July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful picture and setup Mark.

Norcalnewb, clint64 and SharptoothC like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you very much. I can't help it I live in the woods. :) I'll do some indoor shots this month.

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I love how you do the calendar post of your monthly shaves Clint. :happy096:

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Living in the woods is a good thing. I'm in an urban environment where taking outside photos of my shave gear would attract unwanted attention. The neighbors might think I'm ... insane? Many of my shaves happen late in the evening & after dark. The drive by shooting continues on after my bedtime. I wouldn't want my camera to be mistaken as muzzle flash.

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy102:, we don't have drive by shootings. We do have a bit of a bear and wolf problem after dark. :) That is probably why we don't have a drive by shooting problem.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I practice something I call Subtle Psychological Manipulation. Used it on my children as they were growing up, with customers to this day. It's kind of like winning an argument by letting the other person agree with you.
    Your Shave Report is a stunning example! While the razor is very handsome in it's Gothic black finish and swirling fat handle, it's named for a cute, comfy, infant posterior texture we all chase in our shaves. Then you go and drop the challenge about how it's improving your technique with other razors. Enabler. Tsk tsk. Now I have to go google and look up more details.
    Good job Andrew!

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I'll take that as a compliment, Rick. Thank you!

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy097::happy097: That would cut down on a lot of problems after dark.

FaceScraper, RyX, SharptoothC and 3 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Doug! I hope your day is going well.

11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Monday evening July 31

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    Jason's non - 30DC Cypress Badger brush
    Dirty Deeds Arroyo Cactus soap
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Original Rose Petal

My last shave was Saturday night. The Rockwell 6s and Topaz Platinum blade mowed down the 40 hour stubble with ease. Two passes to a near BBS as is now usual with this gear.

I have been concentrating for the last half of this month on following tips from Chris and Clint -- Chris to skin stretch upward on my cheeks to get my jawline skin up taut against my jawbone, and Clint to shave that area with my mouth wide open to tauten the skin even more. I found these tips very helpful and have incorporated these practices now into my normal shave routine. The result has been that I have been getting my trouble spots on the regular passes without needing a lot of extra buffing.

Other than that, I decided to focus on learning to lather Mitchell's Wool Fat in July, but found I had no trouble at all getting it to work for me. So it wasn't much of a focus.

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Time to straighten up!

July 31

Razor - Nope
    Blade - Still Nope
    Soap - You hear me say nope, right?
    Brush - Seriously, Nope.
    Post - Is there a part of Nope you don't understand?

Well, after a good month working almost exclusively straights in some form I decided to end the month by taking the 31st off. My day off is tomorrow so I'll be ready to start the new month with two days growth.

What did I learn this month? Well, I'm happy with my technique overall, especially with the pain sticks. I feel like I could easily switch to using them exclusively and have no issues at all. Traditional straights? Not bad there either, though the whole stropping thing still eludes me a bit. Not that I can't do it......I just don't LIKE doing it, no matter how much I try to Zen it. I'll keep at it though. The shavette? I think I'm fine with that. The nicks last night were just over confident and careless handling of an instrument I didn't give enough respect. Pride goeth before blood on the steel. The only thing I didn't accomplish that was on my list was a head shave with a traditional straight. I'll keep that on my "to do" list.

Thanks for another fantastic month on here guys and gals! I wasn't always as attentive as I sometimes am with some work issues and things, but I'm looking forward to being more firmly in the saddle in August. I appreciate everyone who participates in this thread and can't imagine how boring life would be without this place! Here's to a fantastic August!! As for July...............

mrchick, RyX, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.