Rockwell - adjustable razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 28, 2016.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm a 2 shaves and bin. Comfort over frugal.

45auto, ObiDon, Ahh Oui and 1 other person like this.
  2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Personna blades last about 3 shaves which means 2 blades/week. For me it's quite right to say you'll use 100 blades in two years, more or less, since there are days when I don't shave like weekends or days when I feel too lazy for it.

They have more than 800 backers(me included) in less than 24h. That's something.

Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Nice looking concept razor, but my Fatboy and Slim will still be a shaving away and all pretenders will be long gone.

ObiDon, Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I confess to being really conflicted about the Rockwell T. If I could afford it, part of me would really like one, but the other part would probably put the money toward a replace of my Slim.

Still, I have to say that I'm please to see someone build a razor like this. I was starting to think we had lost the knowhow somewhere.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see a 5 hour funding on this. There's a lot of interest and interesting products coming out for the DE shaver. I jumped on the $79 early bird and then read zinc and just as quickly withdrew. Then I got slapped by the logical angel on my shoulder. I'm not buying one of these. I've sold off all but one adjustable razor (birth year) I've ever owned.

Jorvaljr, Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

BTW, quick question...

Can we safely assume that all of Gillette's patents covering the Fatboy/Slim/SuperAdjustable have expired?

45auto, whiteboy_cannon and Jayaruh like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Oh, most definitely, comfort first! Thus the reason I go 5 shaves only when I know I could get a couple more. But that's me.

tuxxdk, Jorvaljr, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Those patents are only good for 20 years. It was one of the reasons Gillette switched to the cartridge system.
    Amen.
    Don't you know? They switched over to full brass construction, probably based on Reddit, or this thread, or comments in the Kickstarter. I don't know why they thought zinc would ever fly with traditional wet shavers who know of zinc's shortcomings.

Now if we could just get Pheonix Artisan Accoutrements to switch the DOC over to full brass and up the price ten bucks, we'd have a real razor for the ages.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Yes. I did get that they decided upon brass. It's the whole adjustables thing. I just don't use them.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    MattCB, KLF, Jayaruh and 1 other person like this.
  11. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Was the weight of the razor given in the video? I didn't see it listed on the kickstarter page. Just curious.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. nunhgrader

nunhgrader Member

Yep - already purchased! I am in like Flynn and couldn't be happier. I missed the initial notice by email but, got in early! My Rockwell is one of my top three go to razors in rotation!

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It wasn't. And even if it was, that would have been based on zinc internals. I imagine switching to brass will change the weight by a gram or two.
    Edit: was looking at the wrong video.

blashe and Robyflexx like this.
  14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

On the review video the guy said was around 103grams I think, so maybe with the coated brass internals will push to 110-115 grams tops?

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Hardly. A cubic meter of cast brass weighs between 8,400 and 8,700 kg. The same thing in zinc weighs 7,135 kg. For as small a part as the internals, the weight might be pushed up to 105 grams.

On an unrelated note, I'm trying to get the razor in nickel plate (at least as an option) rather than chrome on the Kickstarter comments section. Nickel has a warmer finish, and I think it will look better and hold up better over the years than chrome in an indoor environment.

Concerns over nickel allergies apply equally to chrome, as the chrome plate will have to be plated over nickel anyways.

ObiDon and Robyflexx like this.
  16. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Don't stop there. Can you say Rhodium !! :rofl:

I agree nickel is a preferred look over the chrome. Warm being the opportune word.

Robyflexx and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I looked at the comments, and while I was typing Gareth responded with (paraphrasing) plating options being feasible as long as enough people requested a certain plating.

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Actually I watched the video again and it seems that the razor weights at 109 grams, so we can assume with brass internals will be around 110-111 grams?

As far as the plating goes I'm not too crazy about chrome one, way to shiny and nickel plated would probably be better, question is which one is more durable? I mean I know Rhodium should be the top notch, but I don't think we can expect for them to offer Rhodium plating in the same price category as chromed. I honestly don't know what would be better to say in the comment section, maybe I should just type that I would like to see more plating options offered considering its 2nd day and they reached $90.000+ pledges. Don't hurt to have more options and let them decide which options they want to include within the pledge price, agree? I think having options is better.

It kills me to have to demand something again because when the KS started I was the only one who was raving about the Zink internals and I got lot of the attention from a lot of people so I guess Rockwell got bombed with messages regarding that issue, and now if I start demanding for plating options they might go and say " Look at this dude, he don't know when to quit".....LOL

tuxxdk, BeShaved, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You were hardly the only one who complained about the zinc, or the first one to bring it up. Don't fret that. Absolutely let plating preferences be known, and feel free to mention that it is more than fair to offer coating price levels. He already said they are open to any and all suggestions, they just need enough commitment for each plating to make it feasible. Kudos to @PLANofMAN for getting the ball rolling on that end.

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.