Cartridge razor appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I know cartridge razors doesn't get as much love here as other shaving instruments but here's a thread to post some cartridge-related stuff - new acquisitions, uses, etc :)

I used, for the first time ever, my Wilkinson T70 (Hi @Billyfergie !).

It was surprisingly easy to load - you just press the head of the razor against the opening in the cartridge box and - snap - it's loaded.

Picking it up to shave with it it was very, very light weight...to the point it felt like shaving with a toy.
    I went through the first pass and even though there was almost no weight to the razor it did an excellent job removing my two days of stubble.
    I went in for a second pass and the same feeling - lightweight, mild but efficient.

After my two passes I was about 85% clean shaven and since I was tired/lazy I called it quits there and splashes some Arko aftershave on.

Not bad at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Jim99, PatrickA51, Dzia Dzia and 3 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Aye, I know what you mean by it feels like shaving with a Toy....The PAL Injectomatics are like that...I am sure that they made them for JOE 90.....Hey.... What ever happened to JOE 90 and his big machine that turned him into a Secret Agent ?
    Some of these plastic type SEs from that era look like they could have came free in a cornflakes packet.....:chores016:

Billy

PatrickA51 and Karl G like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Joe 90 is a very clean-shaven lad.
    [​IMG]

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Ah....There he is ....Aye his glasses never did fit him right...I remember being infatuated with Captain Scarlet ....I thought that he was real and I jumped out the top window wearing my Captain Scarlet Suit with a Bed Sheet as a Parachute....I landed safely but my dad wasn't impressed as I had been up to all sorts of death defying feats cause me thought I was indestructible an all that .....My Auld Man & Mom sat me down for a serious talk and they showed me a picture of Captain Scarlet the puppet sitting on an adults' knee with his strings an all....;)

That was the first time I ever had my bubble burst...:rofl:
    Then the Duke came along with his six guns and I was off again....:chores016:

Billy

5. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I can go with goo, instead of brush and shave stick. I can skip aftershave. I have a variety single and double edge razors and blades I can live with.

But I will NEVER use another cart or disposable. In the past when had more than a two day growth they retain my beard around the blades, and a one day growth was always a fight.

Double Edge shaving is wonderful.

Jim99 and PatrickA51 like this.
  6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I used some for the first 2 weeks of my new job. Started with store brand el cheapo 2 blade razors 12 for $3 then moved up to the store brand 3 blade ones at 3 for $5. I used one of those before my fatboy came in the mail.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I shaved today with a Gold plated 1979 Wilkinson Sword Royale with NOS Wilkinson Sword Profile twin blade cartridge. It was just as good as a Feather in My Schick Krona, and takes half the time. Job done!

PatrickA51, gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Another very good shave with the Wilkinson T70

[​IMG]

Hodge, PatrickA51 and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Even though I prefer the Trac II, my dad sent me a nice aluminum Atra handle. At the moment all I have are T-II carts, which won't work (no holes). I'll have to swing by Dollar General to pick up some compatibles.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Except for the recent black box Walmart Wilkies (which were okay), I've always gotten consistently superb shaves from every old stock Wilkinson product I've ever used -- particularly the Bonded carts.

PatrickA51 and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Trac II Clone: pit duty.
    DSCF9231.jpg

PatrickA51, Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I love that you paired it with some goo :)

PatrickA51, Billyfergie and Dzia Dzia like this.
  13. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Knowing some what of his ingenuity he probably found a way to fill it with Arko.:happy102:

PatrickA51, Jayaruh and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Dzia Dzia

IMG_20150811_082503.jpg Monday I'm having my right knee replaced. I won't be shaving for the first couple days. I won't be able to stand more than 5 min. It takes me that long to prep my face and begin a lather.

This is what I'll be using. When it's done it goes to my wife. She won't use the Lady Gillette

15. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have been thinking of TRYING a cartridge and see it I can get a good shave with it =P I have some 2 bladed no name cartridges that I shave my arm pits with. I get them 10x for about 1$ haha! I found out I have a friend that shaves his face with it them :eek::eek:

But now in curious to see how they would perform on my face hahaha:angry032:

45auto, PatrickA51, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

hope u have a fast recovery!

PatrickA51, Dzia Dzia and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Dzia Dzia

Thanks. Hope to get back quick. Know what to expect this time.

PatrickA51 and Darkbulb like this.
  18. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

Shaved both my head and my face today with Gillette Fusion Proglide with the flexball. Head shave is always superb with the GFPG. I got a DFS 3 pass with this cartridge today. Around the chin area is great and always find a get a better shave in that area with a cartridge than DE or SE. The rest of the shave is great although just about 5 minutes ago I began to feel some slight tingling/tightness/dryness which I don't usually have with a DE or SE. Used Tabac soap and finished with Thayers' Lavender WH no alcohol and then followed up a few minutes later with aqua velva. In reality I always get at least DFS from cartridges. But I actually think the Fusion Proglide is the best cartridge that has ever been put out, they are just so darned expensive. I also don't think the cartridge shaves "lasts" as long as a DE or SE shave.

PatrickA51, Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I use my wife's Trac II disposable in the shower to keep my nape shipshape. :bath:

20. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I used the Gillette Guard a few weeks ago and it yielded a comparable shave to a DE more than any cartridge I've ever used and was irritation-free. I was too tired for a DE shave and wanted to shave.

PatrickA51 and Billyfergie like this.