Haircuts

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by david of central florida, Mar 26, 2016.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Every time I get a haircut, I must try to get the same person or try and remember the name and or peticulars of the last successful cut.
    If i use the same person, i either have to waitor call ahead.
    If i use someone new, i have to explain what i want done.
    This is what i can never remember. A 1 guard fade? A two fade with razor edges?
    Is there am easy way to name your haircut?

2. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I used to have the exact same problem but now I just buzz my own hair with a #2 guard every other weekend and my wife tidies up the back.

gorgo2, RyX and PaPa K like this.
  3. PaPa K

PaPa K Active Member

There are two ladies at the shop I frequent. The owner always knows what I want, the other gal can get it done if I tell her the numbers of the guards used on the clipper (3 and 5)and taper the back. The quality is always great with the owner and good with her back up barber.

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My barber is my wife (a cosmetologist). I get whatever she gives me and I like it, or else. I don't remember the names of cuts, but maybe this will help.[​IMG]

BamaT, InspiringK and Spyder like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I always get the same guy. How do I make sure this happens? Before I pay for the haircut he just gave me, I make my next appointment with him four weeks out. He's been cutting my hair for so long I just sit in the chair and let Don do his thing.

BamaT, Spyder, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  6. david of central florida

I did this for a
    Long time, but they moveda a couple years ago. Now im floating around looking for a new regular.

Spyder likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

For even the most skilled barber/stylist, a good, detailed picture of what you want goes much further than trying to describe it. Doubly so if you don't know the secret hair-cutter lingo. So, maybe just get someone to take a couple headshots after your next cut and save them on your phone for your next appointment.

Paul Turner and wristwatchb like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just call mine a high and tight, and leave enough to kind of comb over on the top (leave the knuckles). This is my haircut after about a week.
    bunny_v3_09.JPG

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Great idea! I will give this a try.

1.png

twhite, Weeper Warrior, BamaT and 5 others like this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This, and that.

Spyder likes this.
  11. richgem

Hmmm... well, you probably won't need a picture for that. But, in any case, save yourself $20+ and just shove your finger into the electrical outlet. Might want to warn the neighbors about a possible brown out just prior.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    wristwatchb, twhite, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

The wife has cut my hair for the past ten years or so.
    I have two styles I can choose from.....1/4" or 1/8" and she obliges :D

twhite, BamaT, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

if you have any pets do they(or it)supervise???

Spyder and Hodge like this.
  14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Two cats, two dogs. The one dog being a Golden Retreiver who is like velcro......she's watching me type this actually....:)

twhite and ob1page like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Must be tough on your wife as she does the cut for you, eh? My family had a Golden as I was in my teens....great breed!!!

BamaT likes this.
  16. david of central florida

For prosperity sake i got a number 1 fade, with my edges razor cut. Scissor cut on top with enough that a dab of gel holds it back. Two tram lines behind the ear, just to match my six year old. Hey grampa can be hip like dat too.

wristwatchb, Drygulch and Slow Joe like this.
  17. richgem

Um.... no. Just no. :p :D

18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Ask your regular guy how he* would reference your preferred cut.

*edit: or she. Pardon me assuming.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    BamaT and MarshalArtist like this.
  19. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

My hair started retreating when I was 16-17 and I didn't want the same hairstyle as my dad (bird nest with one egg), so I started cutting it myself and have been doing so for the last 20 years. A 2mm haircut with a trimmer takes 5-10 minutes every Friday and I'm on my third hair trimmer so far

gorgo2, Slow Joe and GatorJoe like this.
  20. Harold CY

Harold CY Member

I cut my own hair, and have for years. Once you get the hang of it it's fairly easy. Just like with wet shaving, there is definitely some technique involved

gorgo2 and GatorJoe like this.