The Slim came up small..

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TstebinsB, Sep 28, 2007.

1. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I tried the Gillette Tech and that was painfully meek. I used the Gillette Slim Adjustable today and while it gave a serviceable shave, I'm going to stick to the Merkurs from now on. I had to finish up with a Merkur Progress to get my usual BBS feel. The Slim just didn't feel right in my hands. Oh, and the burn! I haven't had razor burn like that since the first time I tried a Feather DE blade. You add in a bunch of nicks and you've got yourself a dissatisfied shaver.

2. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

I purchased a Tech several weeks ago and still have not used it. It just feels so light in my hand and, well, "meek" is a good word for it. I know I can't fully decide until I try it, but I have a feeling it's not going to be good. I am starting to get away from the Gillettes as I am not getting great shaves from them.

Like you Telly, my last shave with a Gillette ('66 SS) went two passes and I had to bring the HD for relief.

3. bladerunner

bladerunner New Member

try a selection of differant blades before you give up. IMHO gillettes are the difinative DE razor

the slim and tech are mild shavers the super adjustable, improved new ,new,fatboy,old type and the english gilletes of the 50s are much more aggrsive,altho aggresive is not always a good thing, razor burn is a sure sign that the razor is to aggresive for your face what setting did you use to shave it with 6-7 on a slim is about the same as a HD

as always YMMV

4. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

The Gillette SA actually dethroned my Sticky as my favourite DE razor. I've never really liked the Tech. Dialed on 3~4 for the first pass then dialed on 1 for blade-buffing against the grain. OMTIAOT (One man's trash is another one's treasure; I'm fed up with YMMV).

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Just a thought.. Make sure your slim isnt faulty.. Ive had a few ones (feels like a common failure) where one corner of the razorhead dont adjust, which leaves the blade kinda slanted (in a bad way).. Its hard to see with a blade in, so remove the blade and turn it up to 9, then it will be visible..

Or its just not the razor for you.. Im basically a Merkur Man myself..

6. Johnmw1

Johnmw1 New Member

I have been trying to use a long handle super adjustable for the last couple of months with my trusty feather blades. Even with it dialed back to 3, I still get a terrible in grown hair problem for about the next week after each use.

Lately I have been using my gold executive, also set on 3, but receiving extremely nice BBS shaves with no irritation what so ever, so go figure because it sure has me wondering.

Cheers
    John

7. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Well, I have my Feather AC and my Merkur Progress razors. I'm set. No more testing other stuff.

8. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

MEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRKKKKKKUUUUURRRRR....... (I'm probably one of their biggest fans) (I even like the Merkur Razor blades)

Can't beat them.....

But, I did try a vintage (1930's) Tech that I was trying to sell (no takers) and to my surprise the shave was great. The razor was much lighter than I was accustomed so maybe I just paid particular attention to my technique, but I can't complain about the shave. I decided to keep it and not sell it on ebay...

Enjoy your shave... :D