Yaqi High Mountain White???

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by MR41, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I heard a you tube shave guy say that Yaqi was going to release a high mountain white badger shave brush in March. I have been eagerly awaiting such a release. Has anyone seen or heard tell of one?

GawainandtheGreenKnight and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I already get entirely too much advertising in my email, but if you want to sign up, you can FOLLOW them.

MR41 likes this.
  3. blitz

blitz Member

not up yet but I wouldn't get too hung up on the nomenclature. Whether the difference is the actual badger pelt or bleaching/processing I can't say for sure but I lean toward the latter. In practice I have trouble distinguishing huge differences between their sivertip offerings but all seem to have the same huge bloom.

http://www.yqbrush.cn/uploads/allimg/130607/1-13060G63240.jpg

A- 3 band silvertip
    B - referred to a silvertip and super, but could also be HWM given some photos
    C - 2 band silvertip
    D - Best
    E- Pure
    F - mixed (not pictured)

You can also browse their instagram and match up the finished brush with the knot samples.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd7fIVkFwAf/?taken-by=yaqibrush
    HMW from kevyshaves https://www.instagram.com/p/BelpRqNBfkU/?hl=en&taken-by=kevyshaves

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    RyX and MR41 like this.
  4. blitz

blitz Member

MR41 likes this.
  5. alesmv

alesmv Member

Enrico, kfbrady, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic and the breakdown.

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yeah me too on the ads. They’re not the problem it’s who they sell it to.

RyX likes this.
  9. blitz

blitz Member

HMW is up now.

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I looked at them a couple of weeks ago, I wish it had a better handle. I don't like that "androgynous"(what I call it) blue color.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  11. blitz

blitz Member

some more options would be nice.

MR41 likes this.
  12. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

13. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Happy to announce I just ordered one. I think the handle looks awesome. Will update in a few weeks when it arrives.

RyX likes this.
  14. Johan M

Johan M Member

What about that update.

Is it as advertized?

15. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Who is this directed towards? Shipping from Yaqi takes a few weeks.

16. blitz

blitz Member

just arrived. Have only test lathered but appearance is as shown in other photos, huge bloom, softer than the yaqi silvertip, backbone feels about the same. Will post a full review after it gets some actual mileage.

GawainandtheGreenKnight and RyX like this.
  17. Johan M

Johan M Member

Still looking forward to your follow up!

Weasel640 likes this.
  18. boingo

boingo Member

Where is the website for this brush?

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    http://www.yqbrush.cn

Edit: that's the website for the company. The link to the brush being discussed was already posted. It's the AliExpress link.

20. blitz

blitz Member

the HMW is yaqi's flagship badger and ticks several boxes, but facefeel is not one of them. It is well constructed, only shedding a couple hairs during initial cleanings/test lathers. It has a medium firm backbone, holds a decent amount of water, loads/lathers easily, and has fairly good flow through. The tips however have a distinctive prickle/scritch to them that is very similar to a simpson's best or maybe a high end pure badger. Obviously this is a YMMV thing, but I don't think that fits the backbone/facefeel combination most expect with a HMW (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong as I haven't used many HMW/manchurians). Regardless if you are after softer, go with the 2band or silvertip which are both cheaper. Another caveat is that if you prefer smaller brushes, you may want to avoid yaqi badgers altogether as they have a large bloom, especially the fans.

as was already mentioned you can purchase from aliexpress as well as west coast shaving.

Rhody likes this.