Haircuts

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by david of central florida, Mar 26, 2016.

1. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I'd love to pull this off eventually.

So far it hasn't worked and just ended up with me wasting a lot of time and getting pretty frustrated trying to do it myself. In the end it looks uneven and bad and I realize I need to go see a pro. Then I get to tell the barber "yeah, sorry, my wife tried cutting my hair... she means well":eatdrink047:

BamaT, gorgo2 and Harold CY like this.
  2. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I go to a barber shop that does a pretty good job. All the guys there can give a good haircut but the owner is the best. They take their time, use hot lather, a shavette to clean up the edges and finish with a hot towel.
    I've always gotten a good cut there except the last time. The cut was good but they gave me horrible razor burn on the back of my neck. It took 3 days to calm down. I may go back again but I've been researching new barbers, especially ones who give straight razor shaves.

3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

If I can afford it then I gravel into the big city and go to the Barbers. He is a great barber. I usually just show him a photo of what I want and he always gives me a perfect haircut. Its also the only brick and mortar wet shaving store around. That combined with the luxurious decor makes the whole trip a great experience.
    Lacking funds then I go to the cheaper local hairdresser which is.....ok, I guess.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Joe when you write, you remind me of Hemmingway. Thank you

Slow Joe likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Get a Flowbee :lyrtuy5:

wristwatchb, twhite, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I visit an old shop with an all male crew of three barbers, did I mention they're all men, and reasonable prices. I take the "next chair" when called and get very good haircuts regardless of the barber. Each of the barbers has a slightly technique but the results are the same, a "medium" haircut; no high sidewalls, tapered back, no comb-overs (I'm getting bald on top) and no cowlicks.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I was lucky enough to find a female stylist who learned my hair and really began to cut it well. Then she abruptly left that shop and I didn't know where she went. The shop was pretty mum about it. I transferred to another stylist who wasn't as good. Then about a year later she left. I had one haircut with yet another stylist and decided to stop going to that salon.

I searched around and found a new place to visit. But lo and behold - turns out she is friends with my original stylist! She had moved about three doors down to a new place. She was just 100 yards from the first shop and I didn't know it! So I've returned to her and am quite glad.

As far as what to call it I say "keep the same shape but go pretty short." She knows what to do with it by now.

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I used to just bald every 10 days or so with a Wahl and no guard. It was all I had the skills for. SWMBO finally convinced me I looked like some sort of neo nazi Idahoan militia member. She was especially annoyed because I have a good head of hair.
    I'm not gonna lie, I really enjoyed the convenience of a shorn head. I'm a hit with SWMBO and her friends now though.

10. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thank you for such a compliment.

11. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I used the same barber for over 25 years until he retired about 3 years ago. I am now using a barbershop that has 3 barbers on duty most of the time. I've had my hair cut about the same way for a long time. I just go in and whoever is available is who I let cut my hair. They all cut my hair about the same way with a couple of small differences that are not anything to worry about. I just tell them, "a regular hair cut please." Always, Gene

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I haven't paid for a haircut in close to a year now, but I do so before important functions as they arise. Otherwise, I just use my handy dandy Playtex adjustable every few weeks and occasionally break out the Wahl. So far, so good. Thinning hair makes me realize it really doesn't matter anymore.

BamaT likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The good old regular haircut.
    [​IMG]

wristwatchb, Drygulch and gorgo2 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Now those are haircuts you can set your watch to.

wristwatchb likes this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

For many years I went to various salons, never really happy with the cuts. Then I found a female stylist at a local salon that did a pretty good job most of the time. It didn't hurt that her last name was Fox, and was appropriately named! But she went on maternity leave so I discovered there was a local barber shop with a male and female barber. They did a really good job. When my old stylist came back, she is doing so on a more limited basis, so I've stuck with the barbers. Either one does a good job, although the female really is slightly better. She used to work at a high end barber shop in Birmingham that caters to lawyers, etc. but got tired of driving across town. They still shave the back of your neck and around the ears, which the stylist didn't do. Also, as soon as you walk into their hole in the wall shop, you are greeted with the smell of Pinaud Clubman! I'm happy!

16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

What's old is new.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I've been using the same female stylist for over 20 years. She just sold her business and has partnered with another stylist. New location a little closer to me, so all is good. I keep my hair long just over the ears.

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My wife said I looked like a pissed off biker when I kept my head shaved, but it sure was easier. Happy wife, happy wife. I keep hair now

BamaT, Omaney and ob1page like this.
  19. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I always use the same guy but in a pinch if he's not available I ask for a mid and tight fade to skin and a little off the top

20. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

My little bro used to just shave his head with an electric clippers. But he grew the top out to like two or three inches long and still shaved the sides to undercut it. Looks pretty cool on him. He has a long beard and tats. I couldn't pull it off.

BamaT likes this.