Schicktember shave of the day

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Sep 1, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

mine has a tab in a slot in the center 0f the spring,not a bump on each side or one bump on the right like the movable spring ones....the canadian ons i have seen have this type.my razor doesn't have any pat numbers as well,just the word patent and 1937 ,made in canada on the left side of the spring.. 20190910_060922.jpg

Hembree, Ron R and BBS like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thought I'd have a little fun with Stick Schick L type with a Twin II blade and see what it could do on shave #22. It did not disappoint at all and gave a close fun shave after a failed trial gap adjustment on my auto strop c1 razor in the morning, so auto strop razor was abandoned for my trusty stick Schick.
    Razor: Stick Schick L type MFG 1973
    Blade : Schick Twin II (22)
    Soap: Razorock XXX
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft
    Preshave: Shower + Aloe Vera Gel
    Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
    Post shave: Razorock XXX AS+ Nivea balm
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + alum block indicated more than usual irritation from Auto strop razor gap adjustment trial= :rolleyes:
    SEptemper 10-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hembree, BBS and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They were probably selling both variations side by side then since I've seen the older fixed spring style sold in 1940. Most likely they sold them in separate special sets most to move remaining inventory.

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..will keep researching..:)

Hembree likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Schick E2, Schick Proline B-20, shave 6.
    e2.jpg

Movable spring version lot a bark aka blade feel but little bite maybe due to the angle I used. End result shave was average. I've had better results before with this razor so it is either the angle or blade is done. Tomorrow I will know for sure.

Hembree, Ron R and brit like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SEptemper is a interesting Thread, chance to take out my larger collection of razors now and give them a whirl, Seen a Weck razor today and that's a rarity and I guess a excellent razors from some of the experienced hands also have mentioned.
    This Schick G injector is a rarity, it has a G1 handle with a G spring and was MFG in Canada 1937 pat base plate at the Niagara Falls Schick plant before it closed(they claim no G types where made in Canada?).
    Razor: Schick G1 type injector 1946> Canadian variant
    Blade: Personna SS PTFE blade (1) awesomely sharp and a bit smooth also.
    Soap : Razorock XXX
    Preshave: wet the face + Aloe Vera gel
    Postshave: Alum block+ cold water rinse
    Post shave: Razorock Blue barber+ witch hazel+ Nivea balm
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum indicated minor irritation and one blemish weeper.= :)
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Hembree, brit and BBS like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Same shave as shave 6. Tomorrow I will do a baseline shave to see if the blade is done or not. I should be able to get 10 shaves out of a Proline blade like I can with other injector blades.

Hembree, Ron R and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very cool Ron..

Hembree likes this.
  9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

9/12/19

RazoRock 400 Noir Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
    Timeless Shaving Bowl
    Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Soap and Aftershave Splash
    Magazine Repeating Razor Company “Schick Type A”
    Schick Injector Blade (Yellow Package)

A very interesting shave in the den this morning for the first shave with the “A”. I manually loaded a blade in the head and I have to admit it was a little scary at first when you see the overhang of the blade. I was very surprised the “A” gave a very nice comfortable shave with no weepers or nicks. It does feel a little more aggressive than the modern Schicks but this thing can shave! Two passes and a few touch ups. The alum was a little warm but nothing uncomfortable. I am looking forward to another shave with the “A”.

Finished up with SDM aftershave splash and off to work.

The razor is a little marvel with the thought and engineering that went in to it. I think Col. Jacob Schick nailed it right out of the box with his first razor.

Y'all take care and have a great day.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. brit

brit in a box

very cool razor Danny..

Hembree likes this.
  11. Hembree

Thanks Gary. She ain't a beauty queen but what she likes in looks she makes up for it in the shave.

brit likes this.
  12. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my Type A -- and completely agree with your assessment, the Colonel did "knock it out of the park" with his first swing. I've got about half dozen Schick models, but the "A" has made it to the top of the list.

brit and Hembree like this.
  13. Hembree

Thanks.............I just wish she was in a little better shape as far as looks but hey...........it is a type "A" and how many of those do you see. Take care.

brit likes this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Looks like I have been selecting different E type Schick injectors and this one is a E2, tomorrow who knows I still have a e5 I want to give a go with these Personna blades.
    Razor: Schick E2 Canadian injector MFG 1937+
    Blade: Personna SS PTFE injector (2)
    Soap : Razorock XXX
    Preshave: wet the face + Aloe Vera gel.
    Post shave:Alum +cold water rinse
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor + witch hazel + Nivea balm
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + Alum block indicated Greater irritation than normal=:(
    SEptemper 12-2019 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

brit, BBS, Flintstone65 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on Col Jacob Schick bringing out his revolutionary designed razor and showing up the competition. Strange he sold this part of the business and went big time into electric razors and such. I guess he thought the future was going electric and every one would own electric razors and sold his razor business to American chain and Cable company and started Schick Dry Shaver Inc 1930.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  16. Hembree

I had read up a little on the company and it is interesting. Like you said that is probably where he thought the industry was headed. Ninety years later we are still appreciating and shaving with the early razors....amazing.

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Schick I2v1, Schick Proline B-20, shave 8.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shave was meh and I know for sure the blade being done is why since I've gotten much better shaves with this razor and blade combo before. Fresh blade and razor up next for tomorrow.

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well its another Schick Sunday for me with no complaints, I will try and make it a Sunday tradition if not testing other shaving products.
    Razor : Schick Canadian E5 with the black handle(rarity some claim?)
    Blade : Personna injector SS PTFE (3)
    Soap : Colonel Conk Bayrum
    Pre shave : Wet the face + Aloe Vera gel
    Post shave : Alum + cold water rinse
    Post shave : Proraso Red sandal wood + witch hazel + Nivea balm
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + alum block indicated minimal irritation =:)
    SEptemper 15-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

BBS and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool shave,sir love the black handle..not sure if they are rare but i haven't seen many compared to the others..

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yesterday and today's shaves were with an E2 with the movable spring and D, both had fresh personna ptfe blades in them.
    e2.jpg sd.jpg

End result glass like BBS shaves with both razors, E2 is super efficient, D is forgiving but is definitely not mild. Lesson learned here based on prior shaves, don't switch blades between razors, it is too easy to screw up the blade edge which is probably what accounted for some of these less than satisfactory shaves that I wouldn't have gotten if I just stayed with one blade, one razor which I am going to do from now on.

brit likes this.