Thinking about a more substantial grip brush! ??

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by S Barnhardt, Sep 1, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

While my Omega 48 isn't a bad brush with what I know to judge brushes by, I find myself thinking a brush with a more substantial handle might fit my hand better! I get the "feel" I'm holding the 48 with my fingertips more than is comfortable, at least to me. I "think" I'd like something I can grip with all, or mostly all, of my hand. I'm looking, but nothing beats the thoughts of folks who might have in mind just what I "think I want."

???

RyX and Hembree like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The Rubberset 400/3 is my "barbershop" style handle, which will fit into you entire hand. I still find myself using Mostly my fingertips. Holding the brush like a microphone limits the angles with which I can face lather.
    iu-2.jpeg

brit, RyX, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Form follows function. Professional Barbers used that profile or shape more often so it's become the stereotypical barber's brush shape. I like it to. Here are three Omega boar knots. Left; #10098, Center same knot harvested and installing in a R-400 replica, and Right a #20248.
    Omega knots.gif

Primotenore, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you are feeling crafty or adventurous and want to crack that O-48 handle to harvest the knot I know a guy that makes a 31mm handle that could hold your present knot. It's the white plastic one pictured next to a standard size Rubberset 400 replica.
    Chubberset.jpg

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  5. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I'll keep all this in mind. Thanks for the suggestions. Will probably end up buying something instead of putting my knot in another handle which would give me two to work with.

RyX and brit like this.
  6. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

While shopping for a new Shave Brush, don't be afraid to try other bristles. There are a lot available out there; Badger, Badger/Boar mix, Horse, Synthetic, etc. And Synthetic bristles have come a long way. Synthetic is hard to beat for the price, and are now softer, with more back bone.

For prefabricated cost vs quality I suggest looking at these four (in no particular order) options:
    -Maggards, they have a lot of affordable Brushes, and are well known for providing excellent quality knots.
    -Italian Barber, they are coming out with more and more great handle designs, they have their own (probably the cheapest) Rubberset 400 replica design.
    -Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA), they are upping the ante by recreating the great classic handles with really good Synthetic knots.
    -Lastly maybe look at stuff from Yaqi on Aliexpress, they are making a lot of these brushes that come to the market, and going directly to them saves you the middleman cost.

RyX and brit like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]

RyX, Primotenore and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

lovely brush Jim..

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  9. alesmv

alesmv Member

[​IMG]
    Rubarad-48 , os SUPREME , one mix Rubberset / O-48

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

RyX and brit like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Are you a new vendor?

RyX and brit like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've had conversation with Member Ales @alesmv. He is not selling products at the website linked in his signature. It is a review site displaying products he has purchased or made for his own use.

Primotenore and brit like this.