Crabtree & Evelyn

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Nathan1611, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Nathan1611

Nathan1611 Well-Known Member

So I recently bought Crabtree and Evelyn soap in the sandalwood scent and I have to say I am extremely disappointed. I have tried variations of water temp, different brushes, soaking the puck and different amounts of water and just cannot get this soap to lather well. It always produces a thin lather with huge bubbles that dissipates in just a few seconds. So my question is, is this a common complaint with this soap and is there anything else that I could possibly try?

R-C likes this.
  2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

With some of these very hard triple milled soaps you're going to want to load the brush as much as a full minute.

Boojum1 and Bristle Me like this.
  3. shmuel

shmuel Member

It is my understanding that the English soaps (with exception of MWF and Harris) were reformulated a fewyears ago and for the worse. I have an old puck of C & E Sandalwood and it is fine. I suggest D. R. Harris for a great English triple milled experience.

imGrunt, Boojum1 and GDCarrington like this.
  4. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

they were reformulated to exclude tallow. Harris and MWF still have tallow.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. shmuel

shmuel Member

I forgot to mention that Penhaligans was recently reformulated again and for the better. I have the new Sartorial soap and it is great. I don't believe it is a tallow based formula. However, Harris is at least as good and about half the price.

6. Nathan1611

Nathan1611 Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is the issue! I'll give it another shot

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you like the scent, add a squirt of unscented KMF cream. It will boost the lather and not interfere with the scent of the C&E.

8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I suggest you try this:

Soak the soap for at least 1 hour in warm water. By soaking, I mean submerge it.

Soak your brush in warm water for 3-5 minutes just before you remove
    your soap from it's soak. Remove the brush & give it 2 brisk shakes.
    Proceed to the loading instructions below.

Load the soap into the brush with vigor. It generally requires more time & effort to get
    enough hard soap loaded into the brush in order to make good lather.

By loading, I mean:

1. Swirling. Press down moderately on the brush while holding the handle straight up or slightly leaning to the rear.
    Like you are pushing the bristles ahead of the handle.

2. Pumping. Push the brush down moderately onto the soap and pull it back up.

3. Push/Pulling. Tilt the handle toward you slightly and push the brush across the soap in a straight motion directly away from you.
    Then tilt the handle slightly away from you and pull the brush straight back. Do both actions whilst putting moderate
    downward pressure on the brush. Alternate between these three methods several times to load soap. You won't damage the brush by pushing down on it unless you get carried away. You'll know you are loading properly when you have a thick, creamy goo in the brush and very little foam or bubbles. If you do have bubbles or foam, your brush was too wet at the start. Move the brush to your bowl or your face and begin building lather.

I wish you the very best and let us know how it's going.

Happy Shaving!! :bounce017:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Boojum1 and fram773 like this.
  9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I had that problem with the new C&E Sandalwood too. I just couldn't get a later from it that wasn't foamy and it had very little slickness to it. After about a dozen attempts with varying amounts of water in the brush and longer and longer loading times, I gave up on it and used it in the shower. I have a puck of Sienna that was made after the reformulation (no tallow) and it makes a better lather than that newer sandalwood puck did. So I'm not sure if they've reformulated yet again and made their soaps even worse but I don't think I'll be buying any more of them.

imGrunt likes this.
  10. leigh44

leigh44 Member

Yeah I have the same problem with c&e sandalwood. I'm just sticking with D. R. Harris, fantastic shave from the marlborough

11. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity New Member

I have had reasonable success using C&E West Indian Lime by

1) Soaking puck in hot water while I shower 5-10m
    2) Load the brush using lots of water and letting the watery-thin lather run into mug
    3) Add an unscented cream, I use Reals Shaving Co Sensitive and mug lather
    4) Whip it up until a decent consistency

12. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I've had two of the Nomad soaps and I have an old, vintage Mysore Sandlewood and they are among the best performing non-tallow soaps I've ever used along with PdP and MdC. I do nothing special to lather them, I do nothing special to lather any soap I use. Just lucky I guess.

13. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

I shaved with the C&E Moroccan Myrrh this morning - I LOVE the scent of this soap but also have not been able to get a great lather despite my best efforts. Pre-soaking the puck & using my stiffest brush has produced the best results...but I'm still not planning on ever buying another C&E soap unless they change.

imGrunt likes this.
  14. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I also really like this soap. A feel like a true minority. I might have to review it. Yes it is a bit drier than other soaps and the lather is not as thick as say Tabac or Cella but it's an English hard soap and those type of soaps have a different character. I rather like it though.

15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

They were reformulated as the contract manufacturer went into administration and the production was moved to another company...

16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Was the reformulation a good thing or a less good thing?

17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I haven't tried C&E in over a year but if the formulation is still the same as it was then, I'd say less of a good thing. It seems to be a bath soap shaped like a shaving soap puck.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Besides the two Nomads and the Mysore Sandlewood I have a couple of the old Siennas. I have absolutely no complaints about any of them.

19. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

C&E has some great smelling shave soaps. I can't remember which one I bought but I eventually cut it up into smaller pieces and used it to scent my clothes drawers. Now my socks smell fabulous.
    There's too many good soaps that produce a great lather to waste time on crappy ones.

Edit*
    I just went to the C&E website and saw that their Moroccan Myrrh is on sale so I ordered the shave cream. That's the scent that's in my sock drawer so hopefully the cream is a better performer than the soap.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  20. ezcape49

ezcape49 New Member

I have there creams and they are Awesome to me. Love the scent of the Moroccan Myrrh.

IMG_3121 - Copy.JPG

John Beeman likes this.