The Wabbit 3d printed injector razor pass around.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 10, 2020.

?

If the designs were made public on thingverse would you have this razor printed for personal use?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    93.1%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

My take is that maybe the cap doesn't allow to dial it in correctly. If you want to file it down some so you can get a more shallow angle with the razor go right ahead. With injectors my experience is that at some point going too steep doesn't make them perform any better and just makes them overly aggressive. That razor may be outside it's sweet spot because of the cap. Filing it more flat will allow you to find that sweet spot if it is outside the range of it right now because the cap angle.

If you decide you don't want to modify the cap I'd suggest sending back to me first and I'll modify it and then send it back out.

Flintstone65, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  2. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Well it's going to a while before I'm ready to shave again so who ever is next on the list can test it. Anyway part of the problem to was my hands where twitching which didn't help i probably twitched at the wrong time too so i have to wait until it stops before i try again.

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Fair enough, send it over my way first and I'll send it back out to the next person on the list after modifying it. I also want to test the flatter cap myself before it continues along.

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Looking forward to how that works out.

Jayaruh and GAW9576 like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Razor has landed. I'll modify the cap in the next day or so, test and send back out by the end of week.

GAW9576, Flintstone65 and twhite like this.
  6. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Of course.
    But...
    The nuts seem easily available on eBay. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    It would ruin the looks.

GAW9576 likes this.
  7. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I'll have to look on EBay. I had to file down a full size nut I found at a hardware store. The narrower nut is certainly better looking.

8. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

I searched for "M5 thin half hex nut" on eBay US and there were plenty with free shipping from China.
    You just need patience.

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Modification done on cap. It is sloppy but it fixes the problem for now. You can now get a shallower angle on the shave which may improve the performance. I'll be testing it later today then it will be off to @jmudrick next since he was supposed to get it after @steve207 .
    wabbit1.jpg wabbit2.jpg

Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Testing done. The mod certainly does mellow out the razor a bit on a very shallow angle that you could otherwise not get with the original cap design. With that said it is still has a lot of blade feel and can still bite you if you aren't careful at a shallow angle. I don't know if it made it shave any closer but it is more manageable. Razor still is not for the faint of heart or beginner wet shaver looking for instant gratification.

Razor will be off in the mail tomorrow to @jmudrick

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and jmudrick like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I wonder if a *bunny* would make it as a 3D printed razor. *nudge nudge* *wink wink* :innocent

13. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I'm waiting on the STL file to be released too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAW9576, twhite and brit like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The spring would be very problematic. To get plastic to work would change the shave geometry too much I think.

If I ever get a printer. You can bet I would try it. I am working on the Finance Minister to allocate funds in the coming quarters.

15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ah, of course the spring. Well I will have to wait for the consumer metal version. do you know if the Finance Minister is open to bribes? Maybe some nice herring or salmon just happens to fall off the back of the truck?

Edison Carter, GAW9576, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You could try using a TPE filament for the spring instead of PLA or ABS.

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Looking at available filament types and printing techniques these printers look to be a lot more versatile than I thought.

19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes they are pretty amazing. Just wait 5 to 10 years. That stuff will be insane

GAW9576 likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I think I am going to be getting a printer finally for Christmas after looking at what they really are capable of. I can already see razors being a lot more polished and sturdy being 3D printed with some experimenting once a base design in is in place.