their online club to see the show. If they like their show that much they can keep it. With some jiggery pokery I'm sure I could watch it but prefer not getting those electronic spankings from my ISP for using BT. I already pay enough for my bandwidth and don't want to pay again for a VPN.

Remember when you were happy to get 6 or 8 channels from an antenna?

Michael_W, Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

What show? Has the name of the show been mentioned yet? What paywall?

RyX likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Star Trek Discovery.
    Show info -> HERE.
    Paywall discussion -> HERE.

Michael_W likes this.
  12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I was flying from Ottawa to Los Angeles a couple of years ago and guess who was on the plane with me? Yep, William Shatner. I was hoping he'd call up the pilot and demand warp speed, but we were subsonic all the way. I will say, however, that we encountered trouble from neither Klingons nor Romulans the entire journey.

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You were covered anyway-he'd just dial 911.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

VPN is the only way I will watch Discovery. I'm on S1 E3 at the moment and haven't really gotten in to it yet. I will say that I'm disappointed that the CGI and in-universe tech is ahead of what was in Orig. Series when Discovery is supposed to take place 10 years before Original Series. CGI, I can forgive to a point, but not the tech.

There are free (or near free) VPN's that you can get (just don't get one based in China). The free ones are probably not really useful in terms of added security, but all you need is a non-US IP address. So, a free VPN might be something to look into.

Michael_W, brit and RyX like this.
  15. richgem

Update...

I've finished season 1. And, I'll say that as a complete stand alone, I can get into Discovery and like it. As an original universe prequel to the Original Series, sorry, but no. The tech is too advanced for 10 yrs before TOS.

And despite whatever bad blood exists between Michael and Spock, it seems like Spock having a sister still would have been mentioned at some point in the past. So, I'm not buying the whole "let's give Spock a sister" thing.

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I saw Spock live at my first college-he claimed he was Leonard Nimoy(chuk yuk yuk). He sure packed the auditorium.

brit, Michael_W, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I went back and read the opening post of this thread. There was a term I was unfamiliar with so a little research brought me enlightenment.

Mary Sue;
    The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.

She has an unusual and dramatic Back Story. The canon protagonists are all overwhelmed with admiration for her beauty, wit, courage and other virtues, and are quick to adopt her as one of their True Companions, even characters who are usually antisocial and untrusting; if any character doesn't love her, that character gets an extremely unsympathetic portrayal. She has some sort of especially close relationship to the author's favorite canon character — their love interest, illegitimate child, never-before-mentioned sister, etc.

By this definition, ST;D hit the proverbial Mary Sue right on the head.

I'm caught up with the series, but not jonesing for the next episode.

With the Pine/Quinto rebooted movie series being in an alternate universe I could suspend disbelief. So far Spock has been shown as a child with very little details about the interaction between him and Michael. If this series is meant to be in the Reboot Universe then everything's a wildcard.

Let's face it. This isn't your Fathers Star Trek. It's sabotage.

Michael_W likes this.
  18. richgem

Somewhere (possibly the wikipedia page) I read that Discovery takes place in the original universe/time line.

RyX likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Time to
    Reconcile Harder.jpg

wristwatchb likes this.
  20. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

It's worse than you think. It's a show made by people who despise Star Trek for the viewing benefit of people who don't like Star Trek.

RyX likes this.