Someone to hone some of my better straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by kjbarth, Jun 14, 2022.

1. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since I used a straight and my favorite straights need a touch up or honing. I am a beginner/early novice honer and am not comfortable honing these razors for fear of messing them up. I am continuing to practice honing on some very low cost razors and once I've mastered my technique, I'll consider honing these more expensive razors. But I'm at least a few months or more away from that comfort level.

In the mean time, I'm looking for some recommendations from anyone that has used someone recently to hone straights for them located in the US. I'm aware of Glen (@GsSixgun) in Idaho, aware of Howard Schecter (I think, I forget his Co name) in Mass, and aware of @Doc226 in RI I think. I'm in NJ so sending to Mass or RI would make sense for me but more important is that the honing be excellent. I've seen pics of Glen's work, seen video's of Howard's work, and read good comments about Alfredo's work. All impressive.

I've got an Iwasaki Western Tamahagane that I love using but haven't used in over 5 yrs and could use a touch up, a Tim Zowada damascus (I think he might hone his own razors for free if purchased through him, which this was), a Koraat 14 2.0, and a few others that I'm not comfortable putting on the stones myself.

I'm thinking I'll contact @gssixgun, Howard and @Doc226 to see what's what and go from there. Any other recommendations or considerations?

Thank you.

gssixgun likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My one and only recommendation - Glen
    I've been sending him my straights to hone for years.
    Always great service!

gssixgun and Queen of Blades like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I couldn’t have said it better myself - you can PM him @gssixgun :happy088:

gssixgun likes this.
  4. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I recommend doing it yourself it’s actually not hard at all. Only if the metal is all warped. Then it could be a little challenging. I actually learned a lot from Glen, Dr. Matt, and my buddy Nick. I really got the hang of it on my 3rd or 4th attempt and kept on getting better

5. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I’m in south jersey, maby if your close enough I can teach you in person