Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

The first full work week of shaves are in the books. I must say, I still love this razor. I liked the looks from the very first pictures but I was a little skeptical about the handle. I wasn't sure how it would feel in the hand. I can honestly say, that has become my favorite part of the razor. In my opinion, it has an absolutely perfect length (short), weight and "grippiness" that just seems perfect to me.

ShaneS, clint64, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  2. Morning Shave

Morning Shave Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell from photos but is the head thick similar to ti Futur?

3. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

The good news:

Well it looks like Ferdinand pulled his finger out (or whatever else, just as long as it wasn't the razor, but let's not go there), and the razor arrived today!!!!

The bad news:

It's at my old work place and I won't be able to collect it until next week

PLANofMAN and ShaneS like this.
  4. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Four shaves in with this razor. First off, I like it quite a bit. The heft is nice in the hand, longer handle is excellent. I really like the handle gripping. The long edges are just short of feeling "sharp" and provide a great grip. However, I am having some issues shaving the hollow on one side of my neck that contains a scar. Stretching the skin has helped, but I end up cutting myself there EVERY time :(

I'm letting things fully heal up for a few days and will be trying some other blades out as well. Great razor and great product, I'm just afraid it may be overly aggressive for MY face.

Darkbulb, ShaneS, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Try swinging the handle out a bit more. This thing is actually pretty mild when you get the angle right. Today I tipped it up until I was sure the blade wasn't even touching my face. Results...a super clean close shave with no blade feel on the face at all.

Edit: and minimal blade feel on the second pass.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    BeShaved, Number six and Robyflexx like this.
  6. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know the dimensions of the Futur, but the BB head is 8.5mm thick.

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  7. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I figured the angle was off. I usually don't have an issue finding the correct angle.... I'll give that a go tomorrow.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My Blackbird arrived today! Wish I hadn't shaved this morning! Maybe I'll give it a go at head shaving tonight!

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Very cool and welcome to da club!
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
    What did you get? Silver/Black, long/short?

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Troy M

Black with long handle.

11. Troy M

[​IMG]

Well, I hope I can lay claim to the first head shave with the Blackbird! Let me tell you guys something. This may be the perfect head shaving DE razor! It was incredible. I had my Weber standing by just in case the Bird was too aggressive.

I never had to pick up the Weber. Within 1 or 2 strokes, my ring finger found the knob on the handle and the proper angle just sort of happened. I shave my head from front to back and hold the razor upside down in my right hand. The bowl lathered Palmolive Lemon provided the right amount of slickness and the Blackbird just seemed to know what to do. 2 passes and I am CBS (cue ball smooth).

If the first shave is any indication, this razor could become my one and only!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    BeShaved, MattCB, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Beautiful colors in this photo @Troy M !

clint64, PLANofMAN and Troy M like this.
  13. Troy M

Thanks, I didn't do any color touch up. Just a crop and frame.

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

It required none your gear is just beautifully brite and your blackbird really pops and stands out. The placement was perfect too. :signs107:

Troy M and ShaneS like this.
  15. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    :D That is just awesome! That was the second BB head shave to my knowledge. Scott the Clean Shaver had one. So happy it worked out perfectly for you!

Darkbulb, Robyflexx and Troy M like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It didn't work out so well for Scott though. IIRC, he tore his head and face up a bit at first.

...he was using Feathers though.

Troy M likes this.
  17. Troy M

Sometime even a blind squirrel finds a nut! Iphone 5S,

18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I can't seem to come to an understanding with this razor. I"m going to put it back in the box and try and figure out what to do with it. I did experience a first with this razor, I purchased and learned how to use a styptic pencil. Never needed one in 2+ years of wet shaving. Even the dreaded R41 was kinder to me. weird but true. Enjoy your shaves gentlemen, I'm out. :angry032:

JR Reyes and MattCB like this.
  19. Troy M

I watched his video and yes, there was quite a bit of blood. Mine had no blood at all.

clint64 likes this.
  20. Troy M

I have no doubt you can completely recover your costs. Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.