Razor perfection found

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by whiskeycharlie, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Yeah with the quality look of that finish I would expect it to last way over 5 years!

battle.munky likes this.
  2. True but I would rather not take half an hour to get bbs when my two favorite razors will bang out quality shaves fairly quickly. Looking for new razors, I look for something comparable or better than what I have gotten used to. I used to like my 33c but since my technique has gotten better, I do better with a little more aggressive razors. Love the Merkur HD handle so might add a 34c someday just for variety as I hear it is more aggressive than 33c due to different balance.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I get up earlier than I have to so I can take my time with my shave. If it takes a little longer, so be it. Shaving is my ME time. During that time I pray, I ponder. I enjoy my shave. I'm not saying you don't, I'm not saying my way is THE way, just saying that's the way I enjoy my shave. For me it is more about the shave than the results.

4. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

+1

5. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Wait til you try it with a better handle

6. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I believe the Fatip's base metal is brass.
    You mention vintage, and looking for something akin to the DE 89. Have you tried an old type or NEW. I know they are open comb, and everyone calls them aggressive, but to me they are around the same feel as the DE89, FWIW,

battle.munky likes this.
  7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, I've had several and got rid of them when I purged my collection the first time. If I didn't use it because I like another razor better, I got rid of it. I ended up keeping the DE89, R41, vtg Merkur Slant, 1932 Canadian Fat Handled Tech, and have since acquired (somehow) a few 40s Superspeeds and a couple other razors. I was thinking of going with a new SS model, I just don't want to hand out 200 bucks for something I've never tried. My 89 just started deteriorating so I have time but a 200 dollar anything takes some consideration, at least for me.

SRNewb likes this.
  8. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Active Member

My Merkur HD is my daily go-to choice but as others have stated. It's not only the shave quality but the experience as well. I often think of how things were in the world, when most of my vintage razors wetre made & using one of them gives me the feeling of a connection to the past, which I do not get from my Merkur even though the shave is usually superior.

battle.munky likes this.
  9. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't go $200 on a razor, either.
    There's another option to think of as well. Have you tried Maggard's V3 head? Very inexpensive. You could buy 6 of them for around $40 with shipping. They are very much a DE89 clone. Blade alignment is perfect, fit and finish is fantastic. You could pop them on your DE 89 handle, and use them until they all wear out. That could take a couple of decades, easy. Just a thought.
    Here's a quick look at one.

battle.munky likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I was looking at those and thinking the same thing you suggest.

SRNewb likes this.