How do you know when its time to get rid of your DE?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tazorac, Jan 8, 2020.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

What signs let you know that its time to dispose of your DE . Too dirty? Won't hold the razor blades in tight? What

Terry and brit like this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

If one of my razors had trouble holding the blade I might send it off to be repaired, if it broke completely I would get rid of it. As far being dirty that would never happen as long as I have running water in my house.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Ron R, 178-bplatoon, Lancre and 3 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

if it was a rarer model or heirloom razor it could be rebuilt with donor parts if something was bent or broken..

stuartganis and cliffb599 like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I usually wait until I acquire three or maybe four of the same razor before I give one away. I seem to think I need multiple spares in case of the shaveapocalypse.

If it's broken and not repairable then maybe, but for now those are just in a box on a shelf.

5. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

I also suffer from the urge to have multiple razors of the same model. There must be an underlying psychological fear I'll lose it then when I attempt to reorder, discover it's been discontinued.

6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I picked up another short handle Black Beauty today even though I’ve got at least two and I’ve given two away in the last couple of years.
    Ten bucks was too cheap to not take it.
    Great shape and only needing a good bath.

twhite, Terry, beemers and 4 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If broken and too much trouble to repair.

Dirt not an issue, most will go through a dishwasher just fine.

178-bplatoon, John Beeman and brit like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

When your to old to use it any more, then give it to someone else to enjoy.
    tp

9. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I don’t know, I just don’t see that ever happening.

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If it just isn’t giving you the shaves you want, then it’s time to part with it. I’ve had a few that didn’t agree with my face, so I sold some of them off and gave away the rest.

11. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

This was the answer, I was looking for and just needed a 2nd opinion. I've been DE shaving for about 6 years now...my very first DE, no matter what razor I put in, I get cut. I take the same razor blade out and put it in another DE and its ok.

I don't understand why, but thats just how it is.

12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

When the plating starts flaking off and the razor can cut you even though it doesn't have a blade in it ...

It's happened to me twice .

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When someone offers you more money than you paid for it.

dangermouse, Tux61, twhite and 7 others like this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'd honestly get rid of the DE, if it doesn't like your face it just doesn't like it. Pass it on to someone else or sell it, it may work fantastically for them. :happy088:

Jim99 and brit like this.
  15. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

Winner! :happy102:

Tux61, Jim99, Terry and 3 others like this.
  16. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

When I get bored with it, other than that I have never had a razor wear out or break on me. Be it a 40yo TTO, or even a more modern 3 piece made from zamak [pot metal] none have ever failed.

Maybe I have just been lucky.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

17. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

well my oldest razor is from the 1930s and shows no sign of letting up so I'll go with... never, unless it breaks and would cost more to fix than buying another

Terry and brit like this.
  18. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Is yours one of the modern razors made from pot metal. If so, perhaps it is broken. Before discovering that vintage razors were readily available, I had a DE from Sallys. It eventually broke and I pot it into the metal recycling bin.

brit and Terry like this.
  19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Broken razors go in the back of the draw, razors you don't like or use go in front of the same draw, all others stay in rotation or pick any razor morning.
    It was so much less confusing when I only had 1 razor.

brit and John Beeman like this.
  20. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

It's funny you mention Sallys because thats where I got my first DE razor. I guess I'll just trash it.