Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Troy your site is very nice, I like the layout and your pictures look great. It's easy to read too. :)

2. Segafan#1

Segafan#1 Well-Known Member

I can't even get in the blackbirds list and I had mine for over a month now :(

Robyflexx, BeShaved and ShaneS like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was going to do it, but I forgot. :(

4. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

That's a great blog, Troy!

ShaneS, Troy M and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Segafan#1

All good bro lol... I'm sure you're busy saw the dog picture your getting married gratz sir :D

PLANofMAN, BeShaved and ShaneS like this.
  6. Segafan#1

Don't play with the blackbird if you been drinking lol..... Ran my thumb down the head with a blade in it ( didn't think there was ) lol.... Let's just say there was ....might be a scar.

ShaneS likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  8. bcannon87

bcannon87 Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to get my hands on one of these when the budget permits.

ShaneS likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Just don't get your hands too much "on one of these." You'll wind up with a nice little momento of the occasion, as @Segafan#1 can testify. ;)

I do love both of my Blackbirds, and shave with them a couple times a week.

Segafan#1, ShaneS and Robyflexx like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

When I have been drinking, I pretty much leave the razors alone, and just play with my brushes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459164576.665892.jpg

11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

BeShaved likes this.
  12. bcannon87

bcannon87 Well-Known Member

Lol!!

BeShaved, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  13. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I like the worn look of the black oxide. Did you do that yourself?

BeShaved and ShaneS like this.
  14. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yup. A couple strokes with some 800 grit. Not a finish for every day, but I really like it as an option.

BeShaved likes this.
  15. nupe10123

nupe10123 Member

This is my first post, I actually didn't even know this site existed until looking up what kind of blade to use in the blackbird (been using Astra and need to replace soon). Anyway, I have 2 BB (1 black oxide the other 'regular'? - both long handles). I've been using almost exclusively since I received from the kick starter batch. I love this razor! Very different than feather as-d2 (which I use with feather blades). I considered using the feathers in the BB but thought that with the BB I 'feel' the blade more and didn't want to use a feather in it. I also saw a video where the gentleman doing the review of the razor recommended against a feather (at least a new one in the BB).

So, for some of you who have used multiple blades, what have you found to work best for you and why? I don't like to play mix and match games too much between razor and blade, so my instinct is just to keep with the Astra blades, but was wondering if there is something that really just better for the BB. As a side note, a friend of mine who saw my black oxide asked me if there are any black DE blades so the whole thing could be 'blacked-out', I have a black handled brush on a black holder with black bowl and my shave cream (AOS) is in a mostly black container, so to complete the look I figured I'd try a black blade if one actually existed.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this site and look forward to hearing other's thoughts about these razors. I've been wet shaving for over 20 years and never knew there was a community so really happy I found this place!

16. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

I know this has been expressed before but I had such a great shave tonight...

Many posts and comments that describe the Black Oxide Birds as being a bit difficult, draggy, edgy etc. and I have to wonder if these shavers haven't given their technique enough time to accommodate the design of the head. Tonight I shaved with my B.O. Bird (with Polsilver blade) and hardly felt the razor at all, only smooth and efficient cutting of whiskers resulting in an awesomely smooth shave without any irritation.

I'm sure the rounded off version of the new Black Oxide will be an excellent shaver, but I'd miss the defined geometry of the original design.

Maybe I like the challenge of using an instrument that has a dark side, but put me in the camp that finds no issues with the original, stunning design.

Another view of today's shave:
    SOTD Apr 4 2016_2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    BeShaved, JR Reyes, obturador and 4 others like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I like Ladas and Astra blades in the Blackbird, though I've yet to get a bad shave with any Russian blade in a Blackbird. Lots of people like Voskhod blades in the BB when they are just starting out with it.

As for a black blade, Treet Black Beauties are the only ones I know of, though those are carbon blades, and require a bit more care than stainless blades. They are prone to rusting, for one.

Italian Barber sells them for $12.99 for 200 blades, so they are pretty cost effective, even if you only get one or two shaves per blade.

http://www.italianbarber.com/collec...treet-black-double-edge-blades-20-packs-of-10
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  18. ssultan

ssultan Well-Known Member

I tried the Astra and a couple of Gillette variants (yellow & green) and settled on the Feather as being my blade of choice in the BB. Super smooth and effortless, though it only lasts about 2 shaves.

RaZorBurn123 and ShaneS like this.
  19. nupe10123

nupe10123 Member

Thanks for the reply and reference to Treet. The price is right, but I think having carbon blades would annoy me a bit. I recall a friend who used carbon blades and in order to get multiple uses he took them out after each shave, dried them, and then used mineral oil or something on them - and then still experienced rust sometimes. I'm too lazy for that, my preference is to load a blade, use it 3-5 shaves, then swap out. But I really appreciate the tip.

RaZorBurn123 and ShaneS like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I rarely use carbons for that same reason, but if you want black blades, it's the only option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.