What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

A Fine Shave indeed :)
    Worcester Razor Co.
    Brush/Suds/Splash: Fine
    A second edge off the small Okudo… very enjoyable.
    C38FA358-925F-40D3-90F9-5AA7EA1D6020.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

jgreenepa, Steve56, b1hart and 3 others like this.
  2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Yikes - after reading the above I’d be worried about posing your blade with your brush like that lest it give it a haircut :shocked003:

Lund started as a maker of fine pens and quills and eventually moved into watchmaking, silversmithing and other fine goods in Sheffield. My own hunch is their razors were made by John & Wm Ragg but that is just based on some speculation I read somewhere along the way. :happy088:

jgreenepa and TestDepth like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I tried out my swoopy and much beloved John & William Ragg near edge with the Baume.be. A fine shave but it turns out that after testing a variety of razors with this fine shaving cream, the shave with this near wedge razor was the least improved. The Otto Busch tops the chart for the most improved so maybe the grind has something to do with it - or, more likely, tomorrow I’d get a different result :)

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip Badger
    Baume.be Shaving Cream
    John & William Ragg Napoleon 11/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

97892982-51E4-4ABE-801B-577B31F4049C.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I stuck it to the brush with plasticine. I had the same concern!

Karl G likes this.
  5. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff! I find it really good actually, I have managed to hone it properly. They are not so easy to hone due to the flexibility in the blade. Hard to say if they are better or worse than the hollow ground razors. But if you don’t have one… you have to have one in your collection!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

#29 on the Rifuto edge, still shaving beautifully. The soap was MdC original in a brain bowl that’s down to the rim of the bowl, and an Eagle 3 with a Shavemac Finest knot did the lathering. Myrsol Limon topped off a still perfect shave.

87AC966B-632D-48A1-B857-33B0AD8B2A7B.jpeg

DaltonGang, Zykris, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  7. TestDepth

Tony Milton symmetrical Kamisori
    Brush: Rudy Vey
    Soap: Oleo Soapworks for WCS
    A/S: WSP Gaelic Tweed

The only Kamisori I had were larger, modern artisan made blades, with the exception of a folding asymmetrical blade by Saito. But this tiny blade popped up from a artisan out of the UK, that with some research has a real passion for this style razor. Billed as Suminagashi steel, custom made in his forge in Cornwall, I made an offer.

And what a blast of a shave… wouldn’t want to use it everyday, but a very cool option for a laid back Saturday morning.
    5F0360BF-8398-49F4-A27A-B362105D9806.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

DaltonGang, Karl G, Zykris and 2 others like this.
  8. jgreenepa

I actually have two, Hans, a ajA Hellberg and a Dahlgren. I was going to ditch the Hellberg, but it was pointed out to me that I needed to take it back to the stones. I did and all is well! 098C6B1E-BD08-49F8-A6CB-3DE25A468141.jpeg

DaltonGang, Karl G, lottenhem and 2 others like this.
  9. jgreenepa

I saw those, Tom, and was considering one myself! Tom, would you know the difference between Masadera tamahagane and nagamasa tamahagane?

Steve56, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  10. TestDepth

Definitely a fun blade.
    I don’t have any depth of knowledge in that area myself… just a great appreciation of the craftsmanship.

jgreenepa, Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  11. lottenhem

Nice Jeff! Do you also think that they are a little bit more tricky to hone?

12. lottenhem

Sunday morning shave, CVH No.7 11/16”, always lovely shave with a CVH.
    Soap Bulldog (Swedish)
    Brush Gents Badger Silver Tip (Swedish)
    Everything Swedish accept the splash Floris Elite.
    [​IMG]

13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Are you still following a 35 canvas/65 leather routine? :signs002:

lottenhem, jgreenepa and Steve56 like this.
  14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

It seemed like a while since I’d picked up some Russian steel and this one called out to me. Today’s choice was very satisfying in every way :happy036:

Normally most Russian razors are very utilitarian in their design which makes this one stand out all the more. Even though it is branded, “Moscow,” my understanding is that the shipyard shown is actually in St. Petersburg. The seller’s offhand speculation was that there was a disgruntled shop foreman who wanted to pay homage to his hometown in support of their ongoing rivalry with Moscow:)

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Savile Row 3824
    Haslinger Aloe Vera Shave Soap
    1956 STIZ Moscow 11/16

AC39159E-60DD-46AA-ADC5-540930460FBF.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I would be of I were only doing the linen every 7-10 days like I was on the last edge test. I’m currently trying out 5-6 linen and 65 leather after every shave. IOW I’m doing about the same linen strokes, but a few every use instead of a lot once a week or so. I learned a lot on that last edge test with the Sub Cero as the edge got near the end of its life. I learned that which leather didn’t make so much difference, but the secondary did. Linen brought back a worn edge better than canvas and the Latvian linen was one of the better linens though the 3” Abbey linen is also good. If you were touching the edge up every 20-30 shaves as you normally would, the canvas would be fine I believe. I have a boar strop with a poly firehose type secondary that Tom (Sharptonn) over at SRP sold a few of that’s supposed be even more aggressive, so maybe when I get near the end if this edge that one will get a chance at bringing back an edge.

#30 on the Rifuto just to round of the count, I’ll likely bring out some other razors for a bit, variety is the spice of life you know! I’m doing a silver/black Oakland Raiders theme here with the unscented XPEC, Rifuto scales and Proraso Pro boar. Floris 89 finished up a great shave on a cold, wet, windy Sunday morning.

E3917308-B0A1-4E21-AA27-EF997E873526.jpeg

16. TestDepth

King William era Wade & Butcher (1830-37)
    Brush: Rubberset 400
    Suds: Oleo Soapworks for WCS
    Splash: Captain’s Choice North

About the wedgiest wedge :) I have, and at 6/8” it makes for a unique shave experience. The shape of the thumbnotch and the simplicity of the tang stamp makes it one of my favorite looking W&B’s.
    3657A07B-91EA-4DC7-B228-58F850E75800.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

17. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

C9975CEC-232F-4704-A335-3F505BF152D1.jpeg
    January 17th

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - CK 6 Shave Soap, Star Jelly ASB, Switchback P400 w/Omega EVO Synthetic
    Feather AC DX
    Schick Proline
    Arabiyat Oud Al Layl EdP

@jgreenepa Here's the wrapping of the Feather AC DX (scales removed, the wrap covers the pivot hole). Don't normally show this side of the razor....it's where I did the lace under of the ends of the leather cord.

18. jgreenepa

I don‘t know if I would call it tricky, Hans, but it definitely takes longer. I routinely tape my spines, and used to keep checking progress with a USB microscope. I’ve recently been using 25x jeweler’s spectacles which allow me to work a little more quickly. I stop when I’ve smoothed out all or most of the scratch marks in the bevel, which admittedly did take longer with my two Faux framebacks.

lottenhem and Karl G like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

How was the edge??

TestDepth, Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Heading to town, “Sunday Brunch” shave

This 5/8 Dubl Duck Special # 1 is one of the first custom restores I ever did for myself ..
    The scales are from an Antelope I took in Colorado in the early 90’s
    Longest shot I ever took on large game, laser checked at just over 1/2 mile at 882 yards
    Custom 308 I built using a Nosler 150gr Balistic Tip
    One shot, high shoulder hit within 2” of my PoA walked across the eastern CO prairie to find him DRT
    I kept those horns for years before using one to make this set

The edge is one of my originals done using a Norton 4/8 only..

The shave this morning was smooth and comfortable multi directional
    Soap is from JoAnna at the Shave Den Shop
    Bourbon Vanilla followed by her Splash in the matching scent

Brush is a 24mm SilkSmoke knot in a custom Elk Antler brush I made

Strop was a 3” Buffalo

[​IMG]

#ShaveOn

Trigger, lottenhem, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.