What do you think about the oneblade razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ceferguson, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great article.
    $300. Too much for me.

3. Ceferguson

I'm reading on the shave nook people are really praising the razor but many are saying they get a DFS with no irritation I do that with a futur or mergress and many others. I was just curious if anyone here has been using one for some time. I am reading the blades don't last long and you can only get them from one place I don't know how accurate this is.

4. mantic

mantic U TOOB

The general agreement is the blades don't last as long as DE's. I can get 3 shaves out of a blade. There is only one "official" source for the Feather single edge blades in the US but they are readily available on ebay and from UK sites. I've also read that some have had success with de-spined GEM blades but I have not tried it myself.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And again, :signs011:

7. Ceferguson

That's what was reading on other forums but some of there were some rough conversations on both sides. I'm not interested in signing up for a monthly supply of blades but I wanted to know how well it shaved with the pivoting head I thought that was innovating for a non cartridge razor

Carbide Mike and Billyfergie like this.
  8. mantic

mantic U TOOB

As a matter of fact I'm working on a video for my Youtube channel about shaving with the OneBlade. :) I hope to have it out in a couple weeks.

9. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

+4... :signs011:

10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Half that price is too much.

11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It is a beautiful razor but Feather blade doesn't work in my Valet worth a darn so it can't be that much better in a $300 razor....

BeShaved, Billyfergie and Ceferguson like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I really like mine
    I did buy it when it was discounted last year so it ended up being about $190 shipped.

Here's my rather photo heavy unboxing thread :)

I get, as @mantic three - maybe four shaves out of a blade and haven't tried de-spined GEMs in it.

I think the razor gets some rather unfair comments on many forums because of the high price point - and the vast majority from people that have never tried it.
    I would say that if I could only keep two SE razors it would be my Schick Type O - and the OneBlade. Not for monetary value but because they really are that good [to me].

The above is of course all highly subjective and to be honest I don't think I would have bought one at the regular price - but very happy I did at the discounted one :)

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Spud, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  13. Ceferguson

Yes my face does not take feathers very well either, funny the best blades for my face has been cheap lord blades, including racers and sharks

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm not knocking Feather blades in general the artist club blades are perfection in my Mongoose, the vote isn't in yet on the DE blades but they work pretty well in my ASD2. The Feather SE blade is just not there for me, compared to say a GEM Personna it's like a paint scraper. I'm only using it in a Valet but still....

15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The OneBlade Razor..:p
    [​IMG] Three Pass Shaving Routine...:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Argan Oil
    OneBlade Razor
    Feather SE Blade
    Mason Pearson Pure Badger
    French Monsovan Bol Tallow soap
    Thayers Original Witch Hazel

I just had the Most Comfortable All Over BBS Dolphin Smooth Shave with the OneBlade Today..The Feather Blade performs very well in this Razor..Its obvious to a Blind Man that the OneBlade has been designed around the Feather Blade..No Bones About it..I loaded a Gem blade to begin with but it doesn't click into place & when I had a shave there was clear movement with my barbed wire Whiskers..I wasn't happy with that to say the least..I suspected this would happen when I loaded it because the Gem Blade has cut outs on the side & it just doesn't get locked in the way the designers intended..:p

Moreover..The Feather blade even when locked down has a slight bit of play..Very small amount but its there..The blade is not rigidly held in place..I don't think it affects the shave any because of the Pivoting or Floating Head Design..The OneBlade looks Aesthetically pleasing to the eye & looks well constructed..I wont mention the Packaging because I don't bother with that Kinda Malarkey..Looks like an Indian Squaw could have perhaps made it though..;)

I was immediately struck by how Mild the OneBlade is..Its very Mild Indeed..The Feather blade makes up for this though because its a very sharp blade..On my First WTG Pass it reduced my 2 days of Whiskers with less efficiency than a Gem Featherweight for sure..Very comfortable though..It came to more to its own on my 2nd XTG Pass & Subsequent ATG pass & performed very well especially on the neck area..A Monkey would find it hard to get razor burn or any irritation with this razor..It is as forgiving as a Modern High End Cartridge System for Sure..This Razor is clearly designed to use a sort of even pressure on the Floating Head..Not any forward pressure but even pressure..I put an elastic band around the pivoting arm to test this & it just wouldn't remove a Darn Whisker..Its so Darn Mild..If you lock up a Modern Cart razor it wont shave worth a darn either as they are designed to use some pressure as well.:D

So what can I say..The OneBlade is one of the most comfortable SEs I have ever used & it offered me an All Over BBS result..Here comes the Paradox..I didn't find the OneBlade Comfortable to use..That is to say this thing is like a Mediaeval Design the way it handles during the shave..The Head is Very Clunky & Feels Very Loose Pivoting Back & Forth..Its reminded me of a Jack in the Box on a Spring..The Head can skim over your face when the angle isn't Spot On..That's not a problem once the penny drops of course but a preverbal pain in the Ass nevertheless..The design feels very Primitive & Arcane..I found it quite an Awkward & Uncomfortable Razor to Use..There lays the Paradox..It offers a very comfortable shave but I found it very uncomfortable to use..:)

The OneBlade & the Feather Combo are just so forgiving..The End Result BBS for me was Akin to a Cartridge Kinda Depth & Finish..Its a shallow BBS Result & that's Fine & Dandy of Course but its a lot less Comfortable to Shave with than a Top End Cart..Its a Mediaeval Instrument by Comparison..:D

That's my First Impressions of the OneBlade..:angelic007:

Billy...:chores016:

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

TL;DR version: "You're very cute for a fat chick"

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG][​IMG] Three Pass Shaving Routine...:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Argan Oil
    OneBlade Razor
    Feather SE Blade New
    Hans Baier Silver Tip Badger
    Haslinger Tallow soap
    Thayers Original Witch Hazel

I had my 2nd shave with the OneBlade Razor tonight with a New Feather blade..As far as I am concerned these blades are good for one good shave & that's it..I can actually feel them getting blunter towards the end of a shave..I wanted to keep an open mind here & give the OneBlade Razor the benefit of the Doubt..As they say in Scotland.."Gee the Wee Boy another Chance for Hells Sake"..I had a different Mind Set this Time because I had a better Idea of what the OneBlade is all about..I shaved with Cartridge Systems for most of my Life & Yes I have always been a Wet Shaver..There is nothing wrong with Cartridge Razors..I aint No Razor Snob that's for Sure..;)

During my 1st WTG & 2nd XTG Pass I was kinda thinking that I may have been a tad hard on the OneBlade Razor..I was using it with the Cartridge Razor Mind Set..As far as I am concerned the OneBlade is essentially a Stainless Heavy Weight Cardridge Razor Design albeit with a Single Edge Blade..I had two days of whiskers to cut down & after my 1st & 2nd Rinse between passes I wasn't that impressed with the reduction compared to what I remember getting with a Modern Cart Even..:p

During my 3rd ATG Pass the OneBlade was starting to annoy me because it was starting to Skate about my face because it was getting smoother..There is just far too much Smooth Surface stainless Steel on your face with this razor for me..If you look at the above photo you can see it has a huge smooth comb surface area..In addition to that it has quite a Large Smooth Face that goes upwards at quite a steep angle..I looked at this design & it became immediately clear to me that at least in part this is to clear those quite protruding hook type blade stops that would otherwise offer your Coupon a Very Nasty Time Indeed..I have other SE Razors like the Gem OCMM & Clog Pruf that have a large surface area on the skin but not at the OneBlades Steep Angle of Attack & they work on a different principle of No Pressure any roads & far more Aggressive & Efficient to Boot..The OCMM was introduced on 1929/1930 by the Way..:D

I decided to pull out that Gillette Mach 3 you see in the top photo that I had laying around for a couple of years..I finished off my 3rd ATG Pass with this Deposable Piece of Plastic & ended up with a Lovely All Over Dolphin Smooth BBS Result..Not only that..The Gillette didn't clunk, didn't skate & it was far more Efficient, Manoeuvrable & More Comfortable in the Hand than the OneBlade & I mean by a Longshot..Dont get me wrong these Mach 3 Types are not my Cup of Tea but for bye the fact that its made of cheap plastic is sure Tasted a Darn Site Sweeter to use than the OneBlade..;)

This leads me back to my last shave..The design of the Oneblade feels very Primitive & Arcane..I find it quite an Awkward & Uncomfortable Razor to Use..The Paradox here of course is that the OneBlade in my humble opinion is an Over Complicated Design but at the same time feels very Primitive & Arcane..To sum up then the OneBlade in My Eyes is an Over Complicated Design..Some people might like that of course but for me personally the Simplest is the Highest..:)

Thank you @@Nico1970 for giving me the Opportunity to shave with your OneBlade Razor because I wouldn't otherwise have had the chance to shave with one.. I will Pass it on to the next person on the list either Tomorrow or Saturday..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks for your input.

19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

At $300 for a razor is a bit much for my pocketbook. My personal opinion is that a Gem Micromatic or a Ever Ready 1910 for $3 to $12 will give just as good a shave, with the Gem blade lasting for 6-7 shaves and 10 very available blades per pack will cost $5.29 at Walgreens.
    At my age, I guess I'm a sceptic about new razors being sold at crazy $300 prices. Years ago I walked out of the drug store with a Gillette Slim with extra blades, soap, brush, and a Coke for under $6. Mom supplied the mug.

20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've been using the OB for 4 months now and really like it. Depending on the the direction I shave and the amount of pressure I use, I can get a mild shave or an aggressive shave. I use the FHS blades exlusively. I can get 3-4 shaves per blade but toss them after 2 shaves now as I get better shaves that way.