Creams vs Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by The Wizard, Mar 2, 2016.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

From one wizard to another, there is not much difference between cream or soaps. I prefer soaps because I like swirling the brush on a puck of soap, and face lather. It is just a matter of personal preference, I would recomended trying both and see what works best for you.

Redrock and The Wizard like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

If you are in the UK as someone was suggesting above you can get RazorRock Soaps from the Shave Station at a decent price..I use their Tallow Soaps & they are Up there with the Best..I wouldn't say the scents are weak I would say they are medium scented & purposely done so to reduce Risk Of Irritation..:)

Billy..:chores016:

The Wizard likes this.
  3. JesusIsLord

JesusIsLord Active Member

Has anyone tried any shave products (creams, oils, after shaves) from art of shaving? If so what are you thoughts?

Pilotcld and Robyflexx like this.
  4. shoe13950

shoe13950 Well-Known Member

I started with a TOBS sandalwood cream. Liked it and haven't been as adventurous in this regard as I have in trying out different razors. That said, I have used a sampler pack of AOS sandalwood preshave oil, cream, and balm. I liked them a lot for the scent provided during the shave. The scent does not linger or have staying power in my opinion, which is what I prefer. I like to have the option of using cologne without worrying of conflicting or too much scent. I find TOBS cream to be acceptable in this regard as well, though the TOBS sandalwood smell is stronger during the shave and I would say overall less "woodsy" than the AOS. AOS cream is more expensive than the TOBS cream (though it isn't inexpensive by certain standards either), but I don't believe you will find the AOS cream repelling, whereby you would find it unusable or a waste of money. It may not end up being your favorite since these things are subjective, but it lathers quickly and nicely and provides a slick shave. My wife liked the AOS scent as well, so I have a tub waiting in the cabinet that I received as a gift.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome!
    Outstanding products, but you pay through the nose. I've purchased their soaps and preshave oils only because I was given Art of Shaving gift cards. There are TONS of other products out there just as good for MUCH less.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs011:

7. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

As I usually point out when someone asks this. Art of Shaving is just high end Proctor & Gamble. As @swarden said, it is overpriced and overrated in my opinion. You can do better for less money.

8. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I find the old phrase variety is the spice of life I think I spend more time deciding what brush to use what cream to use what soap to use what razor to use what blade to use then I do shaving. If I decide on a cream I'll use a badger or synthetic if I decide to use a soap I usually like the boar brushes better. And I usually bowl lather and face lather at the same time I enjoy both so I do both.

9. JesusIsLord

JesusIsLord Active Member

Thank you all so much. Very helpful. I have maybe 10 shaves so far so I'm extremely new and very excited to learn. Tried merker blades and liked them, then tried feather and wow I loved those. I have a shark chrome in now and will try in the morning. Back to shave creams,
    Any other recommendations?

Double Edge Dougy and ob1page like this.
  10. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I'm dying to try Taylor of old Bond Street Sandalwood cream and if you want a really nice cream cheap go to Walmart and get the Nivea for sensitive skin in the tube very nice stuff

11. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

If you like TOBS creams and like woody smells I highly recommend their Cedarwood. It doesn't smell as soapy as the Sandalwood but has a lovely pine scent. I find it preferable to the Sandalwood as the scent isn't as toxic and is more gentle.

12. shoe13950

shoe13950 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

13. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

I'm not one for flowery or fruity smells and their almond (although I haven't tried it) may smell like marzipan. I prefer woody and musky smells. TOBS do ones called Eaton College, Jermyn Street, St James Luxury and Mr Taylors which I'm very keen to try.

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yep, me too. I especially like the Indian Shave Creams. They tend to be slicker and have a heavier scent.

15. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Try Kiss my Face shaving creams. They are available in a pump, 11 oz for under $10 at various retailers, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Amazon. One pump into a bowl or directly on your brush will give you more than enough lather. I have the mint and really enjoy the scent and it protects well.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  16. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

I'll point out that shaving creams are composed of soap - and (more) water.
    In terms of effectiveness, I see little-to-no difference between my top hard soaps and my top creams.
    I enjoy both formats, although I find creams to be (generally) simpler to lather.

Regarding TOBS Sandalwood cream, I find the scent a bit artificial and too intense, and much prefer the scent of the Jermyn Street Collection cream (and the scent of TOBS Sandalwood Herbal puck), personally.

17. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

You can get samples of Catie's, RazoRock XXX and TOBS from shavedash.com (out of N.Ireland), if you want to try without buying the full thing. They also have plenty of other samples (most of which you cannot get elsewhere). Including Fitjar, btw, which is one of two shaving products coming out of my home country (also recommended!). Connaughtshaving.com (England-based) also provides samples - try Meissner Tremonia!

As for differences between products: once you know how to lather up in general, and dial in the correct amount of water needed for any particular soap or cream, I think you'll find that there's not that much of a difference. You'll be able to get good shaves with most products (with some variance, of course, and excluding the most shitty ones, and perhaps staying away from certain others if you have sensitive skin or allergies).

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    The Wizard likes this.
  18. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

as for brushes i use bristle for hard soaps as is is stiffer and badger for creams.as for bristle for creams i find it not lather very vell.

The Wizard likes this.
  19. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm currently using a pure badger and having tried a soap puck I've decided I like creams better so I'm sticking with creams with badger. Considering buying a super or a silvertip but not sure whether the extra softness is worth paying 3 times as much.

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I will be very much in the minority here, but I would place both of those soaps in my second tier category, and certainly be no better than TOBS in terms of shave quality.

They both have great scents, and if you were in the US/Canada, I would say go for it. I would not recommend either if it was gonna be a cost burden for shipping.

Just my two cents..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk