What kind of cream or soap do you use for head shave?

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by fimpster, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I used Head Slick and a HeadBlade the first couple of times I shaved my head. It was something I just started doing in July. The Head Slick product is easy to find (Walgreens or Rite Aid) and it was good stuff for shaving in the shower and lathering without a brush.

However, once I discovered safety razors, I started using the same cream or soap that I use for my face. Granted, I only shave a small part of my face (cheeks and neck line) so I'm rocking the bald + beard look.

I always use a brush. I find it exfoliates and softens the skin, and I notice that now that I shave my head, I get fewer blemishes. Unless you count when I get careless and nick myself.

Right now, my favorite soaps and creams for head shaving are:

- Haslinger Honig Rasierseife
    - Omega Crema da Barba (I just ran out, unfortunately)
    - Maggard Limes and Bergamot
    - Wilkinson Sword shave stick

And of course Arko and MWF.

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

I only have one DE head shave under my belt (or face shave for that matter) but I used the same for both. Proroaso cream a brush, Gillette Tech with a Shark. Ill check in more in the future.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Swiffer

Swiffer Active Member

I actually can't get my head with my DE. I have to use an electric to get an irritation and close shave. I guess whatever works right? I also find that I need a heavy menthol cream or soap for my head. Not sure why.

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I use whatever soaps and croaps I used for my face and brush also. I rotate a bunch of different cartridge razors and occasionally a DE. lately my go to has been the Personna Magnum 5
    IMG_20160214_130250.jpg

5. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

[​IMG]

I just started to use this shaving stick for my head. I cannot say enough good things about it. It has taken the drudgery out of creaming my head and getting things properly lubed up. For the first time I have no irritation after I shave my head. I thought that was just a fact of life for head shaving, but it seems that’s not so.

6. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

The same applies to me. I've tried many products over the years. I've been using a DE to shave my head for about five months now and I really like the results. Before that I used a Headblade but would always need a cartridge razor to shave behind my ears. now that I use a DE that's no longer a concern.

Paul D

gwsmallwood likes this.
  7. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

The 34c is my current daily razor for the same reasons you mentioned.

Paul D

8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I can use any kind of razor on my face and dome. I use the same soaps and creams for both areas, but Cremo is the best for headshaves.

awk-m4 likes this.
  9. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Lately I've been switching between Head Slick and Proraso White and I'm getting great results with both. I'm expecting a Captain's Choice soap sampler some time this week and I'm looking forward to trying that product line. After that I just might give Cremo a go!

Paul D

Trigger likes this.
  10. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Paul, You may be very surprised with Cremo's performance. I use it when I am in a hurry and don't want to dirty a brush by lathering my head. It really is a great product.

awk-m4 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Arko. Or anything I want. My head is easier to shave than my face.

9nein9 likes this.
  12. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

X2. Good stuff.

Trigger and awk-m4 like this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've changed my approach over the years. Now I just use whatever body wash or bar soap I have in the shower and use a 2 bladed Bic plastic razor about 3 times a week while I shower.

14. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

20210429_024558.jpg
    Works great! Its made in the USA as well.

15. roo_ster

roo_ster New Member

A. I use the same products on my head that I use on my face.

B. My usual setup: Merkur 34c, Astra Platinum blades, Proraso shaving cream in the tube.

C. I shave in the shower, no mirror. My sense of touch works better than my eyeballs.

PROCEDURE
    0. If my hair is too long for a DESR, I clip it with a Wahl Balding Clipper, no guard. In a hurry, that suffices.
    1. Wash whole head with bar soap.
    2. Shave face (using one of several procedures) with shiny new Astra blade.
    3. Use Proraso shave cream straight form the tube, no brush, to lather up my head. Primary hand uses DESR, off-hand stays creamy to re-apply cream as needed.
    4. One pass, against the grain (UP the side of my head).
    5. Touch-ups as need be.​

God luck.

Trigger likes this.