Superior 70 arrives, finally

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, Oct 8, 2014.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A local Walgreens got in the Superior 70 they ordered for me last week. $2.99 per 11.8 oz bottle. Wife picked me up two, they now have 3 on the shelf. I'll be curious to see if it becomes a regular item for them. Either way, they told her they're happy to order anything from online with no extra charge to me (unlike Walgreens in Ohio, who gave me the RCA Victor Dog look whenever I asked).

I haven't smelled 70 for at least a year. It's pretty much as I recall but there's a sweet, almost faintly cinnamon note I don't recall noticing before. It's not bad at all...really nice, just not exactly as I remember. Dale, am I imagining it? Formula change?

GDCarrington and PanChango like this.
  2. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I like Superior 70. My Walgreens has it regularly for $2.05 but I'm still on the first bottle I picked up last year so I haven't noticed any changes.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My stock pile is a little dated, so I cant tell if it has changed at all. I still use it every day, but it is just a simple bay scent

I will have to pick up a new bottle tomorrow to see if it has changed.

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I saw this stuff for sale at the Puerto Rican grocery store about a month ago. I might have to pick some up since my people come from there.

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Love the stuff but I have to order it by mail.

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It took me a few days to get all the way across the street from work and get a bottle of Superior 70. Sorry for being pokey. The price has increased, the last time I bought it, I paid $2.19 a bottle, now it is $3.49 at the bodega. The bottle is still 350 ml(11.8 oz), but it is slightly shorter (.5" guesstimate) than the old bottle. It is also missing the ribs along the top for grip. I am fairly stuffed up tonight. At first I thought there was a slight change, but I don't know. I think it might just be the age of my current stock (I picked up a case of it a couple years ago.) I will have to re-examine them when I take my allergy meds in the morning. If there is a change, it is very slight. I still just get the bay scent. I don't get any cinnamon from it just the clovey bay scent and I would definitely pick that up as I do not like cinnamon much at all. I will post again when my sniffer is working better.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I hadn't seen a bottle in a few years so something struck me as different when the wife handed them to me. Couldn't put my finger on what it was but yeah, they're shorter. The right glass bottle would be keen for these...if there was a label to transfer, more so. Ah well. Great stuff in any bottle.

PanChango likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Yes, I normally decant it into a smaller glass bottle that fits in my drawer. I have a couple AV glass ones that I use. I used it this morning and in my opinion, it smells the same as it did in the past. It is definitely nice stuff and well worth the price.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks Dale. Whatever that cinnamon sweetness was I got a whiff of when I first cracked open the bottle is not there this morning...just the usual subtle bay/clovey scent. Very strange, but I don't think 70 would be hurt by just a tiny touch of cinnamon. Maybe I'll buy a bottle of e.o. and see.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good pickup on the Sup 70. I mix mine with two other bay rums Clubman and Masters and some lime oil to make my own variation.

Enjoy the Sup 70.

11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My Walgreens used to get it for me, but no more. I stocked up while in Puerto Rico last year. I also grabbed a sister brand called Milagroso. That one does have a slight clove note to it, but yet very similar to the 70. Both are great straight, or as a blending base with other BRs.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I just mixed some of the last of my Burt's Bees BR balm in with the S70. The fragrance is now the best of both and now reminds me a bit of the Oglalla (though without the burn).

13. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Photo of the Superior 70? So I can spot it in the wild? I'm a visual learner. ;)

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG]

15. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I need to talk to my local Walgreens manager to see if they can order this for me.