New Discussion Thread for Dorco DE Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fortran, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Fortran

Fortran New Member

I just ordered 100 of those at westcoastshaving and they seemed pretty in-expensive. I am not sure I ordered the same ones you have reviewed here though. Those I remember looked blue and traded for $8.00 per 100 pcs. I will get back with you about them once I have received and tried them.

2. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

I just bought 100 of these off the bay, and after my first 2 shaves, i REALLY like them. Too soon for a review, but so far I am VERY impressed. I'm using them in a 1920's Gillette Tuckaway.

3. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I live in Korea and have not been able to find the 301's. I picked up a pack of the single edge blades last night. I got a single edge Gem when I went home in the summer.

4. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

From what I've read here, the 301's are not the same blade as the 300's:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29005

Joe, I'm curious about how the Dorco single edge blades turn out. (And please contact me about whether you got my message and whether the package of razors ever showed up.)

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i have a whole bunch of these blades. i hate them. i dont use them (hint, hint). i forget which kind it is; its not the white and red pack though.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I'm betting you've ordered 100 of the st 300s. I reviewed the st301s. I've tried both and there is a difference. Not huge- but a difference nonetheless.

I ended up buying 100 derbys. That should help you figure out where I'm coming from.

7. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I really don't mind the dorco blades. I buy them at any little stationary store. they are cheap and they cut. I wouldn't try using them for more than two or three passes though. Not days...passes!

8. Redorchestra,

Which ones do you buy? The blue ones or the red ones?

Thanks for the input!

Dark

9. Fortran

Fortran New Member

I do not know about Derby's, but I think those are made in Turkey. And to be honest, I would not want to use any personal care product that originates in any third world country. Not saying that the Russian Nacet's or Turkish Derby's or Pakistani Treets or Egyptian Lord's etc. are not sharp or anything like that.
    I am just pointing out the fact that industries in 3rd world countries are very loosely regulated if at all. That means no one really knows (or cares) what kind of processes are being used in the production lines, in as long as the final price is rather cheap. Heavy metals, lead or mercury cross contamination comes to mind when talking about steel production --> razor blades. As such I would rather stick to American PERSONNAs for example, and sacrifice a little bit on sharpness, rather than using a product that my endanger me or my family in the long run. Of course Japanese FEATHERs, Korean DROCO's, Sweedish GILLETTE's, Greek BIC's are also very viable alternatives, when readily available.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm gonna die anyway. Might as well enjoy a smooth shave while I'm around.

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Your loss.

12. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Korea is not a third world country, but it was only 40 or so years ago that they were the POOREST country in the world. A lot has changed, but I bet alot is overlooked in the name of progress.
    Other countries safety record is also a question. A Canadian outbreak of Listerosis just killed how many? So I wouldn't worry about the chances of shaving with a mercury blade if you buy from overseas.

It sure would be hard to shave with a mercury blade though. With it seeping out the sides and rolling into the sink and all! :D

And in response to Iamdarkangel2005: I don't know, I'll check it later, but I do know it is a 300, not a 301.
    I am hoping the 301 will show in the stationary store soon. I also keep hoping that some Feather blades will find their way into my local stationary store. Japanese product hardly ever find their way across The East Sea though.

13. Redorchestra,

I am 100% sure that the ST301 will not show up in a store any time soon. Since this are new blades on the market... Wish you the best on that!

Dark :)

14. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

The blades I buy are in a black and white cardboard box with a red band across one corner.

15. Joseph,

You should take a picture of the items as I dont recognize this blades. There are already imitations of DORCO and they are originating from China. Perhaps that is why you have a bad idea about the ST300 and the ST301. Check the store to see a picture of how they look.

It would be nice if you do have a pic so we can compare ;).

Thank you for your input!

Dark

16. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Here is the box of DORCO blades I buy IN KOREA.

[​IMG]

Here is the box of single edge blades I will try out sometime this year.

[​IMG]

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

+1 I couldn't even make it through a sample pack of them.

You would think they would imitate a better blade. :happy102

18. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

After going through 2 Dorco ST-301's (3 shaves on the 1st, 4 on the second) I switched back to a Crystal this morning.

So far, I like the Dorco a bit better, it is a bit smoother (on my face in my razor) than the Crystal, but i only get 3 shaves then out!

19. Redoschestra,

I have already put some info about the ST300 having a different color. Those blades are actually very old, perhaps 1 to 2 years. Since right now Dorco Korea is making them in blue package.

The Single Edge Blade I have sold also, but there is very little interst on this item. This item is called DN52. As far as I know this are original from the pictures you posted, though I think you will only see them in Korea. The American export items say Dorco Industries instead of the Korean Letters (Dan Myon Do) This is actually a very hard word to explain, but it does mean single edge blade some how. Please see attachment to see what i mean. ( i just added my info in there, but is actually not there)

Guys! Is there interst in this item?

I hope this helps with some info.

Pokerstar, I am happy you tried out the Dorco ;). I hope you keep using them. Good Luck with them ;).

Dark

Attached Files:

20. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I really wish Dorco would step their game up. I bought 3 DE razors from Dorco and sent them to 3 members here. They have the worst review of any razor on this site, positively unusable by my own test. The blades are usable but not anywhere near great.
    I want to go pay a visit with a few razor to show them.