Travel strops?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PalmettoB, Jun 23, 2008.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I think this one has come up before, but time to trot it out again...

What kinds of strops do you use when traveling? Does a small paddle strop work best? I would love to just take my regular 2 1/2 hanging strop, but I hate to risk creasing it! Anybody have some good suggestions for travel?

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I have a Tony Miller 4-sided paddle strop. If I traveled with my straight, that would be what I took along. I have the plain leather to strop and the diamond paste (or could be chromium oxide) in case the razor needed a touch up. It would fit nicely in a pilot's suitcase or anything else I might check.

3. I travel extensively and have been using the TM practice strop to travel.

4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Have you had any adverse effects?

5. goatshaver

goatshaver New Member

Roll up your regular strop and put it in a box or can with a lid or put a rubber band around the rolled strop and put it in a baggy!

6. fritz

fritz New Member

And then you can just throw it in the trash before you leave, and save the weight!:happy102:rofl
    (For the benefit of any :signs110's reading this, you should never treat a strop like that!)

7. fritz

fritz New Member

Sounds a lot cheaper than gas for the car or plane tickets. :D I guess you just hang the thong around one wrist and whirl it in a circle?

8. No ill effects at all.

9. goatshaver

goatshaver New Member

I have been shaving with a straight for more than 15 years, and when I do travel with my strop as I suggested, there has been no adverse affects!

10. I will say this. Using that method I have struggled to gain sufficient altitude.

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

It's all in your mindset, Lee! You just have to try harder!

12. Do you know how many times I have heard that ?

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

I usually don't bring the straights with me on family trips :o, a little dangerous with my young one around....I would think a small paddle strop would work well.

Although, I would think that a hanging strop well packed in a suitcase would not get creased and would be fine....my Tony Miller strops would probably fit along the long side of most overhead carry on suitcases..never tried it though....

I would probably think about making a small bench strop....something like my handamerican bench hone......find a nice piece of leather and glue it securely to a piece of hardwood or something like that..

or better yet go to home depot and have them cut a piece of a marble tile if weight is not an issue...

14. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I've seen hangers get creased and "rippled" from being rolled or bent. I wouldn't do that with a nice strop. For travel, I use a TM 2.5 paddle. Even with the handle, it fits easily into a weekend or "gym" bag.

Jordan

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

Great to know, thanks Jordan :) Mine haven't ever left my home yet...sounds like the paddles are the way to go ;)

16. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I have to laugh at some of the comments, but thanks for the replies, folks. I don't have any little ones around (my only daughter is 22) and like to take my straights if I am going somewhere like the beach or a longer trip where I can relax and enjoy a great shave.

I actually usually use a strop like this (mine has a pasted side and a smooth leather side on the reverse):

[​IMG]

on a trip, but I like a hanging strop a little better. Still, I think I will stick to a paddle strop when traveling.

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

That looks great Blair, I will need to buy a paddle strop one of these days just to try them out. I have thought about one of these or one of Tony Miller's I think he sometimes offers a 2 sided paddle that looked pretty cool too.....:cool: