Gillette Slim Adjustable after Muhle R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Labarum, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Labarum

Labarum New Member

I have been using and R41 (2013) for a couple of months now after using a Merkur C39 Slant exclusively with Feather blades for almost ten years.

As an experiment I dropped a new Feather into a Slim Adjustable I have not used in those ten years, set it to 8 and made a start on 2.5 day's growth. After a single stroke said to myself "This is a toy" and upped to 9.

I got an OK shave with three passes and a lot of buffing especially around my troublesome area. (The right heel of my jaw.) I got a pleasantly close shave - about as good as the Slant but with more effort and therefore a little more irritation as judged by my use of an alum block. It was nowhere near as close or as effortless as the R41+ Feather using two passes (with and across) and some modest touching up.

I will put the vintage Gillette away again. I used it effortlessly even though the handle is shorter and lighter than I prefer. I did like the secure grip afforded by the deep grooving of the handle, but I will not be using it again any time soon. My wirely white whiskers need a more robust razor.

Half an hour on, and my face is still mildly complaining though the shave is very close and nick free.

Comments?

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The more experienced I get with a DE, the more regard I hold for the R41. I've been away from my R41 for a couple of weeks and need to get back to it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have recently done a similar thing but enjoyed the result a bit more than you did. Since my DE89 decided to come unplated, I now look at my R41 askance because it is so close. I may just force myself to get good with my Slim (set to 7, a very mild 7 compared to the beastlyness of the R41) simply because it won't lose plating.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I really like the muhle r41 but my face can not take 6 daily shaves a week with it I now save it for days I skipped shaving a day or so.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

A 14-30 day focus will cure that. You'll definitely learn what no pressure means.

battle.munky, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I've used it for 4 or 5 months I get a build up of irritation I do not get from the futur or mergress I may try again this summer when it won't matter if I have face rash for a few days and see if I can remaster it. Currently I get no irritation if I just use it out of the blue but if I use it daily for a while that is where it happens the irritation and razor hurn on my neck

AGHisBBS likes this.