Bowl or face lather?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by aelfred.t.allspa, Feb 29, 2016.

1. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

When using a soft soap like sterling, do you gents or gals more often face lather or bowl lather? I keep having a little difficulty getting the water right for the bowl and I'm wondering if face blathering is fool proof

2. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

I prefer a bowl lather (with soaps or creams). Sure, it requires a little more time than a face lather, but for me it's worth it. In my experience, if all other factors (soap being used, time loading the brush, or which brush I use) are equal, I find bowl lathering works best for me. Others here will have a different experience than mine; therefore, they will have a different preference than mine. But for me, I find that bowl lathering ensures I have more than enough lather for a three-pass shave plus a cleanup pass (if necessary).

3. KLF

KLF Doctorin

In winter I prefer using a scuttle to lather and to keep it warm. In a bowl I make more lather than directly on face.
    However, when face- lather I get the feeling it really helps soften up the stubble :)

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have had my best luck with face lathering, even with soft soaps like Stirling. I've never had consistent success with bowl lathering. I likely don't want to take the time to make a decent bowl lather. I can feel and hear it when the face lather is right.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here. I just don't like face lathering.
    And I could be wrong, but I doubt any of the gals you inquire about face lather.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I face lather everything now. Creams, soaps, croaps,....everything. :)

7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I like the ritual of the bowl lathering; the process. Building a lather is enjoyable to me.

8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I seem have more control with a bowl. I also just like the process. I guess I just like to fiddle.

9. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I've been mostly bowl lathering. I have a bunch of samples I am trying, and they pretty much need to bowl lather. I am starting with straights, using the 'baseball' pattern of only lathering one section at a time, so it doesn't dry out. It's nice to have a bunch of lather all made up in a bowl already. But if I don't make enough going back to the soap is a bit more difficult.

10. GMPTA

GMPTA Active Member

I mostly bowl lather... That's what I did my first time with some Bigelow cream and it worked great for me. Every now and then I'll face lather (when I had an arko stick, when I'm running short of time, etc). But mainly bowl... Just my process as I'm still getting everything down pat

11. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I use a scuttle to warm my brush. I load and then set the brush in the bowl while I wet my face and get the razor stropped or blade inserted the face lather. I will add trickles of water to the brush as necessary.

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I face lather unless I'm using my scuttle.

13. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I always face lather. Mostly because my bowl lathering skills are pretty weak.

14. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I do both. I start in the bowl and then go to the face.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I started with face lathering and boar brushes. Then I got an OS mug, a suribachi, & a badger brush. More bowl than face lathering now. My bowl lathering skills improved when I used more product.

16. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

The trick always is loading enough product

17. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

Absolutely right. By face blathering for the gals I meant from soap straight to legs. My bad.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All in good fun! I knew what you meant.

19. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Until about 1.5 years ago I hardly ever face lathered. I stated doing it during a 30 day rule and have stuck with it ever since.

I believe it is much easier to get the water ratio perfect when face lathering than with a bowl.

20. kc1ble

kc1ble Well-Known Member

I prefer to use a bowl, love building up the lather!