Bowl or face lather?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by aelfred.t.allspa, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 Totally Agree!

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I mainly face lather only because I really like the feeling of working the lather only face. I try to bowl lather at least once a week just for the change of pace.

3. My latest video is with the Razorock Plissoft Brush and do both a bowl lather and a face lather if that helps

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I have a newbie question. I've been trying bowl lathering and I've had success building a good lather. What I do next is load the brush and then face lather. Am I over-working the lather by doing this? I seem to get a thicker lather by doing this rather than just brushing it on.

178-bplatoon, simms623 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I do most of the time Best of Both Worlds

simms623, Robyflexx and ob1page like this.
  6. Robyflexx

If it works for you and you're enjoying it...you're doing it right. :)

dangermouse, BamaT, twhite and 2 others like this.
  7. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I intended on bowl lathering when I first started because I thought it was cool. I wasn't able to get it going in a bowl, but things worked great for me face lathering. I've been face lathering ever since that first attempt.

So yeah - face lather it is. I feel like either way you kinda have to face lather at least a little bit - even if you already whipped up a lather in a bowl.

twhite and Robyflexx like this.
  8. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

I either create the lather directly on the puck (in its bowl), or just load brush and lather on face.
    (I don't lather loaded soap in a separate bowl.)

twhite likes this.
  9. Dale Schmidt

Dale Schmidt Active Member

I did some hand lathering while playing around with my soap and brush, likewise I did some bowl lathering as well. I did both a few time to condition my Semogue Bore Brush. I prefer the bowl. I think it is just like whipping up vanilla pudding, except I won't eat my whipped up shave soap. :>)

twhite and Robyflexx like this.
  10. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

I enjoy both face lathering and bowl lathering. Bowl lathering if I have more time. Something about bowl lathering makes it feel more old school. However, I face lather if I am short on time. I usually get the same lather no matter what technique I use. Just depends on personal preference.

178-bplatoon and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Robyflexx

It's funny you should say that cause to me it's the total opposite! Face lathering feels old school and almost primal to me. My hand, a brush and my own face to build the lather against and on! images.png

GatorJoe likes this.
  12. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I have to start in a bowl. I just can't seem to to get a good lather without a bowl. One of these days I'll get a good face lather.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I've been face lathering exclusively since 2011.

dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.
  14. I face lather but I have difficulty getting a good thick lather so I might move to a bowl, seems to dry out very quickly as well

dangermouse likes this.
  15. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Although I'm quite inexperienced, it maybe that there isn't enough moisture, especially as you mentioned the soap dries very quickly. Perhaps you could try soaking your soap, for a few minutes, before you use it and maybe adding more water to the brush as you go. It may help.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've lathered both ways, but prefer face lathering as I feel it's less messy and I have more control over the process.:) I load my brush from the puck(in it's container), then I make my lather in a separate bowl and apply it like face lathering first in circles and ending in painting strokes. :happy088:

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Robyflexx

Recently I tried rubbing the puck on my face :love055:. Highly recommended! :)

18. 178-bplatoon

I've done that also like using a stick, but I just find making the lather in a bowl easier and neater for me.:) Do you wet the puck first or rub it on dry?

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Robyflexx

I wet the puck and the brush first accordingly. :)

20. 178-bplatoon

I will wet my face, soak the brush and then apply the soap to my face without wetting it. Though I've done it with the soap(stick or puck) both wet and dry and both seem to work, just a matter of preference I guess.:)
    My favorite soap now-a-days is Arko stick that I slice/shave into pieces using a potato peeler and then smash into a puck shape in a bowl, so I can bowl lather with it. Nothing like taking something simple and making it more complicated! :happy097:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.