Newbie Soap Puck Question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by som, Mar 21, 2016.

1. som

som Well-Known Member

When I took the plunge to start wet shaving, I started with a Proraso Green tub (which is the only soap I've used so far), partially based on reviews, and partially based on the fact that it is a "self contained" soap. I'd like to try some different soaps that come in puck form but (and here comes the newbie question): what do I *DO* with them?

I assume the puck needs to be placed in a mug or bowl or something to lather, right? Then what? I can't just "put the lid on" like I do with the Proraso. Do folks store the puck in baggies, or is there a universally accepted container or something? I've poked around a bit and haven't really found the answer to this most basic of questions!

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have some mugs, some deli cups, some pucks come in a container. I also don't seal up most of my soap pucks with a lid or in baggies or anything. They are very dry to start unlike Proraso's softer soap. I let mine dry back out in the cabinet in between uses. The only soaps I keep moist are Williams and MWF. Empty Shaving cream tubs work great as well and sometimes can be had for free.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

These work great.
    image.jpeg
    And can be found HERE

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Spyder and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I use Ball canning small jars, they are a little larger than a puck but work great. I got mine at Wal-Mart, 4 of them for $5. They look like this:
    [​IMG]

6. som

som Well-Known Member

Thanks, those look great!

I assume that once I have puck nestled comfortably in one of those attractive jars, I would just use it like I do the Proraso, and load my brush up right in the jar.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I get small glass bowls, 3 for a buck at the Dollar store. Each puck in its own bowl, each bowl in a ziploc bag.
    I have near 40 soaps in rotation, the bag keeps the dust out between uses.

Douglas Carey, Spyder and ob1page like this.
  8. Lfs70

Lfs70 Member

I buy shallow mugs from thrift stores for my hard pucks, something with a handle preferably.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  9. samarijack

samarijack Active Member

Thanks validating I'm not crazy. I was thinking of doing this as I grow my collection.

swarden43 likes this.
  10. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

A bit more for these (11.7 USD for four I believe) - see my thread a few notches below yours in the same sub forum. There's a link to eBay there.

Rust resistant (necessary) and the wide opening allows for better loading relative to smaller containers (advantage).

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Cheapest storage container that works well for me Ziploc small plastic containers. They are easy to find, inexpensive, stackable and work very well. After I load my brush from the puck container I then use a dedicated lather bowl(SS bowl I found on ebay, it's the same dimensions as the VDH ceramic bowl)) to make my lather.:happy088:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. PaPa K

PaPa K Active Member

I keep my daily puck in a ceramic mug, it get drained but not covered. The others that are used as alternates or special occasions are kept in the small ziplock containers with lids after they dry out.

13. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

I keep various pucks in plastic bowls from the Dollar Tree. They have a 3 pack that is the size of a salsa bowl with lids for a $1.00.

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I put my soap puck in a shaving mug. You can see pictures of the mug in this thread. My particular mug has a brush holder on it. Some mugs do, but most I have seen do not. I use pucks of soap one at a time until they are finished, and so don't need to keep them anywhere but in the mug.

15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

All good ideas. It really doesn't matter, as long as it keeps the soap from making a mess and allows you to load your brush easily. I hang onto the plastic tubs from soaps and creams to reuse with refill pucks. I've found that empty Nivea Creme tubs work well too. Ikea sells a variety of tins, you can use mugs (your choice whether to cover them) plastic ziploc containers, glass anchor hocking bowls with lids, etc.

16. som

som Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the ideas and input. I guess I could have thought harder and figured it out myself: If the soap doesn't come with a container.....PROVIDE YOUR OWN CONTAINER. Duh!

Halvor, Robyflexx and White731 like this.