Are there any that don't burn?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by 808Chaney, Jun 6, 2008.

1. 808Chaney

808Chaney New Member

I have tried a few different aftershaves and so far, they all burn the living daylights out of my face. Are there any dept store aftershaves that won't light my face on fire? My latest purchase was Nivea Sensitive Extra Soothing Balm and even that is like a flash fire on my face. I don't believe it has alcohol in it but I don't know for sure because I threw away the box and the bottle doesn't have the ingredient legend on it. I thought it was because I was being to agressive with the razor but even if I just do one pass WTG without putting any pressure on the razor, the aftershave still burns. My face would appreciate any suggestions anybody might have.
    Thanks...

2. CatMan

CatMan Member

If you dilute your AS with witch hazel, it won't burn. The more WH, the less burn. You just have to experiment to find your personal blend. I'm down to 30% AS and 70% WH.

3. freemartin

freemartin Afficianado of "cans"

Clubman has an aftershave lotion out now, Club Complete After Shave.
    [​IMG]
    It's in their new "Clubman Shave" line.
    [​IMG]
    From my experience, it has no burn at all. I like the traditional Clubman myself, I like to know it's there. Since it sounds like your skin is a little more sensitive the burn than mine, you'd might appreciate this stuff more. It's a lotion style, in a tube, not like the bottle that Clubman is known for. The scent and feel is very subtle, even compared to some other, well-known brand aftershave gels I've used (By Mennen).

I got it at Sally Beauty Supply (Yeah I'm embarrassed, but I knew they carried Clubman stuff) or clubmancool.com. (It's cheaper at Sally's) The line has a Scrub, Shave Cream, Shave Gel, After Shave, and Bump stop. I love the "Club Scrub", exfoliating face scrub deally, and face wash is something I've been sampling for 15 years.

4. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

[​IMG]
    Just use witch hazel as an aftershave. I used to use Thayer's Lemon but now I make my own for four or five times less money. I add two teaspoons of essential oil of lime to 16 oz. of generic drugstore witch hazel. This makes a strong scent so you might start off with maybe a half teaspoon and keep adding until you find the level you prefer. You can use any essential oil and get about any scent you like. I prefer citrus aftershaves starting with Old Spice Lime back in the 1960's. Most drugstore witch hazel is 20% alcohol but it won't burn and it's much better for your skin.

Richard

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

maybe you should use a good balm like Easy Care. It's very soothing and cooling.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

apply balm first then aftershave...simple!

Raf

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I like the Kiehls Facial Fuel Moisturizer (without SPF) as an ASB currently. No burn.

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Before you go out and start buying a bunch of stuff :)eek: did I say that out loud ???:o).................

Do you do this:

after completing shave Warm Water Rinse, then Cold water rinse and then apply AS ??

If not, try it a few times and see if the sting doesnt subside a bit.
    Warm rinse and make sure ALL the product is off and then the Cold for a few seconds.
    This really helped me until my technique improved.

9. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Oddly enough, something that I find that does a great job of soothing irritated skin is Clubman talc powder. Sometimes I'll use it right after the shave instead of an aftershave

10. Purvis

Purvis Well-Known Member

Another product that I just started to use that does not burn me at all is the new Lucky Tiger AS. It has witch hazel as a base.

Sean

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I really like the L'Erbolario Vetiver AS - it doesn't contain any alcohol. But then again, I do like the stinging sensation I get from an alcohol-based AS.

12. I am not a big fan of face melt but the stinging is a good thing as it is protecting you from potential infection. Many of the manicure/pedicure shops got into problems with infections because they were using balms that felt good but did not kill infection causing bacteria. A little sting is a positive.

13. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

Truefitt & Hill aftershave balms won't sting. Most likely have to mail order them though, and they aren't cheap. I still think T&H scents are the best, though

Nancy Boy Replenishing Aftershave Gel does not sting, either. It does have some witch hazel in it, and it's about $17 for 4 oz. You use very little. Joining 'Club Nancy Boy' is both a topic of amusement at parties and will save you money. The emails you get are really weird, though.

I usually start with a non-stinger, then go to a mild stinger, then go straight alcohol-based aftershave. I get some moisterizing but I'm not left feeling sticky. I leave 5-10 min between applications.

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I like the sting. :)

You might consider the Ogallala Bay Rum though. My usual alcohol-based splashes can be potent, but this one is anything but. You can buy it thru the TSD store...here.

15. rafikz

rafikz Member

Try only cold water.

16. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Ogallala has no burn at all. Lots of great advice here.

If the burn bothers you, stay away from alcohol based products. Look more for witch hazel, or balms.

17. freemartin

freemartin Afficianado of "cans"

I have tried what both Michael and Reformation Student have brought up, I will give thumbs up to advice from both of them.

I do love that Clubman Talc!

18. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Me too. Though Clubman bay rum is a bit much for me. But the pleasant tingle of Aqua Velva just makes me feel fresh.

As far as balms go, Brut is quite soothing. Whether the scent agrees with you (I happen to like it) is another matter.

19. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Get yourself a bottle of Musgo Real Balsam and call it a day.

:D

20. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

I have a few alcohol based aftershaves but don't normally use them. I throw on some witch hazel after the cold water rinse and then use an after shave balm. I find this combination much more soothing to the face. I may sell/trade my aftershaves given how infrequently I use them.