Ikon #102 Slant: Too Mild for My Coarse Beard

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NDMyers, Feb 25, 2016.

1. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

I so much wanted to like this razor. After so many glowing reviews from others I managed to buy one directly from Shavecraft with an 80mm Bulldog handle

I have tried the Ikon #102 with the following blades, Astra SP, Voskhod, Rapira Super Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux, Baili, Croma Diamant and Polsilver Super Iridium.

This razor is very comfortable to use and with any blade produces an irritation free shave. But for me never a close shave. Never a BSS ,(or a BBS if you like babies' butts) no matter what I do.

My last shave today was with a Rapira Platinum Lux that produces for me a BSS in my Mergress, Futur, Slim and Fatip Clone Open Comb, and even in my Merkur 37C Slant. So I know this blade can produce a BSS. Just not in the Ikon #102. I know, I know slants are aggressive; many others judge this razor to be mild, yet efficient. But for me, however many passes, (3 ATG alone)buffs and j-hooks I made I just cannot get a smooth shave. And I really tried.

I'm confident in my technique, because I use some aggressive razors and get smooth shaves with no nicks, cuts, or weepers. I guess I'm more comfortable with the more aggressive razors. Or adjustable razors set to their higher settings.

So for those trying to get a close shave with a coarse beard, I'd love to recommend this razor but I can't. If you have a lighter to medium beard it would probably be great.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
    AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and crackstar like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Sorry to hear about your experience with the 102. You're right, it is very smooth. I have the long OSS handle. In my case I get a BBS every time. I guess it's always YMMV!

RaZorBurn123, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  3. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

How many times have you shaved with it, some people say you should give a razor at least a month to get accustomed with it whether if its aggressive, medium or mild, give it some time.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  4. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Have you tried the Double Open Comb razor by crown king or Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements?

The 102 was my go-to razor until I found the DOC.

I'm sure it won't be hard to sell or trade that 102 head.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

This is strange but I also have a very tough beard, yet I use a mild razor which is a 1950's Super Speed and it gives me great BBS shaves. My blade of choice these days is the Astra.

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

that's sorta the trick. wildly aggressive razors hide deficiencies in technique.
    they are so open that the operator can fudge here and there on angle and still get away with getting a good shave.
    the milder razors can provide great shaves, but one has to mind the angle. once that's dialed in, great things happen.

7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Oh great...thanks. Now I have to get a DOC? Just what I needed, more razors on my "list".

JR Reyes, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  8. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

Yes Herm I recently retired the Phoenix Double Open Comb. Nice idea and a cool looking razor but way, way too mild. Like the Ikon #102 I really wanted it to work for me, but it just cannot deliver a smooth shave.
    One time I tired ten passes with the double open just to see what would happen. Still rough. I think it's a great razor if you have a light beard, or if you are new to DE shaving. Good for the ladies too, and perhaps less intimidating for those wanting to shave sensitive areas.

9. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

S
    I shaved with it about 25 times. I think my technique is pretty good, but I'm always looking to improve.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

Hi Dave,

I appreciate your feedback and I completely disagree with you. I developed pretty good technique because of aggressive razors. That's why people are afraid of them, because with bad technique you'll cut yourself to ribbons. I think it's the opposite way around.

You can press with a mild razor, and with a light enough beard it will work. Do that with a Futur set to four and above, or a Mergress set to five and you'll know about it.

However some razors are just aggressive and inefficient. Yuk

What's the most aggressive razor you have used? What type of beard do you have?

Best,

Neil

11. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

Jeff,
    do you have a picture of those tough whiskers? How often do you shave?

Best,

Neil

12. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

13. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

Yes Mr. Reyes I recently retired the Phoenix Double Open Comb. Nice idea and a cool looking razor but way, way too mild. Like the Ikon #102 I really wanted it to work for me, but it just cannot deliver a smooth shave.
    One time I tired ten passes with the double open just to see what would happen. Still rough. I think it's a great razor if you have a light beard, or if you are new to DE shaving. Good for the ladies too, and perhaps less intimidating for those wanting to shave sensitive areas.

14. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

A good point. It's true razors have their quirks and I'm prepared to admit that I can improve technique, but my technique is pretty good at this point. Even with very aggressive razors I get a smooth shave, and very rarely get cuts, nicks, weepers or razor burn. I just can't do it with this puppy.

Curse my beard!! I wish I could because it's a very smooth and comfortable razor to use. A lot less scary that say a Futur set to 5.

I appreciate the feedback.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're ready for the Ikon Tech. A great aggressive razor that really works (for me at least).

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Saved me the typing.

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm currently using straight razors,
    and I have medium to heavy beard. my collection of razors (about 50 or so) range from Gillette blue tip to a fatip Grande. all of them are designed to leave a gap of exposed blade, if I put my whiskers in that gap, they get cut off.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I just realized a great razor to try which is efficient and mid aggression if you will would be the Evahs. It's beautifully finished and those of us here that have one agree it's pretty darn awesome.
    IMG_20160226_174603.jpg

Redfisher, AGHisBBS and LuvWetShavin like this.
  19. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Okay...how about an SE? Have you tried micromatic open comb?

AGHisBBS, Omaney and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I don know why but I couldn't get a very close shave with the ikon slant it's so mild but I could with the merkur 37 c