The Brush: Basic Information Everyone Should Know

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PLANofMAN, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Wow that is a great read, thank you.

2. Ryan Hoover

Ryan Hoover Member

3. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

Wow. It feels like I am in heaven. This information really opened my eyes. And also triggered BAD. I should restrained myself.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Updated the description of the flattop knot shape. It is more often referred to as a hybrid knot these days.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Very well-done. I believe I will be checking back on this post many times, especially the "how-to?"

6. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Thanks Ryan, I learned a lot, especially now that I am turning my attention to brushes, I need help from the pros, question if your brush is wet it should hang down to dry, right but if it's dry can it sit upright on the handle ?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've never noticed a difference between the two, but here's the basics of the two schools of thought.

Upside down: keeps water from running down into the center of the knot.

On the handle: lets water evaporate easier.

I just give it a good shake to get most of the water out, then brush it briskly in several directions on a hand towel. Then I wrap the knot in the towel and give it a squeeze to get as much moisture as I can out of it. Then I either hang it or set it on the handle.

Brushmakers sell stands as well as brushes, so they have a vested interest in hanging brushes to dry.

PatrickA51 and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Thanks Ryan, I like that quote "Oh crap, he's up

PatrickA51 and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Like you, I've never noticed a difference, and agree with your post. But here's my argument to both for those who insist on one way or the other...

Upside down: keeps water from running down into the center of the knot.
    Argument: I've never seen water run down to the end of the bristles when hung this way, why would the water run to the center of the knot if hung the other way?

On the handle: lets water evaporate easier.
    Argument: I've never had a problem with water evaporating from the INSIDE of a glass when, after it has been washed, placed upside down in the dish rack to dry. The glass still dries, inside and out. So will your brush.

@waffen Bottom line - it doesn't matter bristles up OR bristles down. Just follow Ryan's way of drying, never store a damp brush in an enclosed area (cabinet or closet), and you'll have your brushes last quite a while.

PatrickA51 and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Updated the OP again.
    Added Envy Shave https://www.etsy.com/shop/EnvyShave to the list of knot suppliers, and rewrote the section on "care" with updated information and scientific evidence regarding the age old question of bristles up or down.

11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hi - maybe I am a bit daft but I cannot find the thread that tells me how to de-funk my badger.... I searched using Google and the mind boggles at the kind of sites I found ;)

I just took delivery of a Edwin Jagger beaver and used it today for the first time and it is a bit rich smelling.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I use shampoo and conditioner on my brushes.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Vlasta and PatrickA51 like this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I used some shampoo that my wife had to clean every brush I have before I use them. I also use Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo to clean them, every month or so. Which ever brush i have been using.

14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's what beavers do

For a badger brush, making a couple of lathers already helps getting rid of the initial funk.

Vlasta and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Right - I shampooed it three times and conditioned it. Now drying in the breeze. smells better already.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It is in the Tutorials. Here's the link http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/clean-de-stink-your-shaving-brushes.31353/

17. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

How much pressure do you use when lathering? Do you use just the tips and soft pressure or do you press to get some flaying?

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    For me, it depends on the brush. A two band badger with lots of backbone, I treat it like it wronged me, and abuse the heck out of it. Silvertips, I just use the tips. Boar, gets treated somewhere in the middle. It's different for each person and each brush.

brit, swarden43 and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Great info, guys! Thank you!

Douglas Carey and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

What an amazing informative review.
    Congratulations to the OP, it is truly amazing and exactly what I have been looking for.
    Thank you so much,
    Wayne

PLANofMAN likes this.