Mongoose Owners Razor Society (MORS)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 19, 2015.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Douglas Carey and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Shave of the day

Pre- Hot shower, Jumping Juniper shampoo cake from Lush
    Soap/cream- The body shop Maca Root
    Brush- Omega midget mixed brush
    Razor- AlumiGoose
    Blade- Feather Artist Club Professional (3)
    Post- Cold water rinse, Humphreys witch hazel, Lucky tiger bay rum aftershave lotion and Talika Photo-hydra day cream

Just an okey shave. Didn't get that "NICE" feeling, it was more "meh.." Oh well, win some loose some.

I wanna break in the midget brush so I'm gonna try and use it more often =) but didn't get the best lather ever.

I need to stick to the same soap a while while I get to know the AlumiGoose. Keep the software factors to a minimum. We'll see what I do.

Nja.. This shave wasn't very comfy.

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey, Billyfergie and Hodge like this.
  3. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Menthol Mongoose Monday
    [​IMG]
    Mongoose B2 loaded with a Feather Pro Guard.

4. Epicurean

Epicurean Active Member

I'm not a member yet, but it should arrive in less than a week.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. Lfs70

Lfs70 Member

For anyone interested, Maggard Razors will have the Alumigoose up for sale sometime in the next couple days.

Douglas Carey, Deeter and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

I tried a Kai Captain Titan ProTouch blade for the first time today. Two days of growth was the challenge. The first pass was very tuggy, like I was asking too much from this blade. The second and third passes were much better, once the initial mowing was accomplished by the first pass. The blade is not aggressive at all. No sound feedback which I get, and like, from the Feather SP (and full hollow straights). The end result was a DFS, almost BBS, but not quite. And, it took some pressure on my part. With the more aggressive blades, the weight of the Mongoose is enough pressure to get the job done.

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  7. Is that the same as kai captain mild? or is it the one with guards on the blade? and also what blade do you like the most @Deeter ?

8. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

It's the one with the guards on the blade. Different from the Titan Mild. Feather SP is the preferred blade.
    This evening I tried the Kamisori blade. I would call it a cross between the Feather Pro and the Kai Titan Mild. More aggressive than the Kai ProTouch, which I have retired after one shave.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  9. R41

R41 Member

Just used the Mongoose this morning after a long time of using my DEs. I think last time I used it was a month ago. It was a nice change but I don't see the Mongoose to be a daily shaver for me. If I shave with it 3 days in a row which I've done in the past, I'll end up with a lot of irritation. I do only 2 passes plus little touch up. With DEs I can shave everyday and get close and comfortable shaves.
    There is just something about the SE blades that are a bit harsher on the skin. Maybe they remove too much skin. All in all, I enjoy SE shaving whether it's a vintage SE or modern ones, but it's more of a once in a while thing for me. I have to be in the mood for it just like eating a special kind of food.

Douglas Carey, Redfisher and Deeter like this.
  10. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

R41: What blade are you using? That can make a world of difference. The Feather Super Pro would be too aggressive as a daily driver for most people. But the Kai ProTouch or Titan Mild might be a perfect choice.

Douglas Carey and Redfisher like this.
  11. R41

R41 Member

I use Kai milds most of the time. Feather pros are too harsh. I think the problem with SE whether vintage or modern is that there are only a few blades available. With DEs there are hundreds of different blades to mix and match with hundreds of different razors. With SE's you don't really have much choice.

Redfisher and Deeter like this.
  12. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

OK, I used the Kai ProTouch on a one day growth. To be fair, I must say that it did a very good job on it. No tugging as experienced with the two day growth and the result was a very nice, relaxed, BBS. Perhaps two days growth was just too much for a blade that was designed to be non-aggressive.

13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm lucky I guess I tried the captain mild, didn't like it tried the feather pro, liked it. Perfect for me, ordered 200 and that was it.

Douglas Carey, Hodge and Deeter like this.
  14. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

You are lucky. Keep it simple once you find "the one". My OCD keeps me experimenting, both with Goose blades and straight razors. After trying almost all the goose blades, the feather super pro is the winner. The straight razor herd is another story.

15. R41

R41 Member

How often do you guys shave with your Mongoose? If I don't shave with mine on daily basis, I'll get nice shaves but if I use it everyday I always end up with a sore face

16. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

I'll use whatever razor I'm using (including the Mongoose) anywhere from 3 days in a row to a week or so. When I first got the Mongoose I used it nearly every day for about 3 weeks until I could consistently get an irritation-free BBS shave. I'll probably do the same with the Alumigooose when it arrives. On weekends I tend to use wedge blade razors because I have more time to deal with stropping & preparing the blade.

--Bob

17. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I caved: Alumigoose on its way from Maggard. Not sure if you all have noticed, but they have changed the design a little now. The head is rounded off a bit (backside), and the handle is [not sure of the term. What would the more generic term be for octagonal, heptagonal etc?]

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey, Redfisher and Deeter like this.
  18. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I usually keep more razors in my rotation, but as has been said earlier here, it's a mtter of dialing in proper technique for the mongoose in addition to choosing the right blades for your skin and beard. Going through the sampler pack, I found the Titan ProTouch to be best. Feather Super Pro is way too harsh for me - or at least was when I tried it. The regular Feathers work fine now.

Douglas Carey, Deeter and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I use mine quite often during the week. I know that I can get a great shave quickly before work. No drama. It stays in the stand on my counter and tends to be my go to when I'm in a hurry. When I first got it I went 3 weeks using it and stopped only because I had other razors that needed some love.

Douglas Carey, Deeter and clint64 like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I use the Mongoose and/or the AlumiGoose for over 50% of my daily shaves. It's the standard for drama free and quick work morning shaves.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016