Good Barbershop scent aftershaves

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Darrin, Oct 4, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    No. OS Fresh Lime is pretty much OS with Lime. The vintage stuff is markedly different, but that could be due to aging.

Edit: The vintage is not as "bright" smelling. The lime is much more muted, and the overall scent is more "musky," kind of like an old Avon scent, if that makes any sense.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Billyfergie and gorgo2 like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I may go for the Special Reserve sometime...we have looooong winters here. Clubman regular worx for me for now.

3. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

My scent for today has to be the penultimate barbers shop scent....

Floid Mentolado Vigoroso
    [​IMG]

Feel like I am hangin with my pal Ernest Hemmingway, sipping a fine port wine when I splash this on. The cooling menthol followed by the scent of "coolness"! The kinda scent that makes women want you, and men want to be you!

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

The fine Am blend is an outstanding scent. Very Barber shop scent

DentonMajik and Paul Turner like this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

All the Booster aftershaves are Canadian barbershop classics and I find some bay rums, like Krampert's to be very barbershoppy. So are Mennen Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva Ice Blue - at least to me.

6. Paul Turner

Stephan Bay Rum-"a true barbershop classic"(their words, but it's nice to try something that originated at the end of the 19th century).

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

A few that come to mind:

Fine American Blend
    Maggards London Barbershop (not sure on the longevity, but the soap has a nice barbershop scent)
    Clubman (a classic that can be found in most barbershops)

Also, bay rum could be considered a barbershop scent, so that may be something to look into.

Paul Turner likes this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Check out the Lustray line of aftershaves, along with the Stephen's, Lucky Tiger, Jerris, and a few others. I got mine from a barber shop supply place, and they were 5-7 dollars each for 15 oz bottles. They were made to be cheap so barbers could slap them on clients and send them out the door. They don't last a huge amount of time, but this is actually a plus in cube farm/ office. I have Lustray Blue Spice, Lustray Draggon Noir, Stephen's Island Lime (Discontinued), and Lucky Tiger Aspen.

9. Paul Turner

Skin Bracer and AV are that to me, too. I'm trying to get over my gripe of AV beginning as a mouthwash. The fact that that silliness lasted only 8 years and the rest is history helps a little.

DentonMajik likes this.
  10. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

When my barber died back in 2002, I had to find a new person to cut my hair. I ended up going to a Korean lady, who did a great job untill she retired last year. When I found a new barber to replace her it was like going back to the barbershops I went to as a kid. This new guy does things old school, with the hot towel and using a shavette to do the edging work. Best of all is the smell in his barbershop, it smells just like I remember as a kid. I noticed he had a container of Clubman Talc on his counter, so I assumed he was using a Clubman aftershave as well. Last night I was in my local CVS pharmacy and found they carry the Clubman Talc and Clubman Pinaud aftershave, so I purchased the Pinaud aftershave and BINGO! That is the same smell from the barbershop. Also the smell I associated with barbershops as a kid. I'm glad to have found it locally and for under $7. it's not hard on the wallet. Just don't know if the wife likes it or not. She never comments on any of my aftershaves or colognes. Maybe that's a good thing.

11. Paul Turner

thanks for the recommendation of Maggard's London Barbershop. may go for that at some point, but one word in the description bothered me-"sweet".

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1
    Here's a bit of reading from folks who have Opinions.

13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Do yourself a favor and get that Clubman aftershave out of the plastic and into a glass bottle, and let it sit a while. Really improves the scent.

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  14. Paul Turner

These were interesting, thanks.

RyX likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

I had Stephan's Bay Rum....may get it again sometime.

16. SHAVEWIZARD420

London Barbershop is a nice scent, and it is a bit on the sweet side which may just be a characteristic of barbershop scents. Fine American Blend is another very nice aftershave with great longevity. You may want to check out samples to see if you like the scent.

17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The purest barbershop scent to me is Pinaud Clubman, but stirling offers a barbershop scent as well as a "clubman" scent, and mama bear offers "ye olde barbershoppe," which is fantastic

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. Paul Turner

ok thanks

19. SHAVEWIZARD420

No problem Paul!

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll find a glass bottle and do that. Think I'll pick up a bottle for my dad and some of the talc powder too.