This is not a Futur Razor. This is Primeshave Model TX18

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by hobbitofny, Dec 3, 2015.

1. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

Not a great video, but I got asked about correcting the TX18 to work right. It tends to ship over turned. I never move mine from a six. If I do I never have the blade in it. No finger cut. (yes I have cats and those are cat hairs.)

2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video. I am now very interested but haven't found this razor for sale in any of the usual places. @hobbitofny do you know of any sellers?

jimjo1031 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

4. AGHisBBS

@hobbitofny Thank you, I've bookmarked it and will check back on it.

Robyflexx and hobbitofny like this.
  5. AGHisBBS

@hobbitofny Ordered mine today!:happy036: Coming on a slow boat from China.

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Robyflexx and Jorvaljr like this.
  7. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    That thing looks a mess. Look at the left to right blade angle at 2:38 when he says "the edges match up". They clearly don't. Thanks for sharing, interesting for me it's a no buy, but for others a deal. It's what makes the world go round i suppose. I just don't want to get into fixing anything new...when I get a flawed new product I return it and don't go back. YMMV.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wanted to get one of these a couple of years ago, but I never did follow through. Now they are up to $40. I think I will continue to pass on it. I will go for the real thing if I ever find the urge irresistible.

9. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I know the futurs are pot metal, what about these knock offs?

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  11. AGHisBBS

Actually we're talking about this razor: primeshave.GIF and it's worked out great! I don't own a Futur to compare but it is comparable to my Progress, my actual shaving complaints are common to the Futur, too large a head.
    The video really makes this look bad. Mine came a bit "tight". I looked for a You Tube video on how to assemble/dissemble a Futur (so easy!) and lubed mine. that's it. No misaligned anything. Works great.
    I paid $22 on the Bay for mine, a decision making price. It came with a uselessly small shaving brush that is true trash.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

@AGHisBBS Thank you for clarification. I've got something tangled in my antivirus & browser. Media links like YouTube don't show up.

Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

What lube did you use?

navy mac likes this.
  14. AGHisBBS

Couple of drops of mineral oil, worked like a charm, now the whole razor has eased up with use and no more problems.

navy mac and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

How is the razor working out, I am interested in getting one. Do you still like the razor

navy mac likes this.
  16. AGHisBBS

I couldn't recommend a razor more! Although it hasn't been in heavy rotation (none of my adjustables are) it's holding up great! Perhaps the most educational thing I could have done was to see the You Tube video on how to disassemble and clean the Futur and find the same guts in the Primeshave. My advice to anyone interested is to go ahead and buy one, I haven't regretted buying mine for a second.
    I keep mentioning the video, it makes everything so easy for cleaning and to see how it works inside:

navy mac, jimjo1031 and Ceferguson like this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Amazon has it, $38.00. Ebay, the black one, $22.00

navy mac likes this.
  18. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I paid $40 for my Fat Boy. I think I'll pass on this'n.