The mental wall broken

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by steamroller of funk, Oct 23, 2007.

1. steamroller of funk

steamroller of funk New Member

Well I did it yesterday. After a week of the pack of feathers i got i a sample pack mocking my fear, broke the mental wall of fear and shaved with it. Shaved up pretty good with two passes with an IP but couldnt quite seem to get my chin right. So i though "extreme circumstances need extreme measures" Actually worked out really well.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Good job overcoming your fears! :happy096

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Bravo. My fear is straight razors.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Good, now what blade is next :D

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very Nice :)

6. Will

Will Nevermind

Nothing to fear.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Say it, say it;

"Just shave, baby" [​IMG]

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Who loves ya!

Just shave baby!

9. steamroller of funk

steamroller of funk New Member

My next hurdle is straights but that is gonna take some work. I do like the non folding feathers. Gotta love anything japanese. With the exception of that whole 1937-1945 era.

10. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

When you ready for straights....let me know :)

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

We always fear the unknown and for me straights are the unknown. I may try them so that I can teach there use to my young son. Will have to ask for a teacher first. There are a few forum members in the Washington, DC area. Will post a request for a teacher when I am ready.

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Let me know, but you are buying the beer. ::

13. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

"Beer & Blade"?

I dunno about that. :eek:

14. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

I'm definetly going to try a Str8. When is the ultimate question. I have tons of DE razors and razor blades to use and I really enjoy shaving with them. But, the thought of using a Str8 is very intriguing to me. But, there are so many variables in using one, the razor of course, the stones, strops, the maintenance, and the learning curve. Will I be able to maintain it myself or will I have to send it to someone for sharpening every time...

I don't have that problem with a DE or SE razor...

BUT, I'm going to do it...

When????

Well, that is a good questions...

15. fritz

fritz New Member

Since you're so close, I suggest you wait until after you retire and get moved. Because you're going to need a lot of extra time...:D
    Well, it's probably not that bad, once you learn how...:confused:

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

You guys are just crazy, ya know? Holding a samurai sword to your throats - it's just WRONG! So wrong!!

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Here is what interests me about the straight:

1) Love the idea of going retro with the routine. Only way to go more retro is to get two clam shels and start plucking the hair out one by one. Could be done but would probably take all day to do.:happy001

2) Like the idea that once I get the hardware on hand there is nothing more I need to buy, unless one gets RAD.

3) Less waste, no blades thrown out no plastic.